PDA

View Full Version : Installing Kali on MK/SS808

bnt2025
2013-05-12, 13:06
Hello,

I am trying to install Kali onto my MK808 Android computer but I am having trouble with part 7;

7. Next overwrite both kernel.img and recovery.img in the FInless ROM directory with the kali “kernel.img”.

I can't find a kernel.img anywhere. Am I supposed to make it mysel as I have read the instructions and think they make the full image.

Thank you in advanced,

bnt2025

wireless
2013-05-17, 17:28
Hello,

I am trying to install Kali onto my MK808 Android computer but I am having trouble with part 7;

7. Next overwrite both kernel.img and recovery.img in the FInless ROM directory with the kali “kernel.img”.

I can't find a kernel.img anywhere. Am I supposed to make it mysel as I have read the instructions and think they make the full image.

Thank you in advanced,

bnt2025

After decompressing kali-linux-1.0-armhf-ss808.tar.gz (on a Windows machine), there will be a kali-custom-ss808 directory. Inside that directory there will be 2 files:

kali-custom-ss808.img (~5GB)
kernel.img (~9.5 MB)

It is the much smaller second file, kernel.img, that is the one you will be copying into the "MK808 Finless 1.6 ROM\FinlessROM" folder as both kernel.img and recovery.img so that the ROM Flash Tool will install them onto the SS808.

The other file, kali-custom-ss808.img is the one you dd (under Linux) onto the SD card.

I have tried using Win32DiskImager on Windows to put the image onto the SD card but it always seems to error out. *shrugs*

Currently I am exploring using the rkflashtool (as described in http://www.armtvtech.com/armtvtechforum/viewtopic.php?t=212&p=3860) to accomplish much, if not all, of the SS808 preparation within Linux alone.

clearday
2013-05-18, 13:19
I have been successful with Win32DiskImager, but only after renaming to as referenced in the Kali installation instructions.
Hopefully the packaged image gets updated so that we don't have to do this song and dance anymore.

The dd command also fails at least for me for whatever reason. It will go through the motion of copying the image to the SD Card, but then the copied image still results in initramfs on boot.

After decompressing kali-linux-1.0-armhf-ss808.tar.gz (on a Windows machine), there will be a kali-custom-ss808 directory. Inside that directory there will be 2 files:

kali-custom-ss808.img (~5GB)
kernel.img (~9.5 MB)

It is the much smaller second file, kernel.img, that is the one you will be copying into the "MK808 Finless 1.6 ROM\FinlessROM" folder as both kernel.img and recovery.img so that the ROM Flash Tool will install them onto the SS808.

The other file, kali-custom-ss808.img is the one you dd (under Linux) onto the SD card.

I have tried using Win32DiskImager on Windows to put the image onto the SD card but it always seems to error out. *shrugs*

Currently I am exploring using the rkflashtool (as described in http://www.armtvtech.com/armtvtechforum/viewtopic.php?t=212&p=3860) to accomplish much, if not all, of the SS808 preparation within Linux alone.

bnt2025
2013-06-05, 19:27
After I decompress kali-linux-1.0-armhf-ss808.tar.gz I only have the;

kali-custom-ss808.img

The kernel is no where to be seen. I am using Izarc as my archive manager, could this really affect it?

qwertony
2013-08-10, 01:23
no kernel.img, and the last reply on this post is from the 5 of June, so 2 months and 5 days ago, any news yet?,
is there some place else with this kernel.img?, please post link, thank you.

angel7
2013-08-12, 12:07
no kernel.img, and the last reply on this post is from the 5 of June, so 2 months and 5 days ago, any news yet?,
is there some place else with this kernel.img?, please post link, thank you.

where is the kernel.img,....

hexplain
2013-08-12, 16:58
Same Issue. The latest download (v1.04) doesn't seem to have the accompanying kernel.img whereas the kali-linux-1.0-armhf-ss808.tar.gz (v 1.0) did. Oh, and I tried to use the v1.0 kernel.img with the v1.04 rootfs image and something is not linked right in the remount of the rootfs and I fall to initramfs.

angel7
2013-08-14, 04:08
Same Issue. The latest download (v1.04) doesn't seem to have the accompanying kernel.img whereas the kali-linux-1.0-armhf-ss808.tar.gz (v 1.0) did. Oh, and I tried to use the v1.0 kernel.img with the v1.04 rootfs image and something is not linked right in the remount of the rootfs and I fall to initramfs.

myself make it ?

kalirox
2013-10-04, 17:22
Hi,

same problem, the most recent version to contain kernel.img seems to be kali-linux-1.0-armhf-ss808.tar.gz - I've searched around and more recent versions seem to be a single xz compressed image. I guess there are only two solutions - make do with the 1.0 version until this is fixed, or create a custom image ?