PDA

View Full Version : Kali Linux Live USB install

Pages : [1] 2

muts
2013-02-01, 13:17
Booting and installing Kali from a USB stick is our favorite and fastest method of getting up and running. In order to do this, we first need to image the Kali ISO on to a USB drive.

To read the full document, check our Kali Linux Live USB install (http://docs.kali.org/installation/kali-linux-live-usb-install) article.

If you have any issues with this procedure, please post them in this thread.

ConGiun
2013-03-14, 17:56
Tks so much :)

jaimechiquita111
2013-03-15, 00:41
My Win32 Disk Imager doesn't recognizes the Kali.ISO file.
I've seted it for "all files" and WRITE the ISO for usb but wen I restart, OS NOT FOUND
I'm using BIOS Phoenix.

After done the tutorial with the app Win32 Disk Imager...
ERR: OS not found
linux.bin not found

Space Monkey
2013-03-15, 09:30
Thank you muts (http://forums.kali.org/member.php?1-muts), LiveUSK keys with BackTrack was a real life saver.
Looking forward to see more awesome stuffs from Kali :)

Tera
2013-03-15, 10:31
Hi,
is there a way to use Kali with an multiboot USB and grub2?
I believe I made it with BT5 but sadly my old MutlitBoot USB was not car tired proof.

So I started a new one.
I've got a grub2 installation and a grub.cfg like that:
menuentry "Kali ISO" {
set root=(hd0,1)
loopback loop /iso/kali-linux-1.0-amd64.iso
linux (loop)/live/vmlinuz boot=live iso-scan/filename=/iso/kali-linux-1.0-amd64.iso
initrd (loop)/live/initrd.img
}

But in the end i've got an Error:
Live-boot will now start a shell. The error message was:
Unable to find a medium containing a live file system

I can't remember how i fixed that. any suggestions?

Kind regards
Tera

ironbits
2013-03-15, 17:18
thanks a lot of

AABoyles
2013-03-16, 21:54
I'm trying to install Kali from a Live USB, but I've got an issue. The USB Drive will boot to a Live version flawlessly, but when I try to install from the USB, the installer complains that I don't have the disc in the DVD drive. Well, of course I don't--it should come from the USB drive. And I can't get past that step. Anyone having the same problem?

Ph0xy
2013-03-18, 13:24
I had the same issue until I used the newest version of unetbootin.

wifiuk
2013-03-18, 19:26
I'm trying to install Kali from a Live USB, but I've got an issue. The USB Drive will boot to a Live version flawlessly, but when I try to install from the USB, the installer complains that I don't have the disc in the DVD drive. Well, of course I don't--it should come from the USB drive. And I can't get past that step. Anyone having the same problem?

same issue

Miwalein
2013-03-19, 10:05
i have the same problem. I noticed that he is unable to read the /cdrom/dist/stable/Release file. I used the amd64 image.
I also tried to extract the Files from the ISO but it seems to be currupt and i had a sha1sum mismatch. I will now try to download again and hope that this will work.

MrBlackhat
2013-03-19, 11:13
Yeah I've been having the same problem. Haven't seen a way around it. Anyone else have any ideas? It thinks its booting off a CD? not a usb?

Miwalein
2013-03-19, 12:17

download the image again but don't use google-chrome. after is used wget to download it works

Anonymous_fvr
2013-03-19, 14:57
Yes, i'm having this problem, but i'm don't know how to fix it. I'm want 2 create MIMB flash. Other isos boot carefully, but Kali runs only in live mode. I'm thinking about emulation, but don't know how to realize it.. =((

BackTrack
2013-03-20, 11:02
Thank you :)

devpro
2013-03-20, 19:58
Booting and installing Kali from a USB stick is our favorite and fastest method of getting up and running. In order to do this, we first need to image the Kali ISO on to a USB drive.

To read the full document, check our Kali Linux Live USB install (http://docs.kali.org/installation/kali-linux-live-usb-install) article.

If you have any issues with this procedure, please post them in this thread.

Hi,
i made everything but there is a big problem. Macbook don't see usb flash drive as bootable drive... This problem is on the most of linux distributions except ubuntu. Any ideas?

Chris
2013-03-25, 20:33
Hi,
I have a multi boot USB key with Kali-live inside and a grub4dos boot manager (WinGrub) .

Actions I have performed are :
1) copy the "live" CD-ROM folder into the USB key VFAT partition.
2) rename this folder as "Kali" in order to have a nice ordered file hierarchy on the key (I still have 4 other live OSes).
3) add the grub (legacy) menu :

title Live (686-pae)
kernel /Kali/vmlinuz boot=live noconfig=sudo username=root hostname=kali live-media-path=/Kali persistence
initrd /Kali/initrd.img

live-media-path=/Kali is compulsory since I have changed the live folder name
persistence is here because I also have on this USB key an ext4 partition named persistence with persistence.conf file on it.

Today unsolved problem :
* impossible to mount the FAT USB partition as it is already installed but "lost" during the boot (the volume is shown on the desktop)
* persistence volume is shown on the desktop but should be "invisible"

I am digging intrd shell scripts in order to find a clue ....

overmetal61
2013-03-26, 03:01
Is there a way we can add the persistent arugment to live.cfg by default?

ilikepenguins
2013-03-26, 05:32
i've had good experiences with 'dd', but it apparently doesn't work for every iso AND don't accidentally enter sda (or otherwise overwrite your harddrive)

arch has a good wiki entry for this method https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/USB_Installation_Media

best wishes

~ilikepenguins

vaioifive
2013-04-01, 17:06
Not sure if it's been mentioned here but the latest version of universal usb installer has just added support for kali linux.

Here's the link http://www.pendrivelinux.com/universal-usb-installer-easy-as-1-2-3/

smittyrock
2013-04-03, 23:30
I was having trouble installing it at first, but after dounloading the software again, it worked. I still had more problems though. It insatlled succesfully this time, however, i couldn't get the network to configure DHCP, which resulted in me not being able to setup package manager, so i was forced to select the no option. So now im not able to install packages from kali repositories. What can i do to be able to add the kali repositories?

orochimadit
2013-04-07, 17:17
thanks bro :D

muffinman
2013-04-10, 02:32
same issue

Have you got your boot entry set to boot a CD/DVD device before your USB?
If so, try swapping it to after the USB and see if that fixes it

BenKali
2013-04-12, 06:17
I need immediate help.... When I try to boot Kali on my Touchsmarttm2 either live or graphical install from a USB/Flash Drive, It loads and gives me a Blackscreen... It did the same in the past with BackTrack and I was never able to install BackTack on my Hp Touchsmart tm2 i3.. I am stuck installing Kali because of this Blackscreen... I need immediate help....

BarryGreenstien
2013-04-21, 07:30
Hi all, before I even download Kali Linux, I was just wondering if the backtrack 5 r3/2/1 problem had been fixed in Kali Linux. When I attempted to install backtrack 5 with a flash drive, upon typing startx my monitor would go black and the monitor light would be blinking. Simultaneously, my Radeon dual 5870's along with my desktop would remain on and I noticed my Radeon graphics cards would blow out extremely hot air, not even crisis 3 would cause this. Anyway, today I had decided to give backtrack 5 one last chance after previously wasted days, and followed these instructions because other instructions had failed me,

http://backtrack-linux.org/forums/showthread.php?t=48737

I was able to log in successfully after modifying and entering startx. Next, installed backtrack 5 r2, however; after restarting my desktop, I had the black screen of death with the blinking underscore... I was extremely frustrated not only because I had no backup, I had no recovery disks. Luckily I was able to find recovery disks online, burned them and started windows start up repair, after two hours, start up repair had failed and my desktop had restarted. Amazingly, windows gave me an option to ignore and continue using windows, next windows began checking my hard-drive and boom, windows 7 is fixed!
My specifications are
Alienware area 51
Intel core i7 960 bloomfield socket 1366 LGA
Radeon HD 5870
12gb RAM
Thank you...
By the way, Backtrack works using Vmware Workstation, but I wanted to install it in order to use pyrit and my gpus to go through dictionaries much faster because my alienware m18x is too slow, also my laptop has nvidia graphics cards. May that be the problem with my desktop? If so, I may consider selling my graphics cards and buying a nvidia titan. thanks.

longjidin
2013-04-23, 08:01
i am using Linux Live USB Creator for 3 years now, it's stable and easy to use and i install Kali Linux using this....very easy try here http://www.linuxliveusb.com/downloads/?stable and for grub repair try this http://longjidinz.blogspot.com/2011/06/grub2-repair-in-backtrack-5.html update the live Kali Linux the install grub2 maybe this will help

happy hunting!!

DragonFart
2013-04-27, 13:08
has anyone ever attempted installing Kali on usb stick(4g)? if yes, care to share some howto :)

henrx
2013-04-28, 02:32
I used Unebootin in windows to make a bootable kali usb. worked great - does it take forever to install? backtrack was pretty quick.

tonyfalc
2013-04-30, 14:39
I have downloaded Kali 1.0.2 via the website and installed it on a multiboot usb. Kali boots up and runs fine; however, contrary to what appears in the various How-Tos, the grub boot menu does not present me with the option to Install (either in Graphical or Text mode); all I have are various "Live" options.

Any advice?

root-boy
2013-04-30, 15:11
When you select live, are you able to boot into live mode ?

zimmaro
2013-04-30, 16:28
hi:)

thanks for the "method under linux" described in the documentation
http://docs.kali.org/installation/kali-linux-live-usb-install
WORKED on my usb sandisk 16GB (persistence or live)

PS: For any interested I did a "" "video" "" up (kali-usb-pendrive) "" booting in virtualbox ""
http://vimeo.com/65144387
nothing new! & sorry for quality!

tonyfalc
2013-04-30, 20:02
When you select live, are you able to boot into live mode ?

Yes, Kali runs fine in live mode. I just can't install it...

nishant
2013-04-30, 20:07
i downloaded Win32 Disk Imager from the provide link..but after dowloading, it doesn't run. it shows about some missing file. what to do now please help

tonyfalc
2013-05-01, 13:34
I have downloaded Kali 1.0.2 via the website and installed it on a multiboot usb. Kali boots up and runs fine; however, contrary to what appears in the various How-Tos, the grub boot menu does not present me with the option to Install (either in Graphical or Text mode); all I have are various "Live" options.

Any advice?

I have downloaded Kali 1.0.3 and see exactly the same thing, viz., that the Kali Splash screen presents me only with the options to do Live boots (three choices, I believe, regular, Forensic and Persistent). I am not presented with any "Install" options.

As I mentioned before, I am using a multiboot usb stick (prepared with YUMI), and when I choose any of the "Live" options, Kali boots fine. I just can't seem to install it.

I would appreciate any insight.

podux2
2013-05-04, 02:12
its possible to install Kali on USB not as Boot Live Usb but as primary O.S like i install it on HDD , so i can update it without lost update after reboot it , i would appreaciate your help, btw sorry for my bad english isnt my primary language

DoubleY82
2013-05-07, 13:41
Greetings,

Trying to create a Live USB of Kali Linux using Ubuntu 12.04, but not having any luck. I tried using the Ubuntu's Create a Starter Disk, but not having any luck cause it doesn't allow me to select the .iso.

I was successful to perform the Linux cmds shown on - http://docs.kali.org/installation/kali-linux-live-usb-install but when I reboot my machine to and try to boot the up with the live usb, it doesn't work.

Any help will be much appreciated.

Cheers

DoubleY82
2013-05-07, 16:21
Greetings,

Trying to create a Live USB of Kali Linux using Ubuntu 12.04, but not having any luck. I tried using the Ubuntu's Create a Starter Disk, but not having any luck cause it doesn't allow me to select the .iso.

I was successful to perform the Linux cmds shown on - http://docs.kali.org/installation/kali-linux-live-usb-install but when I reboot my machine to and try to boot the up with the live usb, it doesn't work.

Any help will be much appreciated.

Cheers

I was able to resolve the issue, and got the usb live working.

Cheers

BarryGreenstien
2013-05-10, 01:54
Hi guys i'm back, well I now permanently give up trying to install backtrack 5. I have been able to boot kali linux via flash drive, but once I am at the desktop there is no installation icon and once I reboot my desktop loads windows 7. It it possible to install kali to my hard drive?

Spectre117
2013-05-13, 23:15
Ok, having some install issues. Installing from a USB, on a Samsung Series 7 Slate. (Im guessing i need to remake the USB from the Galaxy Note version of Kali, if I got to). However, I can complete everything up to the actual install the system step. However, it says the step failed, even though partitions have been set up appropriately. No idea hat could be causing this, and it doesnt give me any errors as to why its failing. I think it could have somthing to do with the OEM and Recovery partitions ont he tablet that I am not removing, but I will if I ahve to. Does anyone know if the Galaxy Note version of Kali will work better for installing onto the Series 7 Slate, or if I can bypass it all together (i have a usb hub that i am using to use keybord, flashdrive, and mouse as needed so not too worried about getting drivers programmed, just need to get it installed).

zartas
2013-05-17, 05:50
i haven't find yet any multiboot usb creating software that supports the "install" menu for kali. i think best option is tha win32disk software the one i test and works

xxyxxyxx
2013-05-17, 09:50
HI everyone...

i haven't find yet any multiboot usb creating software that supports the "install" menu for kali. i think best option is tha win32disk software the one i test and works

Have you tried launching kali, going into "application/system tools/install Kali linux" ?

Plus, for all those who are experiencing trouble with live USB, try this method (you can replace "ext2" by "ext4" during the creation of the partition: http://forums.kali.org/showthread.php?3450-How-to-make-a-PERSISTENT-live-usb-on-windows-using-ext2-filesystem&highlight=ext2

Let me now if it helps

Rikrake
2013-05-28, 22:27
Hi :)

I have a question, maybe a stupid question.

Is the architecture of the iso is important ?

I ask this question, because I have a Kali live USB AMD64 and it works perfectly on PCs with AMD but it's impossible to boot on PCs with Intel :p

Thank you :)

xxyxxyxx
2013-05-29, 10:13
For all those who are experiencing trouble with live USB, try this method (you can replace "ext2" by "ext4" during the creation of the partition: http://forums.kali.org/showthread.ph...highlight=ext2

manngaurav
2013-06-14, 05:35
Hey i tried to install live usb on the usb itself seems dumb but that,s what was written on this http://docs.kali.org/installation/kali-linux-encrypted-disk-install, i asked to create some partitions but it produced an error saying soemthing like you cant do this before rebooting, after i reboot nothing happens only a black screen appears , so i thought maybe i could put the iso file again by formatting the usb, but n ow my usb is reduced to just 230MB from 8GB, can't format it using the HP disk format tool it says that disk is write protected, please help

note:the colourful menu shown in the link , it was not in my case i had the blue screen just like you have it in windows BIOS

auastyle
2013-06-18, 15:29
I've succed make multiboot. Kali, Ubuntu, Ubuntu Server, BlankOn, Xubuntu, and Windows XP. I use MultiSystem to make them... :D

RageinHell
2013-06-23, 02:57
If I use the install option will it wipe Windows 7?

N3XU5
2013-06-27, 17:31
I just use the dd linux utility. It worked fine for me.

ExodusTime
2013-07-10, 20:22
i have a problem installing Kali Linux 1.0.3-i386 with an USB on my Toshiba-NB_500 with Phoenix Bios... Kali istallation says there is a problem "Detecting and mounting the CD-ROM drivers" but, if im installing from an USB, why i need CD-ROM drivers? and in /dev/cdrom says there is nothing... what i need to do to troubleshoot this problem?

Thanks, and sorry if that does not go here.

hansol69
2013-07-13, 10:54
Hey i tried to install live usb on the usb itself seems dumb but that,s what was written on this http://docs.kali.org/installation/kali-linux-encrypted-disk-install, i asked to create some partitions but it produced an error saying soemthing like you cant do this before rebooting, after i reboot nothing happens only a black screen appears , so i thought maybe i could put the iso file again by formatting the usb, but n ow my usb is reduced to just 230MB from 8GB, can't format it using the HP disk format tool it says that disk is write protected, please help I had a similar problem with my 8gb Cruzer Edge USB the HP disk Format tool won't format using the Quick format it says write protected but if you do a full format that will work.

I've still not managed to get kali successfully installed on my USB (need to do it that way as I Don't have a cd/dvd in my laptop) I tried both methods described in the official installation instructions, and also using unetbootin but non seem to work at all just end up making the USB unusable. I'm going to try with Universal USB installer and see if that works.

1337xir
2013-07-20, 18:13
Thank you very much. I also found an article here about installing Kali + Encrypting it, although I wanted to ask if you can do this all at ones.
Install Kali on a USB drive + add persistence + encrypt it.

Can anyone shed some light on my question?
Also in what order should I do this?

k0s
2013-07-22, 23:39
I understand what you're wanting to achieve. Is it possible? yes. In order to apply packages during the installation, the packages would need to be available and not interrupt the sequence. Makes sense, right? The prompt would have to be a part of the install package. Sure, there are ways. But in the end what you have ...may just be a false sense of security, while operating under default ROOT user. Under this premise, without a serious amount of system monitoring, you could turn a slight network intrusion into a massacre. Security is best administered in layers. Full disk ecrypt is not by any means free from vulnerability. The majority of targeted attacks actually look for these opportunities. Even with removable drives / containers - files (or efforts) can be launched during hibernation periods or to be launched from a cold-boot....etc etc... I could get into the technical value in more detail but I would assume a solution is what you are looking for. Check out TrueCrypt (but do some research and heed the warnings) Another great idea from the install is to partition correctly and accordingly. Having a plan for your data and an encrypted LVM according to sensitivity is a good place to begin your research. Make no mistake - Attacks are real and are exponentially increasing in complexity as technology evolves. Your best defense, besides setting stored information values to zero and TURNING THINGS OFF, is not giving attackers such big targets to point at. This isn't tin-foil hat stuff anymore. If security is a priority for you - study it. The answer to your question will surface when you see the level and severity at which "they" will go to side step your encryption. food for thought

Laz
2013-07-31, 21:37
I've seted it for "all files" and WRITE the ISO for usb but wen I restart, OS NOT FOUND
I'm using BIOS Phoenix.

linux.bin not found

Same problem here, Win32 Disk Imager, nor any other live USB creator I have tried will recognize the distro download as an ISO. Would appreciate any help - thanks!

Baash05
2013-08-04, 13:55
I've tried a few times and no matter what option I select I can't get KALI running. I've tried a few USB sticks, and an SD card, but no matter what I do, I always get the same message.
"the CD-ROM does not seem to contain a valid 'Release'..."
I installed Backtrack5 with no issue, but nothing I do seems to get KALI running..
Is this a known issue with the install? Google comes at me with a few others asking for help on the issue, but nothing seems to get me through..

I find it very funny BTW that the method proposed in several posts, leads to a windows app.. :) Irony seems to be lost on posters. Ha.

SpartanNihilist
2013-08-07, 22:50
Used dd command on Ubuntu 12.04 LTS. Appeared to work with sudo. On some machines the USB will not begin boot, on another it says isolinux.bin missing. Its a 16 gig usb. Have used Linux for seven or more years with dozens of distro installs from CD to USB. Never had these issues with unetbootin. Since I am following directions I am unsure what the problem is. Any help?

dexvils
2013-08-13, 01:36
thanks a lot broh..

rockmike
2013-08-27, 17:07
hey,
i downloaded the 64 bit *.iso from http://www.kali.org/downloads/ first with Google Chrome and then with Internet Explorer. I tried several USB-Sticks and a lot of tools for creating a bootable USB-Stick (unetbootin, rufus, universal-USB-Installer, LinuxLive USB Creator, dd and of course the win32diskImager) and it won't work.
When I start my pc I can select the USB-Stick in the boot-menu but the stick doesn't boot. Instead of booting the linux live system, Windows starts. If I deactivate booting from the HDD in the Bios, nothing happens. I tried it with two computers: a 5 year old pc (Windows 7) and my new laptop of the samsung series 9 (Windows 8).
The *.iso is not damaged I think, 'cause it works in VirtualBox...

So can anyone of you help me or has an idea how to get it work?

Hope for anwers!

Quest
2013-08-30, 01:02

So can anyone of you help me or has an idea how to get it work?

Hope for anwers!

http://askubuntu.com/questions/208022/unable-to-boot-from-a-usb-drive-on-samsung-series-9-notebook

rockmike
2013-09-01, 18:27
http://askubuntu.com/questions/208022/unable-to-boot-from-a-usb-drive-on-samsung-series-9-notebook

Thanks for your reply. Ubuntu works on my Samsung Series 9 but not Kali...

kaltaylor
2013-09-12, 02:11
thanks a lot!:D

RedForman
2013-09-14, 11:32
Question: Downloaded the mini iso to create a live-USB but when the stick boots, it only gives me the options to install, and not to run as live. Kali 1.05 64 bit mini iso downloaded. Thanks folks.

rickie
2013-09-19, 13:00
for some reason my computer wont boot past "verifying dmi data pool" on a usb stick. I'v tried different tools for creating the the live usb; rusuf, uui, lili, even the win32 image creator recommended in the tutorial (this one corrupted my usb stick). iv successfully booted different versions of linux on my system already both from usb stick and dvd's but kali just doesnt seem to load past that screen. iv tried booting it on my computer at work which is intel based and i use the amd64 iso and it worked perfectly.
any advice/help is greatfully appreciated.
system: amd mobo dual core 2.3ghz, 4g ram and nvidia graphx card currently running win8 and BT5.

ancylla
2013-09-23, 22:43
I'm using BIOS Phoenix.

linux.bin not found

Hello, i am having the exact same problem, same bios as well. Tried both 64 and 32 bit, multiple downloads of each, checked the downloads were not corrupt, followed the instructions on kali.org all to no avail. I have wiped the hard drive with parted magic, still nothing.

Thanks

rollingst0ne
2013-09-27, 15:17
Try LiLi USB creator, worked perfectly for me. Its Linux Live USB Creator.

mshroomz
2013-09-29, 15:18
Hello all i am a noob when it comes to kali this is my first time doing live usb option i got it all running ok and i got persistence done correctly.I just have a 2 quick questions, since i have USB persistence does that mean when i update that it will stick and not dissapear soon as i reboot.the reason i ask is because the persistence folders contents never change after i update but when i reboot and log back on and try to upgrade software it says that its all up to date and thats after i downloaded the 340MB update. if anyone could please help me i would appreciate it.Question #2 how do i install programs like firefox and make them actually stay and load when i use persistence?

KaliKat
2013-09-30, 22:37
Hi everyone.

For those of you who have tried everything under the sun to get Kali to boot from a USB (Live or otherwise), I feel your pain. Here's what I discovered...hopefully it will help someone avoid the anguish.

If your BIOS has UEFI enabled, you're screwed unless you can enable "Legacy" support and disable "Secure Boot". But EVEN THEN, you may be screwed. You can try some of the UEFI fixes out there (as I have done) but none of them have worked, at least for me. No matter what I try, the USB stick is simply ignored during the boot process and Windows happily rears its ugly login screen. My particular BIOS (American Megatrends) just flat hates booting from a USB, no matter what combination of changes I make.

As to the USB itself, I tried:
LiLi, unetbootin, Universal-USB-installer, Win32 Disk Imager (ad nauseam)

I am running Windows 8 (unfortunately) on a new machine (i7 4700 Haswell blah) and while the laptop is a screamer, Windows 8 and my BIOS just ignore UEFI settings.

Until (and ONLY until) Kali distro is built to address the UEFI issue, I'm afraid we are left running Kali in a VBox (or similar)...which actually works great, but totally not portable.

Anyway, best of luck to everyone.

jjd
2013-10-03, 01:22
I have followed the directions to make a live cd with persistence and they work flawlessly! but i would like to mix it up a little.... I have a 64gb usb disk that i would like to create 3 partitions on....
1) Kali Live (≈3gb)
2) persistence (≈27gb)
3) fat32 storage drive (≈27gb)

Heres my problem. If I create the fat32 partition with gparted when I create the persistence partition it works for mac or linux but if i try to use the usb disc on a windows machine the fat32 partition "needs to be formatted". If I do that it wipes out the first partition (Kali Live). I could get this to work by doing a full install to the usb but I find a live disk runs faster even with persistence and if I ever screw something up I can just delete the files from the persistence partition and stat again.

if anyone knows how I can accomplish this I would love some help!

zalan.szakolci
2013-10-20, 15:05
Hi everyone,

I am having trouble with installing Kali from a live usb. I can boot the live flawlessly, however every time I try to install the system, the installation fails. I've tried downloading again, and many different tools (lili usb creator, universal usb install, unetbootin), but the result is the same. I paste the last few lines of the syslog. If anyone could help me, I would really appreciate it.

Oct 20 16:23:01 main-menu[4805]: DEBUG: resolver (libgcc1): package doesn't exist (ignored)
Oct 20 16:23:01 main-menu[4805]: INFO: Menu item 'user-setup-udeb' selected
Oct 20 16:23:08 main-menu[4805]: DEBUG: resolver (libgcc1): package doesn't exist (ignored)
Oct 20 16:23:09 main-menu[4805]: INFO: Menu item 'clock-setup' selected
Oct 20 14:23:05 clock-setup: Sun Oct 20 14:23:05 UTC 2013
Oct 20 14:23:05 clock-setup: rdate: adjust local clock by -7203.368444 seconds
Oct 20 14:23:06 main-menu[4805]: DEBUG: resolver (libgcc1): package doesn't exist (ignored)
Oct 20 14:23:06 main-menu[4805]: INFO: Menu item 'disk-detect' selected
Oct 20 14:23:06 anna-install: Installing mmc-modules
Oct 20 14:23:06 mtp-probe: checking bus 1, device 4: "/sys/devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:1a.0/usb1/1-1/1-1.5"
Oct 20 14:23:06 mtp-probe: checking bus 2, device 3: "/sys/devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:1d.0/usb2/2-1/2-1.3"
Oct 20 14:23:06 mtp-probe: checking bus 2, device 4: "/sys/devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:1d.0/usb2/2-1/2-1.8"
Oct 20 14:23:06 mtp-probe: bus: 2, device: 3 was not an MTP device
Oct 20 14:23:06 mtp-probe: bus: 2, device: 4 was not an MTP device
Oct 20 14:23:06 mtp-probe: bus: 1, device: 4 was not an MTP device
Oct 20 14:23:06 hw-detect: Missing modules 'eth1394 (FireWire ethernet)
Oct 20 14:23:07 check-missing-firmware: /dev/.udev/firmware-missing does not exist, skipping
Oct 20 14:23:07 check-missing-firmware: /run/udev/firmware-missing does not exist, skipping
Oct 20 14:23:07 check-missing-firmware: no missing firmware in /dev/.udev/firmware-missing /run/udev/firmware-missing
Oct 20 14:23:08 check-missing-firmware: /dev/.udev/firmware-missing does not exist, skipping
Oct 20 14:23:08 check-missing-firmware: /run/udev/firmware-missing does not exist, skipping
Oct 20 14:23:08 check-missing-firmware: no missing firmware in /dev/.udev/firmware-missing /run/udev/firmware-missing
Oct 20 14:23:08 main-menu[4805]: (process:8917): modprobe: invalid option -- 'l'
Oct 20 14:23:08 main-menu[4805]: (process:8917): modprobe: invalid option -- 'l'
Oct 20 14:23:09 main-menu[4805]: DEBUG: resolver (libgcc1): package doesn't exist (ignored)
Oct 20 14:23:09 main-menu[4805]: INFO: Menu item 'partman-base' selected
Oct 20 14:23:09 anna-install: Installing partman-auto-lvm
Oct 20 14:23:09 anna[9594]: DEBUG: resolver (cdebconf-udeb): package doesn't exist (ignored)
Oct 20 14:23:09 anna[9594]: DEBUG: resolver (di-utils): package doesn't exist (ignored)
Oct 20 14:23:09 anna[9594]: DEBUG: resolver (kernel-image-3.7-trunk-amd64-di): package doesn't exist (ignored)
Oct 20 14:23:09 anna[9594]: DEBUG: resolver (core-modules-3.7-trunk-amd64-di): package doesn't exist (ignored)
Oct 20 14:23:09 anna[9594]: DEBUG: resolver (fat-modules): package doesn't exist (ignored)
Oct 20 14:23:09 anna[9594]: DEBUG: resolver (libdebian-installer4-udeb): package doesn't exist (ignored)
Oct 20 14:23:09 anna[9594]: DEBUG: resolver (archdetect): package doesn't exist (ignored)
Oct 20 14:23:09 anna[9594]: DEBUG: resolver (hw-detect): package doesn't exist (ignored)
Oct 20 14:23:09 anna[9594]: DEBUG: retrieving partman-auto-lvm 47
Oct 20 14:23:09 anna[9594]: DEBUG: retrieving partman-lvm 82
Oct 20 14:23:10 anna[9594]: DEBUG: retrieving lvm2-udeb 2.02.95-7
Oct 20 14:23:10 anna-install: Installing partman-auto-crypto
Oct 20 14:23:10 anna[9694]: DEBUG: resolver (cdebconf-udeb): package doesn't exist (ignored)
Oct 20 14:23:10 anna[9694]: DEBUG: resolver (di-utils): package doesn't exist (ignored)
Oct 20 14:23:10 anna[9694]: DEBUG: resolver (kernel-image-3.7-trunk-amd64-di): package doesn't exist (ignored)
Oct 20 14:23:10 anna[9694]: DEBUG: resolver (core-modules-3.7-trunk-amd64-di): package doesn't exist (ignored)
Oct 20 14:23:10 anna[9694]: DEBUG: resolver (fat-modules): package doesn't exist (ignored)
Oct 20 14:23:10 anna[9694]: DEBUG: resolver (libdebian-installer4-udeb): package doesn't exist (ignored)
Oct 20 14:23:10 anna[9694]: DEBUG: resolver (archdetect): package doesn't exist (ignored)
Oct 20 14:23:10 anna[9694]: DEBUG: resolver (hw-detect): package doesn't exist (ignored)
Oct 20 14:23:10 anna[9694]: DEBUG: retrieving partman-auto-crypto 19
Oct 20 14:23:10 anna[9694]: DEBUG: retrieving partman-crypto 57
Oct 20 14:23:11 kernel: [ 396.557198] btrfs: Unknown symbol zlib_deflateInit2 (err 0)
Oct 20 14:23:11 kernel: [ 396.596819] JFS: nTxBlock = 8192, nTxLock = 65536
Oct 20 14:23:12 md-devices: mdadm: No arrays found in config file or automatically
Oct 20 14:23:12 partman: No matching physical volumes found
Oct 20 14:23:12 partman: Reading all physical volumes. This may take a while...
Oct 20 14:23:12 partman: No volume groups found
Oct 20 14:23:12 partman-lvm: No volume groups found
Oct 20 14:23:39 partman: mke2fs 1.42.5 (29-Jul-2012)
Oct 20 14:23:41 apt-install: Queueing package e2fsprogs for later installation
Oct 20 14:23:41 main-menu[4805]: (process:9580): WARNING: could not open /lib/modules/3.7-trunk-amd64/modules.builtin: No such file or directory
Oct 20 14:23:41 main-menu[4805]: (process:9580): /bin/perform_recipe: line 38: reuse_partitions: not found
Oct 20 14:23:41 main-menu[4805]: DEBUG: resolver (libgcc1): package doesn't exist (ignored)
Oct 20 14:23:41 main-menu[4805]: INFO: Menu item 'live-installer' selected
Oct 20 14:23:41 base-installer: info: Using squashfs support for /cdrom/live/filesystem.squashfs
Oct 20 14:23:41 anna-install: Installing squashfs-modules
Oct 20 14:23:41 anna[12696]: DEBUG: resolver (kernel-image-3.7-trunk-amd64-di): package doesn't exist (ignored)
Oct 20 14:23:41 anna[12696]: DEBUG: retrieving squashfs-modules-3.7-trunk-amd64-di 3.7.2-0+kali8
Oct 20 14:28:02 kernel: [ 687.152850] SQUASHFS error: Unable to read data cache entry [50f042ba]
Oct 20 14:28:02 kernel: [ 687.153161] SQUASHFS error: xz_dec_run error, data probably corrupt
Oct 20 14:28:02 kernel: [ 687.163082] SQUASHFS error: Unable to read data cache entry [50f042ba]
Oct 20 14:28:02 base-installer: error: The tar process copying the live system failed (only 201124 out of 290107 files have been copied, last file was ).
Oct 20 14:28:02 main-menu[4805]: (process:12641): tar: read error: Input/output error
Oct 20 14:28:02 main-menu[4805]: (process:12641): tar: short read
Oct 20 14:28:02 main-menu[4805]: WARNING **: Configuring 'live-installer' failed with error code 1
Oct 20 14:28:02 main-menu[4805]: WARNING **: Menu item 'live-installer' failed.
Oct 20 14:28:59 main-menu[4805]: INFO: Modifying debconf priority limit from 'high' to 'medium'
Oct 20 14:28:59 debconf: Setting debconf/priority to medium
Oct 20 14:28:59 main-menu[4805]: DEBUG: resolver (libgcc1): package doesn't exist (ignored)
Oct 20 14:29:07 main-menu[4805]: INFO: Menu item 'save-logs' selected
Oct 20 14:29:20 main-menu[4805]: DEBUG: resolver (libgcc1): package doesn't exist (ignored)
Oct 20 14:29:29 main-menu[4805]: INFO: Menu item 'di-utils-exit-installer' selected

guardian
2013-10-21, 14:15
I was successful in making live boot USB using Win 32 image burner,
but i am not able to utilize remaining 6 GB of my 8 GB pendrive,
it is giving following error. what should i do?

sami
2013-11-02, 19:11
i install kali linux 1.0.5 on my laptop with windows7 than when i restart isee black sreen with blinking underscore in anther mean i have than same problem
what the recovery disks you use
and how you fixed

r0tati0n
2013-11-10, 09:07
Is there a way to add the persistent partition regardless of the name of the USB device?
E.G: adding the uuid to the script instead of /sdb?

Secondly:
Is it possible to modify the live.cfg in the isolinux folder so that I do not have to add "persistence" all the time?
I tried this by editing the kali image with ultraiso, but the CD wouldn boot afterwards. Same thing with the USB stick.

My overall goal would be a USB stick with a full kali that is capable of adding and keeping updates AND still works on every Computer plugged into.

j283lwwme2
2013-11-19, 21:13
I have a couple pretty noob questions I'm hoping someone can help me with...

1. What is the advantage of installing a "Live Kali" instead of just a regular Kali installation? What's the value of being "fresh" each time?
2. If I setup a persistence partition, and mount it according to the instructions, what is actually persisted in terms of OS settings and packages? I notice that there are over 100 updates in the system updates, so are these updates persisted if installed?
3. Why is the recommended partitioning 4GB FAT32, and rest EXT4? Why not just make it all EXT4? ...and why only 4GB? When I ran the system updates, it ran out of space on the /rootfs (which had been given 3GB).

I realize these are fundamental questions, so I appreciate the noob help in advance.

zhanghaixia
2013-11-24, 06:40
I'm trying to set up Kali from a Stay USB, but I've got FUT 14 Coins Xbox (http://www.fifacoinfast.com) a issue. The USB Generate will start to a Stay edition absolutely, but when I try to set up from the Fifa 14 PC Coins (http://www.fifa14coinsale.co.uk/) USB, the set up program gripes that I don't have the difficult disk in the DVD produce. Well, of course I don't--it should come from the USB produce. And I can't get previous that level. Anyone having the same problem?

c4bix
2013-11-28, 09:51
you can use LiLi Creator "Linux Live Creator". :p

samuri
2013-12-10, 20:43
I am banging my head here.
I'm trying to install the 64 bit version. I've tried putting it on a USB stick from a macbook, a linux box and a windows machine. I've used different usb sticks, unique downloads of the iso and different installation tools. Installs to USB fine, fails on boot up with very similar messages along the lines of failed sector.
Can't see anyone complaining of the same problems. It's utterly bizarre. I don't expect anyone to fix this, just wanted to vent steam.
Just tried installing ubuntu on one of the sticks, boots up fine. I would say it's a fundamental problem with the ISO but clearly others would have it too. Very confused.

ctyphus
2013-12-10, 21:18
So I have a major issue. I downloaded kali 64 bit, put it on a flash drive using the guide you guys have and followed all of them to try and install it. I partitioned my drives and went to install the system but I just got an error about halfway through saying it cant install the system. so now the only way I can even use my pc at the moment is to launch Kali Linux live through my usb. So my question is, what do I do to get it to install correctly? I encrypted one of my drives during the first half of setting everything up so I don't know if I'm screwed now? Maybe I can get a friend to put everything on his usb and try to install it again?

weasel
2013-12-11, 03:49
Installing to a USB / removable media:
You may follow other directions to install to a DVD.
For USB / flash media devices, the scheme seems to go like this:
Download the ISO to somewhere.
dd the ISO to somewhere, maybe a USB / flash / removable media.
DO NOT try to update, upgrade or dist-upgrade the target (of=) of the dd.
Now boot to the USB / flash / removable media
Finally, select the Install to a different USB / flash / removable media with AT LEAST 12 GB of storage. You MUST have a network connection available for a long time; I do not yet understand why, but it will not reliable install unless it can see the Internet.
Choose your partitioning, etc. as your disks, USB, flash or other media permit.
I worked this for a couple of weeks to learn these conditions.
Please contribute when / as you are able.
weasel

samuri
2013-12-11, 21:08
Installing to a USB / removable media:
Choose your partitioning, etc. as your disks, USB, flash or other media permit.
I worked this for a couple of weeks to learn these conditions.
Please contribute when / as you are able.
weasel

Oh dear, that sounds like a mess. Plus when I try dd-ing from my macbook it creates a non-bootable USB

What a pity. Never had any problems with any live USB distro before. I'm pretty frustrated with this one.

juan_sanz
2013-12-20, 20:32
Hey what's up. im having problems when booting it from my SanDisk Cruzer Micro usb stick. It does not boot, but my bios recognizes the USB.
My laptop is an HP and has Windows 8 installed. I disabled secure boot and legacy support.
Is there any incompatibility between HP and SanDisk USB's?
If not, why does it not boot? I burned it with Unetbootin and LiLi and any of them worked.

Thanks in advance^^

samuri
2013-12-22, 19:44
Oh dear, that sounds like a mess. Plus when I try dd-ing from my macbook it creates a non-bootable USB

What a pity. Never had any problems with any live USB distro before. I'm pretty frustrated with this one.

Just to help then.
I tried writing to DVD which worked perfectly. No idea why I had problems with USB but it's clear I'm not the only one.
If you're still having issues with USB, try writing to a DVD and see if that works.

juan_sanz
2013-12-23, 20:11
Which program did u use to burn the iso into a DVD? :3

MGSchmidt
2013-12-27, 16:52
Good evening muts,

I'm sorry, I've seen the hint to post problems with the live usb-installation here too late. So I do it now again - here.
I've installed Kali Linux 1.0.5 with unetbootin 5.85 and along with the named document "Kali Linux Live USB install". The article was quiet good and easy to work with it.

The installations worked both. That one with unetbootin and the official one.
My problem is, that no installation starts, allthough USB-Booting is allowed in the BIOS.

Is here anybody who has a good idea, what my mistake is?

TIA,
MGS

MGSchmidt
2013-12-27, 18:48
Hi Juan,
I took K3b. It works with gnome, too.

Regards,
MGS

juan_sanz
2013-12-28, 14:09
Hi, I will try with that program, thanks ^^

juan_sanz
2013-12-29, 22:25
Hello everyone, I finally booted Backtrack and Kali Linux from USB, but now I have a problem and its that both dont recognize my wireless card :S. I booted it on my notebook(small one) and works without problems.
My laptop is an HP Pavilon g6 Notebook PC and has Windows 8.
Anyone knows how to fix it?

Thanks in advance, Juan.

Akshay
2013-12-30, 10:19
I was installing kali linux on my windows7 pc from usb.During installation,I did something wrong(during memory partition) and now my usb size is reduced from 3.76GB to2.35GB.Please,help on how to fix it.

bofh28
2013-12-31, 01:40
I used dd if=kali.iso of=/dev/sdc bs=512k to create my usb thumb drive install of kali 1.05. It works well until I boot into windows 7 and try to add a file to the thumb drive. Windows 7 says the drive is unformatted and offers to format it for me. I used fdisk -l and the partition type is 17 a Hidden IFS (e.g., HPFS) partition. I then tried LiLi to create a bootable thumb drive and it writes out the file, everything boots fine, but it looks like the files and folders are a little different between the 2 different methods of writing the iso to the thumb drive.
1) Why can't windows write files to the drive when I use dd to write out the iso?
2) Why do the 2 methods (dd vs LiLi) create slightly different layouts?

redstring
2014-01-12, 20:30
Does anyone know for sure that Kali Linux is bootable from a USB with the Series 3 Chromebook?

I've used this guide here (http://docs.kali.org/armel-armhf/install-kali-samsung-chromebook) from Kali's docs, using the 1.0.6 ARMHF Kali, but I'm running into this error: ERROR: cgpt add: GptSanityCheck() returned 2: GPT_ERROR_INVALID_HEADERS. This happens after trying cgpt add for KERN-A or KERN-B.

I have:
[LIST]
Confirmed the location of the USB at /dev/sda
Quadruple checked commands entered
Checked SHA1 sum

Cgpt show /dev/sda throws back the same error.

Any ideas?

Rysik
2014-01-24, 14:39
Put on usb kali 1.06 amd64. after reboot-windows 8.1 hangs, nothing works. 2 times pereustanavlival windows.

btinsley81
2014-01-24, 22:45
I'm in college majoring in Cybersecurity and very new to Linux. I started using Backtrack 5 R3 as dual boot with Windows 8 a few months ago to prepare for Linux security classes and now that Backtrack is no longer being maintained I want to remove it and install Kali. Is there a way to do this without wiping my entire HDD? If so any help in that direction would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

nafets
2014-01-25, 12:15
What about a usb installation with persistence through a USB installer? such as Unetbootin Universal USB installer.

hack.root//T
2014-01-26, 03:11
Will all the services work when you do everything in the tutorial. Because I did it and I cannot install nvidia drivers can someone help me. PM me please

nafets
2014-01-26, 03:45
Installing from a live CD directly to a USB pendrive worked flawlessly for me.

Used a USB 3.0, 16GB scandisk. Grub had issues with installing automatically. I had to specify the Master Boot Record to be set to (in my case) /dev/sdc.

FranklynA
2014-01-30, 23:29
I'm using BIOS Phoenix.

linux.bin not found

For some technical reason Win32 is good to make Windows USB ISO's boot, but is no good to make Linux USB ISO's boot.
Download Unetbootin (extract if necessary & run - installing it is not necessary). I know for a fact that Unetbootin always works for creating Linux USB ISO boots on a windows system.

Another solution is to Install VMWare or Virtualbox and drop your downloaded Linux ISO into it & run.

Good Luck

Yuki
2014-02-01, 07:32
I've tried to install KALI live usb
then I make a persistence mode and successfully,
but when i update repository and after the restart and only appear blank screen, even though I've been following the appropriate instructions here.

No one knows the solution?

Porko
2014-02-02, 11:32
Hi everyone. I've been trying to integrate Kali (as substitution to BT5) into the pretty old Katana multiboot "environment" (if it doesn't ring a bell, you can pertain it as simply multiboot pendrive using syslinux; you place each of your distros into separate folder and add apropriate boot menu section to .cfg file) using guidelines have been laid in this topic, generally with success (it boots in live mode), but there is a thing that bothers me. BT5 didn't have "tools", "pool" and "dists" folder in the root of iso image. What should I do with theese? Should I place them in the folder with live image of kali, or in the root of pendrive? Or probably some another options should be added to kernel parameters string? My ultimate goal is to not only make it bootable, but also ready to be installed from the pendrive, won't the absense of aforementioned folders prevent or somehow break setup process?

slym
2014-02-05, 12:55
Hi guys,

I'm the developper behind LinuxLive USB Creator and I'm trying to find a way to make Kali live USB with persistence in a file.

I tried a few boot options such as persistence-path,persistence-storage but none worked so far.

Can you help me ?

ariel
2014-02-11, 05:25
I'm using BIOS Phoenix.

linux.bin not found

same i encountered, how we can fied this admin

Snake
2014-02-11, 06:45
Hello, i'm tying to install Kali on a usb key but i'm not able to.

I downloaded the iso (i tried 32 and 64...), i tried many tools : unetboot, win32 disk manager, linux live USB creator universal linux boot... But everytime when i tried to boot on the key, it's not working, the boot is not detected, i tried the key on 3 computers and it's the same.

This is how i do :
- i format the key using SD formatter
- i run a boot creator program ( unetboot, Linux live USB creator...) then i follow the process, i add the iso file then start... I wait until the program says it's done.
- Retart the computer change the boot priority to usb.

But it does'nt start, the key is not detected as bootable...

What's wrong ? Can you help ?

Bushido91
2014-02-11, 15:18
This my first time using this forum and I may have posted in the incorrect place with my first post! I have created a usb boot drive with Kali 32 and booted to a win7 machine. I get Invalid or corrupt kernel image' when I choose the any of the live versions. I have searched for solutions and followed some suggestions but it still does it! Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks

stormsight
2014-02-28, 16:52
after numerous attemps i finally managed to put a working image on my usb, i had to use win32 disk imager, why do i have to use windows to install a linux distro?!
anyway:
dd if=kali.iso of=/dev/sdb bs=512k failed
unetbootin failed
other programs failed

Eunix
2014-02-28, 19:36
I successfully used Win32 Disk Manager (see thread (https://forums.kali.org/showthread.php?20529-Win32-Disk-Imager-Successful-Install-(Windows-XP-Box-Kali-LiveUSB-32-bit)))

-e

nocturnalfreq
2014-03-02, 03:36
Im having problems with acer aspire v5-122p-0408

ive made a bootable usb
set bios to boot it. and it skips right over to my hard drive on boot
the drive looks correct when i open the files open in ubuntu
i wrote the amd 64 iso version to a brand new 8 gig usb drive from terminal.

can anyone help out?

phlampe
2014-03-05, 17:08
Hello All !

I just installed Kali Linux on a bran new USB 3.0 stick, and it works really well. It runs very quickly from the stick, so nice that I almost don't see the difference from running from a hard-drive (I not doing anything very I/O intensive though). That new USB 3.0 pen-drive has 150 Mb/s read speed, and 70 Mb/s write speed (according to the maker) and I think that's what really makes a difference.

Btw, I created the Live USB directly from Mac OS by following the instructions here : How to create a bootable USB stick on OS X (http://www.ubuntu.com/download/desktop/create-a-usb-stick-on-mac-osx). The main difference with the steps on the Kali Live USB install (http://docs.kali.org/installation/kali-linux-live-usb-install) page resides in converting the .iso file to a .img file before copying it with dd on the stick.

Anyway, it's working now with a persistence partition that I would like to mount automatically each time I boot on the key instead of adding the "persistence" string at the end of the boot command.

Where can I change that boot line ? I tried finding a grub.cfg or menu.lst file on the key, no success, and I'm not super familiar with the boot sequence on such a Linux system.

Thanks for any help,
Paul-Henri

Katalio
2014-03-13, 05:40
Hello everyone!

I got Kali Linux iso to mount, can boot from external no problem

Once it lods it asks for a user/pass. Everywhere I have read states that user/pass is root/toor, if not that then it's "what you set it to when you installed." Well seeing as how root/toor tried every which way doesn't work and there was no actual install process as I'm booting live, what do I do?? I'm more than a little frustrated :(

s4dn3s
2014-03-15, 03:12
thank you

phlampe
2014-03-19, 17:08
Once it lods it asks for a user/pass. Everywhere I have read states that user/pass is root/toor, if not that then it's "what you set it to when you installed." Well seeing as how root/toor tried every which way doesn't work and there was no actual install process as I'm booting live, what do I do?? I'm more than a little frustrated :(

Did you check you keyboard layout ? If you're using a non US keyboard, it might be that some of the letters end-up different from what you're typing.

Hope this helps,
Paul-Henri

mastrock
2014-04-10, 14:25
i have a problem booting from usb

i've downloaded amd64 kali linux and used the provided ls-creator then tried to boot ...after choosing usb key from boot menu instead it boots from the hdd (starting windows )
then i put default boot from usb tried again but nothing changed ( my current windows is a 64 bit and have a good rig ...an msi mobo z87...f that matter ) ....but then i took that usb stick and pluged it to another desktop (running 32 bit windows 7) and boot from usb WORKS smoothly so obviously the prob is in my computer but i dont know what the **** it is
i used my computer (64 bit) to download and create the usb
any help???ideas??

USBhub
2014-04-20, 21:15
i am having a problem with live booting on the USB, when i installed it it said the usb can be corupt. It boots up and go to the screen, but when i try the live boot. it always fails :( heres a picture of when i go in live
http://i.gyazo.com/0fb729e348be9ef0d165de4b32a967e7.png

simo8989
2014-05-04, 16:39
I followed the procedure for creating a live USB using Ubuntu, I've created my USB by typing: dd if=\home\simone\scaricati\kali-linux\kalilinux.iso of=\dev\sdb1
The process finish, and return's me ok.. But when I restart my PC and I boot from USB, I obtain the following error: error loading operating system

staticn0de
2014-05-07, 20:06
I followed the procedure for creating a live USB using Ubuntu, I've created my USB by typing: dd if=\home\simone\scaricati\kali-linux\kalilinux.iso of=\dev\sdb1
The process finish, and return's me ok.. But when I restart my PC and I boot from USB, I obtain the following error: error loading operating system

Hi there, you need to dd the iso to the drive, not the partition.

Straight from the Kali guide:

dd if=kali.iso of=/dev/sdb bs=512k

staticn0de
2014-05-07, 20:08
i have a problem booting from usb

i've downloaded amd64 kali linux and used the provided ls-creator then tried to boot ...after choosing usb key from boot menu instead it boots from the hdd (starting windows )
then i put default boot from usb tried again but nothing changed ( my current windows is a 64 bit and have a good rig ...an msi mobo z87...f that matter ) ....but then i took that usb stick and pluged it to another desktop (running 32 bit windows 7) and boot from usb WORKS smoothly so obviously the prob is in my computer but i dont know what the **** it is
i used my computer (64 bit) to download and create the usb
any help???ideas??

Are you EFI booting?

simo8989
2014-05-08, 12:13
Thank you for the reply :) sorry but Im new to the linux world, and i can't understand what do you mean by saying "you need to dd the iso to the drive" because my kali iso is inside the path i've specified after if (if=\home\simone\scaricati\kali-linux\kalilinux.iso) do i need to mount the iso file? thank you in advance

mudiarta
2014-05-09, 07:32
how to fix wierless not detect in kali linux,

staticn0de
2014-05-09, 13:40
No, you don't need to mount it.

Your command before was:
dd if=\home\simone\scaricati\kali-linux\kalilinux.iso of=\dev\sdb1

Notice the 1 after sdb. This is telling dd to put the contents of kalilinux.iso on the first partition of sdb1.

You need dd to place it on the drive, not the partition.

dd if=\home\simone\scaricati\kali-linux\kalilinux.iso of=\dev\sdb bs=512k

Make sure that sdb is your Usb drive before you start or you could wipe something unexpected.

Edit: make sure you run the command as root

kamachi
2014-05-25, 04:05
Hi i got problems with booting Kali, hope someone would help.
I booted up Kali in VMware Workstation and installed to a usbstick from there using the installer. It went well.
I rebooted the computer and booted from the usbstick and get some kind of error and the systemboot is postponed.

Got a picture here: http://postimg.org/image/jo2wedcx7/

I had no trouble doing this with BackTrack, tried it just before i installed Kali on it. I'm using a Kingston DataTraveler G2 16GB.

glitch_head
2014-05-28, 16:18
hey i used www.pendrivelinux.com to install kali linux onto my usb yet u cant manage to set up the Kali Live Encrypted USB Persistence. is it possible to set it up wile using www.pendrivelinux.com?

Subscriber
2014-06-02, 09:07
I have "Kingston 32Gb 3.0" is it good for persistence installation?

Second question is that i am new to Linux is there any step-by-step
tutorial for "Kali usb persistence Installation"?

eddiiee
2014-06-04, 10:16
Hi i got problems with booting Kali, hope someone would help.
I booted up Kali in VMware Workstation and installed to a usbstick from there using the installer. It went well.
I rebooted the computer and booted from the usbstick and get some kind of error and the systemboot is postponed.

Got a picture here: http://postimg.org/image/jo2wedcx7/
I had no trouble doing this with BackTrack, tried it just before i installed Kali on it. I'm using a Kingston DataTraveler G2 16GB.

Hey, I got almost the same problem. I installed Kali Live with use of the "dd" command in terminal on a usb.
When I try to boot from the usb I get a black screen and then ~6 rows of text shows.

"numbers..." [sdc] no caching mode found
"numbers..." [sdc] assuming driver cache: writh through

after that it resumes to boot ubuntu.
My usb stick has two partions, one on sdc and the second (this is the 3,95 Gb part where I installed Kali Live) is sdc1.
Do you think this has something to do with it? and how could I solve this?

thankful for answears :)

meanit
2014-06-06, 16:48
I have an Windows 8 PC with an msi motherboard. i used the 64bit amd kali version and mounted it on my usb stick with the universial usb installer (http://www.pendrivelinux.com/universal-usb-installer-easy-as-1-2-3/)

when i boot from the usb stick i am able to enter the kali linux menu where i press the live amd64bit mask. (but there is no difference when i press somethin else) then the distribution starts with the text floating over the screen and after that the screen becomes dark and stays like this. i waited 10 minutes but nothin changes, so for me it is not possible to start the distribution.

anybody offers help for this issue?

victim
2014-06-09, 18:13
Does anyone know how to boot live USB Kali on a Samsung Chromebook?

Jaapyse
2014-06-16, 10:56
I have created the bootable USB. When I plug it into my PC and select top boot from it, it just doesn't do a thing. It opens a black screen with a blinking _ , goes down one line and keeps blinking the _. That is all it does. Is there any fix to this, or can I at least know why this happens?

Jake
2014-06-25, 04:31
I have and issue with adding the persistence partition to my USB 32 GB. I installed Kali on a USB, and I can boot just fine, but when I try to run gparted, I get: invalid argument during seek for read on /dev/sda, and gparted exits after few more messages.
If I run gparted /dev/sdc, gparted runs, and I can see the USB, but there is no unallocated space shown. Part at the beginning is yellow, and the rest is white, clearly empty, but it is not separated, so I can't use the empty space. I have searched online, and it appears that I need to unmount a partition and try to remount it somehow, but I don't know how.
I have been a Windows user my whole life and just recently started working with Linux, so I am kind of lost. Any help is appreciated, especially if I can understand what is going on. I just installed Kali 1.0.7 x64 today on a USB and I am booting it on my laptop.
Thank you.

Achap1989
2014-06-26, 09:06
every time I go to boot from the kali live usb it simply says error booting from kali/x20Live

Please tell me someone knows what is going on

KingVM
2014-06-26, 20:34
How would you proceed if you'd want to remove KALI from the live USB in which it was installed?

Arvandor
2014-06-27, 21:16
Ok, so I have a live USB Kali drive that I've mostly just used to install Kali onto other machines. Today I decided to try and make it persistent and play around with that, and the setup works, and persistence seems to work, but it is AGONIZINGLY slow. I don't know if it's the PNY32gig I'm using, or some trick of persistence, or something weird that happened during the install processes, but it took an inordinately long time to reach the desktop on boot, iceweasel wouldn't even really open, and it's currently crawling through an apt-get update && apt-get upgrade at the speed of snail.

I'm kind of hoping that it's just the write nature of persistence, and that once I get things set up and boot it Live it'll run at a decent clip, but if it doesn't, should I maybe look at a different kind of USB for my Live boot, or just scrap the whole idea and stick with a dual boot laptop?

qqopw
2014-07-04, 13:12
Hi,i'm new to Kali Linux, I prepare to install Kali using grub in my USB device (There are already CDLinux and Puppy in the device, so I don't want to erase my device.) I don't know how to write in menu.lst, can anyone please help me ?

kosikin
2014-07-07, 18:14
Universal USB Installer is working too ;)

Mayank_07
2014-07-18, 08:05
Hey everyone
I've been struggling to install Kali Linux on my pc since the past few days.
Brief description of my laptop if that matters - Windows 8.1, 64-bit architecture. I've kept a separate partition for Kali Linux with allotted space of 22 GB.
I've followed all the steps showed in Kali Linux Live USB Install (http://docs.kali.org/installation/kali-linux-live-usb-install). I've turned off secure boot and I'm not doing UEFI booting. I've set my USB on high priority in boot options. But still when I restart my laptop I'm unable to boot my USB. It just normally starts windows without showing me Kali Linux boot screen. I don't think that I am missing any said guidelines and instructions.
Can anyone help me with above said problem?

radiofreq
2014-08-01, 07:40
I have created the bootable USB. When I plug it into my PC and select top boot from it, it just doesn't do a thing. It opens a black screen with a blinking _ , goes down one line and keeps blinking the _. That is all it does. Is there any fix to this, or can I at least know why this happens?

I'm stuck here too, tried Install, Graphical Install, LIVE USB and failsafe. None give me another response than the blinking _. Add to that, I get "fail beeps" when booting Kali Linux up from USB. When I use the arrow keys in the menus and hit the last line, it BEEPS loud. When it boots into this menu it beeps loud. When I've made a choice (i.e USB LIVE) it beeps.

I have disabled secure boot, added support for legacy devices, removed the win 8 profile and disabled fast boot.

The fact is that it seems to boot up, at least the menu boots up. From there it's dead. Any ideas?

I've tried Universal USB Installer, Rufus 1.4.9 and Win32 Disk Imager (although that didn't even work on Win 8.1).

Jaapyse, mind telling me a bit more about your hardware?

Morce13
2014-08-01, 13:59

HI. Have you been able to solve this problem? No matter what i do I get the black screen with the blinking "-"
I did the nomodeset, Nvidia.nomodeset=0,... It always does the same thing, black screen blinking -
The .Iso is correct because the sha1sum is the same as the download page.

zuppo88
2014-08-03, 22:20
HI. Have you been able to solve this problem? No matter what i do I get the black screen with the blinking "-"
I did the nomodeset, Nvidia.nomodeset=0,... It always does the same thing, black screen blinking -
The .Iso is correct because the sha1sum is the same as the download page.

I have the exact problem. I have tried changing the vga resolution, noveau/nvidia modesets, disabling kms, nothing works. I am quite a beginner so I might be missing something but this is quite frustrating as I haven't experienced this issue with other linux distributions. I hope someone can give us a solution

TimeVIrus
2014-08-09, 18:01
I've read about installing Kali to a USB with persistence. It uses an example with 5gb persistence. My question is; If I use a 32GB USB drive can I use the entire USB for a persistent install? That is after the install and the image uses X amount of the USB, can the remaining space of the 32GB be used for persistence? I hope this is clear enough. A round about way of asking, in effect, can I use my USB drive as if it is a HDD and add programs and whatever else to it and have it remember all changes across the whole sdb? I have tried a couple ways of installing to use my USB external HDD and they have failed. Even tried a VBox VM inside a Win 7 host and so far on each attempt have failed.

Thanks in advance for any tips.

TV.

Aditya
2014-08-20, 13:52
Hey everyone
I've been struggling to install Kali Linux on my pc since the past few days.
Brief description of my laptop if that matters - Windows 8.1, 64-bit architecture. I've kept a separate partition for Kali Linux with allotted space of 22 GB.
I've followed all the steps showed in Kali Linux Live USB Install (http://docs.kali.org/installation/kali-linux-live-usb-install). I've turned off secure boot and I'm not doing UEFI booting. I've set my USB on high priority in boot options. But still when I restart my laptop I'm unable to boot my USB. It just normally starts windows without showing me Kali Linux boot screen. I don't think that I am missing any said guidelines and instructions.
Can anyone help me with above said problem?

+1. I am having the same problem. I have tried multiple tools to burn ISO to USB and all of them prompt a successful installation. However when I boot into BIOS, the USB (in which Kali Linux 1.0.8) is installed does not show up.
Any Help Appreciated !!!

sashakt
2014-08-20, 15:04
I downloaded kali-linux-1.0.8-amd64 and i want to install kali on uefi boot using usb
I tried using win32 disk imager but when i boot from usb computer start booting again and again and does not proceed

DACrane
2014-08-20, 19:15
OK, I don't know if I got a bad install ISO or what, but here's what I'm experiencing. I have the i386 .iso on an 8-GB flash drive. It runs OK in live on both my dual-core x64 processor and on my Celeron 2GHz single core. I want to install it to the Celeron (Acer Aspire). However:

1) Trying to install from live Kali desktop: it finds a kernel mismatch between the live kernel (686) and the installer kernel (486).\
2) Trying to install from the singular 'install' option on the boot menu: First, it says there's an error reading from the CD-Rom. If I try to bypass that, it refuses to log on to the internet, even though it identifies it fine and I'm using the right passkey. If I tell it to do a non-network install, it gets about halfway through and goes back to saying the CD-ROM is corrupt or unreadable.

now this is the third flash drive I've tried this on, with a fresh download each time; hashes checked out OK each time, too.

I even got desperate and tried to do a custom build for a 486 version on Lubuntu, but that was a nightmare of conflicting repositories, etc.

So is there some problem with the current i386 .iso file? Or is it some kind of architectual mismatch?

I also tried using the mini .iso, but it suffered from the unable to log on to network function. If it's reading networks, and has the right ssid and passkey, why won't it log on?

So any help is appreciated.

BTW - took me six tries to get past the anti-spam to register here. The first four times, it gave me a green checkmark but still wouldn't let me through.

dArkc0de
2014-08-24, 11:58
I'm having similar problems. I've downloaded the new Kali 1.0.8 i386 and created a live boot usb. But when I try to live boot with the usb I get only a black screen with blinking cursor. I have Kali 1.0.5 on another usb and it is working fine. But I'm having problem with the new version. I'm using windows 8.1 with uefi enabled (secure boot off). How to fix this problem with the new version?

snabelkonrad
2014-09-01, 22:40
Hello, i just installed Kali linux 1.0.9 to a flashdrive. The flashdrive works fine with kali linux! But when i take the usb stick away and try to restart my computer it just says "Welcome to GRUB!"

Error: no such device: ******* and a lot of letter and numbers
Entering rescue mode ...
grub rescue

I am unable to get into windows which was is my normal operation system....
I tried to insert the USB, and when i booted via that one i was able to choose windows.... What is the problem that makes me unable to get direct into windows 7?
Please help :-)

jameshayek
2014-09-02, 04:11
I am using an Asus G75VW Gaming Laptop running Windows 8.1

I have tried creating a bootable USB using the approach in this tutorial (http://docs.kali.org/installation/kali-linux-live-usb-install).

After restarting I selected the USB stick as my boot option. I was greeted by a red screen which said "Invalid signature detected. Check secure boot policy in setup."

I changed the options in BIOS (or UEFI, whichever it is) to disable fast boot as well as secure boot. I then saved and exited.

I held down the esc key to choose my boot option as usual. The prompt asked me to choose my boot device. I chose the USB stick. I was then prompted with the same message. I chose the USB stick once again.

My computer then booted straight into Windows as if I told it to. Not sure what is wrong here. Any suggestions?

staticn0de
2014-09-02, 07:55
I am using an Asus G75VW Gaming Laptop running Windows 8.1

I have tried creating a bootable USB using the approach in this tutorial (http://docs.kali.org/installation/kali-linux-live-usb-install).

After restarting I selected the USB stick as my boot option. I was greeted by a red screen which said "Invalid signature detected. Check secure boot policy in setup."

I changed the options in BIOS (or UEFI, whichever it is) to disable fast boot as well as secure boot. I then saved and exited.

I held down the esc key to choose my boot option as usual. The prompt asked me to choose my boot device. I chose the USB stick. I was then prompted with the same message. I chose the USB stick once again.

My computer then booted straight into Windows as if I told it to. Not sure what is wrong here. Any suggestions?

Silly question, but did you commit the changes when you disabled secure boot?

If you made the usb with dd, try the win32 program. It would not boot EFI for me after I made mine with dd but could use the win disk imager.

Check the SHA1SUM of the iso you made and make sure it is what is expected.

soluck9x
2014-09-02, 14:59
I downloaded kali-linux-1.0.8-amd64 and i want to install kali on uefi boot using usb
I tried using win32 disk imager but when i boot from usb computer start booting again and again and does not proceed

If you just copy the .iso file to FAT32 or NTFS formatted USB drive, you will NOT be able to boot from it. So in short: You do not need to chose any file system, nor format your drive the way you are doing it. Before you start the drive can be any filesystem (NTFS or FAT32).
More information on how to properly prepare Kali Live USB:
http://docs.kali.org/installation/kali-linux-live-usb-install

mgso4
2014-09-26, 19:33
Info:

There seems to be an error in the script/description for creating USB persistence, found at http://docs.kali.org/installation/kali-linux-live-usb-persistence

The "size" variable doesn't describe the size of the persistence partition but the end of the new partition.

So if one want to use the remainder of the USB stick for persistence "size" roughly needs to be the size of the used USB stick.

darthnbs
2014-10-08, 03:54
Easiest way to do it is indeed Win32 Disk Imager to image Kali to a usb disk. Use new Kali Linux Live USB to boot system launch gparted to create a new partition (use all unallocated space) with ext4 as file system with label persistence then use the following commands.

mkdir /mnt/usb
mount /dev/sdc2 /mnt/usb
echo “/ union” >> /mnt/usb/persistence.conf
umount /mnt/usb

Substitute /dev/sdc2 with the correct drive location of your usb. Most of the time its sdb3 but you still need to verify this though through gparted or dmesg.

killboy
2014-10-09, 04:24
Info:

There seems to be an error in the script/description for creating USB persistence, found at http://docs.kali.org/installation/kali-linux-live-usb-persistence

The "size" variable doesn't describe the size of the persistence partition but the end of the new partition.

So if one want to use the remainder of the USB stick for persistence "size" roughly needs to be the size of the used USB stick.

Just found the same issue, here's some adjusted instructions:

iso_file=<path_to_iso>
persist_size_mb=5000
read iso_size_mb _ < <(du -bcm $iso_file |tail -1); echo $iso_size_mb
parted /dev/sdb mkpart primary $iso_size_mb $(echo $(( $iso_size_mb + $persist_size_mb )))
mkfs.ext3 -L persistence /dev/sdb3
mkdir -p /mnt/my_usb
mount /dev/sdb3 /mnt/my_usb
echo "/ union" > /mnt/my_usb/persistence.conf
umount /dev/sdb3

Ro0oTs
2014-10-14, 09:53
it's doesn't work .. my brother i tried ..before few minutes.

jefti
2014-10-17, 07:12
Hi guys. I've searched all over the web for a solution for my problem but no luck yet. Heres the thing. I tried to liverun Kali from a USB drive. Somewhere in the installation something went wrong, either I did something wrong or the installation crashed. I cant recall anymore. I reset the pc and after that the error missing OS kept coming back. Ive tried resetting the BIOS. Ive tried system recovery, which gives the same error. Ive tried booting from my win7 install disc (pirate, fking preinstalled win8 made me do it), but this says that the disc is not compatible. So now im doubting if its maybe 32 bit instead of 64. Downloaded 32 bit iso, doesnt even boot to setup. Again missing OS. Downloaded 32 and 64 bit setup, no os. Live cd kali: no os. Usb boot, no os. The only option i seem to have is that cd which says not compatible, so i cant repair but only wipe clean and fresh install. This, i rather wont do for the loss of files. Also tried different settings in BIOS (lagacy and uefi). Any other options to pervent full wipe? Your input in greatly appreciated. Btw im running on a sony vaio.

Jayden_Blade
2014-10-19, 23:24
I am trying to install Kali on a Dell Inspiron Mini. My problem is every time I try to boot it up via Live USB there is no operating system or it is corrupt. I used Win32 Disk Imager as the instructions state. Win32 Disk Imager corrupted one of my thumb drives, so I have not tried it again. I used UNetbootin to make my 2nd Live USB. I get an error stating Invalid or corrupt kernel image, after UNetbootin loads. Any ideas?

Fixed it!

vick
2014-10-24, 13:30
Throwing my hat in here as another noob encountering install problems. I can run Kali fine in Virtualbox, but can't seem to get it to boot from USB. Don't pass go- no Live persistence, etc.... and I've been running into the same problems over and over, which so far the main issue seems to be that the hardware I'm trying to install on is EFI-based Macbooks (3 of them, older but 64-bit: 2 plain white MBs and one MB Pro). I have scoured the Mac install threads here, looking on Ubuntu, Debian and other Linux webpages for other ways to create bootable USBs or dual boots.

One of the problems was that the Macbooks firmware was too ancient (running 10.6.8) but I got around this by upgrading the two older ones to 10.7.5, and now they are running Ubuntu just fine (have the old OSX HDs cloned in case I need to go back for something). At this stage the alternative boot recognized the USB and started to boot from it, but now the recurring error is no graphics found- resorting to blind mode (sorry no screenshot available, but will write it down next time). Kind of an important hurdle, to be able to see what options you are installing. Its a big improvement that the system is finding the linux kernel, but making it work is the next step.

I want to wipe out my OSX install with a clean Kali install, but right now, I can't even get the Live USB to work. Should I try to do this from Ubuntu, or put OSX back on and keep look for new ways to get around EFI, worrying that one small grub config change will mess everything up? I'm not throwing in the towel yet, but I have been working on this one for almost a month now.

oldjunky
2014-11-03, 10:10
i have a Z400 Dual Xeon W3505 Workstation ive been attempting to put kali linux on. i get GUI selection to work but thats about it. if i select ANY selection, cursor blink top right for infinite amount of time (went to sleep, still there). this happens on both x86, and AMD64. but im glad i came here, i ahve been using rufus and LiLi to make my usb iso installs. so hopefully Win32 Disk Imager will work. if anyoen else has quick insight or tid bits feel free to share!

jeronimo
2014-11-12, 01:14
cuando le doy en instalar me aparece una pantalla negra y no sale de hay que puedo hacer

ferfeit
2014-11-24, 17:20
Hey im install kali live usb update some program and download some file. when restart the system all of them will be remove. Can i save file and my works ? is is possible ?

bhanukhapra
2014-12-07, 19:23
i am trying to install kali on my macbookpro 8.1 through usb as my superdrive is broken, i tried many usb and usb iso tools but in refind when i select to boot from the usb it shows no bootable drive found but on startup if i press option key and boot to the efi mode it says no suitabe video mode found booting in blind mode and it goes to the kali startup screen and if i select other username:root pass:toor it says authentication failure.

zniki.ru
2014-12-12, 16:57
I'm using Win 7 x64 and can't use Kali Linux Live USB Install (http://docs.kali.org/installation/kali-linux-live-usb-install) tutorial because Win32 Disk Imager doesn't work.
But with Universal USB Installer (http://www.pendrivelinux.com/universal-usb-installer-easy-as-1-2-3/) everything works great, so maybe it's time to update article?

phortyeight1746
2014-12-26, 18:22
I'm using Win 7 x64 and can't use Kali Linux Live USB Install (http://docs.kali.org/installation/kali-linux-live-usb-install) tutorial because Win32 Disk Imager doesn't work.
But with Universal USB Installer (http://www.pendrivelinux.com/universal-usb-installer-easy-as-1-2-3/) everything works great, so maybe it's time to update article?

I agree Universal USB Insaller worked perfect fo windows... Does a Kail Team member own Win32 Disk Imager? If not, i dont see why you guys dont remove it from the article. Ive been at it since Chriistmas eve trying to beat that black screen with a blinking cursor issue on a dual boot with Windows 8.1 .
(Added Keywords hoping to help people who ewere in my situation.

Happy Holidays guys

Brian1991
2015-01-03, 18:33
I need some help installing kali using the dd command, I only have machines running linux so I can't create a the bootable usb on windows,
so far i tried

dd if = /home/myusername/Desktop/kali.iso of = /dev/sdb bs = 512k,

command above is not working since that's not the path of my usb drive, I need help finding the path. I tried using dmesg | grep -i usb but i get too many stuff and I don't seeem to find the path of the usb,
please help thanks.

kalirookie1
2015-01-04, 12:36
I'm planning to install kali on an external drive wich has 2 partitions. The first one is all my important data. The second partition i created is a 30GB FAT partition.
diskutil list prompts the following:

/dev/disk2
#: TYPE NAME SIZE IDENTIFIER
0: GUID_partition_scheme *500GB disk2
1: EFI EFI 209MB disk2s1
2: Apple_HFS myDisk 464GB disk2s2
3: Microsoft Basic Data KALI 35GB disk2s3

Can I use the IDENTIFIER with the dd command ? I tried the IDENTIFIER with the diskutil unmountdisk but it unmounted both partitions( myDisk,KALI).

help :(

kalirookie1
2015-01-04, 12:38
try the "diskutil list" command. It wil prompt all the disks mounted. Your usb should be something like /dev/disk2 or 3 or whatever.

mcfate
2015-01-05, 02:43
Hi, Brian --

The best way to identify the path for the USB drive you want to target is to perform the command

fdisk -l

without the USB drive inserted, and then again with it inserted. You'll see which device is now there and wasn't previously. Note that this command shows you the path to the partitions, which look like "/dev/sda1", "/dev/sdb2", or (on my Kali system) "/dev/mmcblk0p1" and "/dev/mmcblk0p2".

The device path, which is what you want here, is the part that all the partitions have in common: "/dev/sdb" in the first case and "/dev/mmcblk0" in the second. So when I flash a USB drive on my Kali system, the command is something like

dd if=/path/to/my/Kali.iso of=/dev/mmcblk0 bs=512k

kalirookie1
2015-01-05, 14:05
I exactly followed the official guide, created usb, installed refind, refind detects usb however when i press enter in refind i get black screen with the text, : no bootable device -- insert boot device press any key... help

professorcnile
2015-01-31, 22:47
Hey guys,

I'm new to the forums and I am trying to get the Kali Linux Live to USB setup. I have followed the directions and downloaded the 64bit ISO and verified the sha1 hash. All looks good. I used Win32 Disk Imager to create an image on a USB stick. I booted from the stick and went with Graphical Install but I get the "Error Reading Release File" and unable to mount CD-ROM.

I tried Universal-USB-Installer and UNetbootin, all of which result in the same error.

Anyway to resolve this issue?

Thanks.

Sweeper
2015-02-01, 10:53
Sadly this version of Kali Linux seems to be pretty broken.

What I have tried so far is to write it to a 16Gb memory stick from an Arch Linux installation using dd, dcfldd (Forensic accurate version of dd)
These attempts all had the same outcome, the computer stopped at boot with a blinking cursor after selecting boot from USB (HP EliteBook 8540p)

Taking it into Windows, the first attempt at writing it from Win32USB, same result as I achieved in Linux with dd, stuck at blinking cursor.
However, if we change up and use "Universal USB installer" version 1.5.9.4, the ISO will boot, but it will never start X server and as such you are left at the command line.
From there I tried reviving it, but no dice as I have no idea how it is meant to be set up.

Trying the latest Universal USB Installer, everything goes to pot, and it halts the system during the loading of the Linux kernel, claiming the XZ compression is corrupt.

This leads me to believe something is seriously wrong with this release of Kali Linux.

inbo
2015-02-12, 16:21
Why should one follow the procedure for "USB persistence" rather than install Kali to USB as if it is a hard drive? Is it not better to treat it as a HD so that the persistence container doesn't keep growing forever?

toast_ghost
2015-02-15, 00:28
ITT, lots of questions, very few answers. What gives?

For what it's worth, I am trying to dual boot on osx. I've got rEFInd installed fine, and am trying to boot from USB. I've tried unetbootin, win32, and straight through terminal to create the live disk, but I always get the black screen after choosing kali in boot manager: "no boot disk detected"

Sshankar7
2015-02-15, 14:10
Agree with Sweeper!
Using UUI 1.5.9.8 with Kali 1.0.9a had worked well in UEFI mode, dual booting with windows. But the latest release seems to be broken or the EFI boot files are not working as desired. Tried Win32USB, UUI 1.5.9.4, UUI 1.5.9.9, unetbootin, and even dd command to make a bootable USB. But it doesn't boot up in UEFI mode and stuck at a blank screen. And when the same usb is used in Legacy mode, the USB boots up with the kali boot menu..

One thing to note here, I tried the same procedure with Vmware workstation 11. Setup a normal partition for kali linux without the kali iso and enabled UFI boot from the menu. Then tried to install it from the same bootable pendrive. And yes, it worked absolutely fine! ..

Can someone please identify what's wrong with original laptop's boot setting with secure mode disabled.

Disneytown
2015-02-17, 18:03
I'm running via DVD. I now want to make a USB Kali. I have data running from reaver-wifite. Is it possible to backup the saved data. Then put it back when I USB boot? Or must I start from scratch. Where is this data stored when running off a DVD. Thank you. Maxi

almulopez
2015-02-24, 19:55
thank you very much!!

carlito08
2015-02-27, 17:49
Hi, I'm new, I just created a USB key Kali Linux with persistence. My problem is that the systems settings are not saved (display language) but others are saved, such as wifi settings. Does anyone know how to do?

Thanks.

begginer
2015-03-18, 02:49
I am completely new to this so please be patient with me. And feel free to tell me what i am doing wrong

I torrented the Kali Linux 64 bit. and unzipped it to my computer (windows 7 64bit). I then used win32 disk imager to write it on my 15gb usb. Here is where my questions begin.
1. what is the name of the file I am suppose to put onto the usb only efi and initrd show up when i try to use win32
2. I have tried using both of them but when i restarted my computer it would say operating system not found.

If you can help me that would be wonderful

franzi
2015-03-18, 19:53
i Have a problem with changing the language of kali i can save every setting on the usb but if i change the language and reboot it it still is in english but i want it to be in german.
i hope you can help.

monakons
2015-03-30, 22:45
Hello,
I followed the instructions step by step and installed kali-linux 64bit in two usb sticks (4gb and 8gb). When i am trying to boot from the stick - setting the priority device to usb - nothing is happening it's just boot to windows 8.1 normally. When i go into the boot menu option and press the option to boot from usb it says "selected boot image did not authenticate". The other problem is that when i formatted my USB stick (8GB usb stick) is now 2.97Gb and the rest space is unallocated, but i cannot merge or partition it again. I do not care about the stick for the moment but i would like to reallocate the 8gb so i can use it to correctly install kali-linux live and boot from the stick.

What am i doing wrong? Is there an additional step that is not in the page? --> http://docs.kali.org/downloading/kali-linux-live-usb-install

xorslideshow
2015-04-07, 07:40
I'm getting this error when installing from USB

The 'grub-pc' package failed to install into /target/ .
Without the GRUB boot loader, the installed system will not boot.

How to resolve it? I tried the solution mentioned in the OP of this thread. https://forums.kali.org/showthread.php?20854-Fix-quot-grub-pc-failed-to-install-into-target-quot-Fix

xorslideshow
2015-04-07, 07:46
Hello,
I followed the instructions step by step and installed kali-linux 64bit in two usb sticks (4gb and 8gb). When i am trying to boot from the stick - setting the priority device to usb - nothing is happening it's just boot to windows 8.1 normally. When i go into the boot menu option and press the option to boot from usb it says "selected boot image did not authenticate". The other problem is that when i formatted my USB stick (8GB usb stick) is now 2.97Gb and the rest space is unallocated, but i cannot merge or partition it again. I do not care about the stick for the moment but i would like to reallocate the 8gb so i can use it to correctly install kali-linux live and boot from the stick.

What am i doing wrong? Is there an additional step that is not in the page? --> http://docs.kali.org/downloading/kali-linux-live-usb-install

You shouldn't have formatted it. You should try the solutions on this page: http://superuser.com/questions/382242/how-do-i-fix-my-usb-drive-to-get-its-original-8gb-size-back

Also use Win32 Disk Imager to create a live-usb on only one USB drive, the 8GB one.

Elie SAND
2015-04-14, 08:16
Impossible to login with root:toor ?

Am I crazy ? Start live USB fresh from ISO Kali 1.1.0, login as root, typing toor as passowrd et replay is "Login Incorrect"

We may help ?

musafirrlail
2015-05-04, 04:05
Thanks, Very helpfully ..

SultanAssi
2015-05-31, 15:41
installation stops when it reaches 9% while copying data to HD..
pleaes help!

mowe13
2015-06-01, 21:58
Hello, i'm tying to install Kali on a usb key but i'm not able to.

I downloaded the iso (i tried 32 and 64...), i tried many tools : unetboot, win32 disk manager, linux live USB creator universal linux boot... But everytime when i tried to boot on the key, it's not working, the boot is not detected, i tried the key on 3 computers and it's the same.

This is how i do :
- i format the key using SD formatter
- i run a boot creator program ( unetboot, Linux live USB creator...) then i follow the process, i add the iso file then start... I wait until the program says it's done.
- Retart the computer change the boot priority to usb.

But it does'nt start, the key is not detected as bootable...

What's wrong ? Can you help ?
T
Hi did you have any luck ?? I have the same thing .. just wont boot up . I get a single line of text _ but no boot !

Marlena13
2015-06-17, 14:30
for me all ok, thanks :)

kalinopae
2015-06-18, 12:28
I did try to install my non-PAE - Kali from USB but after the installation went OK, Grub or Lilli could not be installed (whyever).

If I try grub-install /dev/sda after chroot /mnt I get the error grub: command not found.

Meanwhlie I added Grub4Dos with a puppy-USB.iso but at booting without USB on sda1 I get the error:

[ 1.784307] --- end] kernel panic - not syncing: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on unknown-block(0,0) ]
[ 32.187475] random: nonblocking pool is initialized

As Grub can not be installed on nonPAE-Hardware even with non-PAE-Kali.iso (what is a bug).

What shall I do ? Please help !

dragonhunter4hack
2015-06-21, 20:03
the process for install kali is not so critical. it is very easy process and only needs proper guidence and some small time. a small mistake can harm your laptop. you can follow this post. post published in may 2015 so there are less chances of error and tested on windows platform. please go to http://moonkinghackersclub.blogspot.in/2015/06/how-to-install-kali-linux-on-virtual-box.html

ieee80211trouble
2015-06-30, 16:10
Recompiled kernel on live USB won't boot; trouble with GRUB ?

I am a newbie to Kali. I have a live install on a 16GB USB, kernel 3.18.0-kali3-686-pae, that I have been running on a Dell Inspiron for a few months. This always boots fine, although when I created it GRUB installed some code into the boot partition on the HDD. (Ideally I had wanted a stand alone live USB that started via the one-time boot menu and a standalone PC that booted directly to WinXP ).

I have now recompiled and installed a new kernel on the same USB stick following the instructions given at https://Informationtreasure.wordpress.com/2014/07/18/recompiling-the-kali-linux-kernel. The commands given there worked for me while those in the Kali docs did not. The new kernel is called 3.18.6.

When I try to boot to 3.18.6 I get the splash screen and then see

Decompressing Linux... Parsing ELF... No relocation needed... done.
Booting the kernel.
Loading, please wait...
Gave up waiting for root device. Common problems:
- Boot args (cat /proc/cmdline)
- check root delay= (did the system wait long enough?)
- check root= (did the system wait for the right device?)
- Missing modules (cat /proc/modules; ls /dev)
ALERT! /dev/sdb1 does not exist. Dropping to a shell!

and then it tells me some modprobe modules are missing:
i8042
atkbd
ehci-pci
ehci-orion
ehci-hcd
uhci-hcd
ohci-hcd
usbhid

And then I am dropped to BusyBox. I have sat at the (initramfs) prompt for minute and then typed "exit" but I do not escape from BusyBox, I just get more (initramfs) prompt, one after the other. I have done some googling around and tried the "all_generic_IDE" and "replace UUID with /dev/sdb1 etc" style fixes in grub.cfg but they did not solve my problem.

On the USB under /boot I can see two config files, two initrd.img files, two system.maps and two vmlinuz files with either 3.18.0 or 3.18.6 added to the name. There is one grub.cfg file under /boot/grub that contains the two scripts shown below. I have substituted /dev/sdb1 for the original UUIDs in the linux lines.

menuentry 'Kali GNU/Linux, with Linux 3.18.6' --class kali --class gnu-linux --class gnu --class os {
load_video
insmod gzio
insmod part_msdos
insmod ext2
set root='(hd0,msdos1)'
search --no-floppy --fs-uuid --set=root 9d56b544-4352-4342-bb7a-147b4cfe3c0f
echo 'Loading Linux 3.18.6 ...'
linux /boot/vmlinuz-3.18.6 root=/dev/sdb1 ro forcepae quiet
echo 'Loading initial ramdisk ...'
initrd /boot/initrd.img-3.18.6
}
menuentry 'Kali GNU/Linux, with Linux 3.18.0-kali3-686-pae' --class kali --class gnu-linux --class gnu --class os {
load_video
insmod gzio
insmod part_msdos
insmod ext2
set root='(hd0,msdos1)'
search --no-floppy --fs-uuid --set=root 9d56b544-4352-4342-bb7a-147b4cfe3c0f
echo 'Loading Linux 3.18.0-kali3-686-pae ...'
linux /boot/vmlinuz-3.18.0-kali3-686-pae root=/dev/sdb1 ro forcepae quiet
echo 'Loading initial ramdisk ...'
initrd /boot/initrd.img-3.18.0-kali3-686-pae
}

I have not reproduced above the two Kali recovery mode scripts, that appear identical to each other, or the WInXP script.

The 3.18.0 kernel was installed using GRUB while the instructions I followed for 3.18.6 used GRUB2. I can also see a Vmlinuz and a initrd.img file in the filesystem folder right at the bottom of the page in file manager. Oddly, I cannot find these two files in a terminal. Adding ABC to the end of their file names did not prevent 3.18.0 from booting.

Can anyone tell me what to do to make the 3.18.6 kernel boot ?

ieee80211trouble
2015-07-02, 16:51
Impossible to login with root:toor ?

Am I crazy ? Start live USB fresh from ISO Kali 1.1.0, login as root, typing toor as passowrd et replay is "Login Incorrect"

We may help ?

I had exactly the same problem. I built a live USB with kernel 3.18.0-kali3-686-pae. In the middle of this process I was asked to choose a 'username' (the default was 'kali') and provide a username password, and a second password to use with MySQL.

I could not log in with root:toor or username:username password. Eventually I found I could log in with root:username password. Not immediately obvious, but it worked.

stealthbyroot
2015-07-04, 11:07
Asus z97-pro(wifi ac) and M.2 SSD issue.
Did anybody manage to install Kali on M.2 SSD disk?
I am trying whole day and nothing. Only errors.....
ata1: hard resetting link
or
sata link down (sstatus ffffffff scontrol ffffffff)

I have feeling that Kali cant see my M.2 SSD hard disk!
Any advice.

Flacs
2015-07-21, 22:50
I have an issue with getting my laptop to boot from the live USB. I changed the order in the BIOS to boot from the drive and I get an error message about invalid signature and checking the boot security level. I disabled secure boot and still no joy. I'm using an ASUS X200M 64bit Intel. I want to install Kali as a dual boot and minimize windows 8 to as miniscule a presence on this device as possible. Thanks in advance for any help.

HorK
2015-08-03, 21:01
I created USB using a dd command, even tried a 'nomodeset' flag and also fail safe boot, but every time I end up with black screen, no cursor, no barely visible login screen, nothing just black screen. I have a Lenovo y560 ideapad laptop with radeon graphics. PS I am running ubuntu 14.04 just fine.

norlin
2015-08-13, 13:28
Wrote kali 2.0 amd64 iso into USB hard drive, tried to run it on MacBook Pro (Retina, 13-inch, Early 2015).
First try: just black screen, no cursor, nothing.
Second and next tries: small loader window in the screen corner, no keyboard/mouse support, nothing happens.

What I'm doing wrong? :)

Puma827
2015-08-13, 22:09
i've problem with installing kali 2.0 by usb flash i didn't have this problem with previous version
when i try to install it looks for cd in dvd-rom and says there is no cd
why can i install it from usb?

authlab
2015-08-14, 18:50
Okay, I have tried both the 64 and 32 bit versions on USB using both dd and Rufus and I STILL cannot get Kali to load at boot on either of my laptops. What's worse, Kali 1.0 isn't updating correctly and over half the packages I search for to upgrade it come up 404. I couldn't even get AirCrack to to install. I'm seriously considering setting things on fire right now.

authlab
2015-08-14, 18:52
I had this issue at first. I formatted the USB stick BEFORE doing the dd and that KIND of worked, but I'm still getting either "Error loading OS" or "Linux.bin is missing or corrupt"

darko
2015-08-16, 00:06
Thank you muts

Bigfabdaddy
2015-08-16, 01:24
I m new here and attempting to put kali 2.0 on a USB the UUI works fine and my bios sees the USB as bootable, my problem is nothing happens with the USB and the laptop reverts back to windows.

Bigfabdaddy
2015-08-16, 01:56
I don't have a linux system up and running and was hoping to give kali 2.0 a try. I had a ubuntu desktop for a while but am trying to make a bootable USB. Using both windisk32 and UUI the ISO writes to the USB just fine. The bios even sees the USB as bootable but when I put it in the first position there is a pause at boot up when the laptop tries to use the USB then it kicks back over to the HDD. Is there something I might be missing? I have downloaded Kali 2.0 3 times now straight from the website but still nothing works. I have even tried using different OS' when UUI asks me which one. Ubuntu runs fine from the drive but no matter how I set up the USB kali will not boot to the live version.

duxim
2015-08-16, 07:31
I don't have a linux system up and running and was hoping to give kali 2.0 a try. I had a ubuntu desktop for a while but am trying to make a bootable USB. Using both windisk32 and UUI the ISO writes to the USB just fine. The bios even sees the USB as bootable but when I put it in the first position there is a pause at boot up when the laptop tries to use the USB then it kicks back over to the HDD. Is there something I might be missing? I have downloaded Kali 2.0 3 times now straight from the website but still nothing works. I have even tried using different OS' when UUI asks me which one. Ubuntu runs fine from the drive but no matter how I set up the USB kali will not boot to the live version.
First read post here on forum. This problem is mention in
https://forums.kali.org/showthread.php?26455-Install-Kali-2-0-error
it is not possible to make working boot usb on Windows system with full version of Kali 2.0 and most common used tools for this. Only way for this is from Linux system and dd command.
http://docs.kali.org/downloading/kali-linux-live-usb-install
Second. Full versions of Kali 2.0 have a lot extra steps to install it correctly, and I suggest you to download and install Light version
of Kali 2.0 which you can update later to full version.

JeanK
2015-08-18, 13:17
Tryed to install with Win 32 Disk Imager. Iso not recognized.

Any solution possible?

Thanks.

JeanK

duxim
2015-08-19, 13:07
Tryed to install with Win 32 Disk Imager. Iso not recognized.

Any solution possible?

Thanks.

JeanK

First of all always verify SHA1Sum of downloaded iso image. Use torrent to download it. If it is ok then go to prepare usb.
With this Kali 2.0 you have only two possible working ways to create boot usb.
1.) with Win 32 Disk Imager from windows (read post https://forums.kali.org/showthread.php?26455-Install-Kali-2-0-error)
2.) on another Linux system with dd command

Watchdog
2015-08-24, 08:36
After booting from USB, I have Kali boot option, but when I enter option... CAPS LOCK is blinking and freeze like this... http://www.jpeg.cz/images/2015/08/24/JClAa.jpg

Justauser
2015-08-25, 03:59
Hey I'm trying to install on my t200 asus TabletPC. I got the USB boot fine I tested on my main PC and it works fine. I made sure it was 32bit but whenever i boot it up it seems to not work and send me back to bios almost instantly.

Any help would be appreciated!

Hyperion
2015-08-25, 08:12
Hello, i am not sure how to put this but i have downloaded the "x64" of the Version 2 of kali and trying to make a new USB install. However, when i try to put the USB into my laptop port and tell it to boot from the USB, it gives me this message:

Please remove all media

Or something similar to it. What am i doing wrong? Would really like to install the version 2 onto my laptop. Thanks! :)

brainiac3397
2015-08-25, 13:02
I'm planning on setting up Kali on a live USB however I have a question regarding the persistence partition. The documentation example uses an 8gb USB as an example. If I have a 16gb USB, and create a persistence partition, does unused memory have any impact or should I just go ahead and take up most of the remaining space("end=15gb")?

Also, do I need to reformat the USB drive from it's default FAT32 format?(there's no mention of formatting on the documentation but I'd like to check anyway)

FatzCT
2015-08-27, 16:05
So I've created a Kali Bootable USB drive using this guide

The iso I downloaded was kali-Linux-2.0-i386.iso.

Now I'm trying to add USB Persistence with LUKS encryption by following this guide

http://docs.kali.org/downloading/kali-linux-live-usb-persistence

When I try to create the partition in the empty space above the live partition using these commands (I'm substituting kali-Linux-2.0-i386.iso for kali-linux-1.0.8-amd64.iso)

end=7gb
read start _ < <(du -bcm kali-linux-1.0.8-amd64.iso | tail -1); echo $start
parted /dev/sdb mkpart primary $start $end

I get the following error

du: cannot access 'kali-Linux-2.0-i386.iso': No such file or directory.

Can anyone help out where I'm going wrong here.

Cheers

Fatz

hurrdurrrderp
2015-08-27, 21:07
How can i save system and wifi settings between sessions? I have Live USB Kali 2.0 with persistence, and files that i save are perfectly okay, but entering wifi password each time is pretty annoying. And I also want to add second keyboard layout (not english), but it won't be stored between sessions too.

dortega88
2015-08-29, 04:20
Hi new here needed some help on Live USB. Ive tried to create a live usb with several different programs: Rufus, Unetbootin, Win32 Imager, LiLi and Universal USB. Ive got it working in a vm but loses some fuctionality and wanted to see if my card can capture or if if I will have to buy an external wifi usb. Ive tried different versions of Kali including the mini and full. Im using Windows 10 and no matter what it will not boot, I have tried a couple different usb drives and did shift click on restart went to uefi boot to change bios settings and turned on legacy, turned off secure mode but it will still not let me boot from usb. Any ideas would be appreciated thanks.

Daniel Ortega

photor
2015-08-31, 20:11
How can i save system and wifi settings between sessions? I have Live USB Kali 2.0 with persistence, and files that i save are perfectly okay, but entering wifi password each time is pretty annoying. And I also want to add second keyboard layout (not english), but it won't be stored between sessions too.
I see the same problem: installed Kali 2.0 on USB-Stick and added LUKS-encrypted persistence partition. In the mean time I have updated the system with aptitude update/upgrade. I can create a file in HOME but this is not persistent.

I have mounted the luksOpen-ed persistence partition under Archlinux and I see updated packages (but I have not verified, if they are realy used).

What to do to store files persistent in the HOME and to create configs (e.g. locale and keymap)?

Ciao,

Photor

photor
2015-09-04, 12:00
Hello all,

I did the whole procedure again and tested all steps by hand cross checking everything using the booted Kali-system. Now I have crypto-persistence on the USB-stick.

I could not identify the error made before. Now it works and that counts.

Happy,

Photor

haider885
2015-09-11, 17:11
I tried installing Kali Linux in USB, when I boot from USB it shows some directories Only.

I follow this link http://docs.kali.org/downloading/kali-linux-live-usb-install
I Download "Kali Linux 64 bit" image from here https://www.kali.org/downloads/

I have HP 15 Notebook.
Processor: Intel Core i5-4210U
RAM: 12 GB

I have tried these software's to boot my USB

1. Win32DiskImager
2. Universal USB Installer
3. LinuxLive USB Creator
4. PowerISO
5. Rufus
6. UltraISO

SaSoRiVeNoM
2015-09-30, 13:50
so im trying to make a usb persistent. ive made 2 usbs with kali because you cant work on the partition you booted onto. so i have one to run kali live(A) and make partition changes to the other(B). when i boot off (A), the one i want to keep(B) seems to lose its whole file structure. instead of all the folders you get when you go to the '/' directory, it shows me the contents of whats normally in /lib/live/mnt/persistence/sdb1. this is immediately after boot on (A) and i insert (B). thats as far as i got because when i tried to follow the kali docs, minus the encryption part(i dont really need that), then umount and reboot to (B), im left with a black screen and a little blinking underscore. any ideas about that one guys?

loneboy
2015-10-01, 05:30
Hey,
I've tried install from Live USB pendrive, but after installing all the files, grub was failed to install..
What should I do ???

pufferaway
2015-10-02, 04:25
Try might try using boot-repair-disk (http://sourceforge.net/projects/boot-repair-cd/) to install grub. You can also run this from USB or CD. The instructions are on the "Home" tab of the webpage.

pufferaway
2015-10-02, 04:26
Hey,
I've tried install from Live USB pendrive, but after installing all the files, grub was failed to install..
What should I do ???

Try might try using boot-repair-disk (http://sourceforge.net/projects/boot-repair-cd/) to install grub. You can also run this from USB or CD. The instructions are on the "Home" tab of the webpage.

Mdub329
2015-10-03, 03:55
Hey Guys every time I try to boot from my USB I get a black screen for about 20 sec then windows boots. Any suggestions?

pnplants
2015-10-03, 19:34
I am currently running Windows 8.1. I was wondering if I should back up all my files before booting Kali Linux from a usb?

ChunniePark
2015-10-06, 15:16
i've got the same trouble, i can't install it from a USB. Please help me!!!!!! I really need it. Thanks alot

ChunniePark
2015-10-06, 15:19
I try to do it but it's seem to be impossible, please help me

GTOwraith
2015-10-07, 15:15
Hi guys.
I am running Windows 8 on a HP Pavilion and i have down loaded Kali to my flash drive but windows won't let me load it.
I have gone in to bios and disabled secure boot but it will not let me change the boot priority to my USB.
Also i get the a screen where i get this *.* looking thing that will not let me go any further.

Can anyone help me out? Thanks..

duxim
2015-10-07, 18:36
read this how to do it
https://askleo.com/how_do_i_boot_from_cddvdusb_in_windows_8/

Felscream
2015-10-11, 19:59
Good afternoon,

I have previously installed Kali in Oracle VM but I want it on my main desktop as a dual boot with Windows 7. I have downloaded the .iso several times from the site (both mirrored and torrent links) and the ISO seems to be ok...but I cant install. I run the software from the USB, it tells me to reboot, but when I go to install it it is looking for a CD and wont let me continue. How do I get around this error?

klajdi
2015-10-14, 12:19
After installin kali on usb and open it , after thet when i remove the usb and restart the pc , is everything in normaly there ? Nothing change ? Anything dangerous ?

GTA 3
2015-10-16, 11:31
Hey,
I installed Kali 2.0 on my USB-Stick. I can start Grup and pick the point start kali live.
So he starts to boot kali live, but after a few seconds he's stopping with a black screen and a short white line on the left side.
Can you help me? While Kali is booting, I noticed that he's going through a checklist. I saw a failed on the point: "failed to start open vulnerability assessment system scanner daemon".
Is that maybe the reason for the Interruption?

I tried the ISO in Oracle VM and it works. So the ISO is fine.
Also I installed Kali in many ways with win32diskimager , Universal-USB-Installer-1.9.6.1 and rufus on diffrent usb sticks.

My PC Specs:
Intel i7-5820K - 3,3 Ghz, AsRock Fatality X99 Killer,3.1, Crucial 16GB DDR4-RAM, GTX 980 Gaming 4G 4096MB GDDR5, Windows 10 Education

I tried everything.

Please please help me

SimonRenardson
2015-10-20, 11:22
Hello folks, I'm trying to install Kali 2.0 on my iMac. My problem is when I go to install Kali from the live USB, I cannot see the entire installer screen, the very bottom and right hand side of the installer window is off the screen. I see no way of resizing or moving the window and I do not want to continue the install unless I can see what I'm doing. Thanks for your help.

Towlieee
2015-10-20, 20:56
Hello folks, I'm trying to install Kali 2.0 on my iMac. My problem is when I go to install Kali from the live USB, I cannot see the entire installer screen, the very bottom and right hand side of the installer window is off the screen. I see no way of resizing or moving the window and I do not want to continue the install unless I can see what I'm doing. Thanks for your help.

It did the same thing on my windows based Lenovo notebook, instead of booting to live kali to install, use graphical installation and it will be centered

Quest
2015-10-21, 13:14
I seem to have better performance with KL2 on a formatted fat32/ext2 USB2 key than with ext4.

With an ext4 it used to lock up often making operation very slow and frustrating. Can anyone confirm?

anfd
2015-10-22, 13:35
Well, i guess something of the kind has been observed from what I've seen so far ...
But still, it's all about the experiment's details. And you know who's usually hiding among those details)

acquistando
2015-10-26, 18:59
I am trying to instal kali linux on my laptop using an image placed into a bootable USB key. On the same HDD I already have (freshly) installed windows 7 and ubuntu 15.04. I keep getting the same installation error at the install the system step. I tried both the CLI and graphical installation options, both failed at the same step. Here you can find the debug logs. Any hint on how to fix/overcome this issue?

hardware-summary: http://pastebin.com/sCAQ76rg
partman: http://pastebin.com/fk8EKRv8 + http://pastebin.com/zEN5L4EA
syslog: http://pastebin.com/aeZZbkZm

baolinh2015
2015-10-28, 01:32
thanks you so much

Greeneyes
2015-10-29, 08:28
i have this problem:

SYSLINUX 6.03 EDD 20150013 Copyright (C) 1994-2014 H. Peter Anvin et al
Boot error
I have tried both with the file downloaded from torrent and the one directly from the site, I tried to make the usb:
dd
unetbootin
startup disk creator

prm
2015-10-30, 00:51
I got kali 2.0 to work on macbook pro 2015 using Mac linux USB loader (to burn on USB) and refind to boot into the volume. I enabled persistency (through Mac Linux USB loader), but it doesn't work. Any suggestions on how to achieve persistence?

sLeEpYnEcRoM
2015-10-30, 21:37
I have downloaded both kali-linux-2.0-i386 32bit and 64bit iso using the torrent link in the official download page, but I am having issues on both.
first is the 64bit iso, I am not able to run it on my system when i start to boot it using live usb it just shows me a sort of blinking cursor and nothing else. With the 32 bit iso, the shasum key failed to match so I did not use it to create a 32bit live usb. Where can i directly download a 32bit iso with no issues? Thanks!

aliaezaaz
2015-10-31, 22:56
i need your help
i want to make live kali linux USB but after making USB bootable my machine (presario CQ-57 is not listing anu USB/flash drive. up to my best knowledge it have to do something with Bios (Secure Boot & Legacy Boot) which my system is not showing even upgrading bios.Your kind guidance is required in this regard please
i am currently running 64 win 7 and have downloded kali 2.0 64

eatout
2015-11-14, 03:11
How can i install Kali linux USB. I use a Mac Book air and have a problem to install it?

PEmomenBall
2015-11-20, 02:27
Last night I downloaded the Kali ISO and used win32 to put it on a 16gb thumbdrive and then went to bed. Today I put the thumb drive back in the computer and attempted to boot to Kali, nothing happened so I tried restarting the computer. Still nothing happened... So I tried to view the thumb drive and got a message that it needed formatted. I knew that ment Id loose everything on the thumb drive but I thought maybe something went wrong on install lastnight so id try over. After the format its now showing the thumb drive is empty but only has 3 GB of space? Im not sure how this happened or why?

lernaean_hydra
2015-12-01, 16:06
Hi all. Been beating my head against this for about three weeks now... I've tried several methods to try and get a live USB to boot my macbook and none have worked. I dd'd it from Arch, which on boot just made it freeze, I dd'd it from OSX, which was still readable when the dd was done, which warned me, but after dd'ing multiple times, it was always the same, and same result at boot as dd'ing from Arch. I tried Mac Linux USB bootloader, which couldn't find the grubx64.efi... One thing that might be relevant is that diskutil unmount on OSX does not work, it prompts me to use diskutil unmountDisk. Anybody who has any tips for me would make me a very happy man...

thrgk
2015-12-03, 16:27
I am using the live usb but for some reason when metasploit says its placed the payload in the root/.msf4/ etc I cannot seem to find the folder. Is it only viewable if Kali has been installed instead of running it off of the usb ?

PeterAnderson
2015-12-15, 16:32
I have downloaded Kali Linux 2.0 x64 Intel architecture, and have written the image to USB with win32 imager. Now I want to make it encrypted persistent live USB, for which in the tutorial here http://docs.kali.org/downloading/kali-linux-live-usb-persistence, in the first step, it tells to create a partition, which I am not able to. I don't understand the second command, which tells to read start, in this do I have to write the location of the iso, which is in my HDD, or do I have to copy the iso in my PD? Please tell, how to do it, if I login from Kali Linux USB, and my iso is located on the HDD?

ubermensch
2016-01-19, 05:25
Hi all. Been beating my head against this for about three weeks now... I've tried several methods to try and get a live USB to boot my macbook and none have worked. I dd'd it from Arch, which on boot just made it freeze, I dd'd it from OSX, which was still readable when the dd was done, which warned me, but after dd'ing multiple times, it was always the same, and same result at boot as dd'ing from Arch. I tried Mac Linux USB bootloader, which couldn't find the grubx64.efi... One thing that might be relevant is that diskutil unmount on OSX does not work, it prompts me to use diskutil unmountDisk. Anybody who has any tips for me would make me a very happy man...

I have the same exact problem. Does anybody know what we're doing wrong? I just used Win32DiskImager to write the .iso file to my USB (16 GB), reset in advanced startup mode, and tried to boot from USB. It didn't work so I decided to format the USB and retry, except the USB only has 3 GB now. I'm running x64 Windows 8.1. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

bgilman9100
2016-01-21, 07:18
I used the dd command in ubuntu to create the live usb. When I tried to boot from the usb it said Failed to load ldlinux.c32 Does anyone know how I can fix that? Thanks.

duxim
2016-01-21, 10:48
I used the dd command in ubuntu to create the live usb. When I tried to boot from the usb it said Failed to load ldlinux.c32 Does anyone know how I can fix that? Thanks.
it could be different reason.you did not wrote what type of bios you use
first thing is to check sha1sum of downloaded Kali iso is it ok.

bgilman9100
2016-01-21, 15:34
How do I check that? I don't see why the iso wouldn't be okay I downloaded it from their website and used dd using their tutorial. I have an msi motherboard if that helps with the BIOS question.

village_idiot
2016-02-05, 14:23

When the install balks about the CD/DVD not being found,
pull the pen drive out, wait ten seconds and reinsert the
pen drive. Again wait ten seconds and then select 'Continue'.

I found this on another website, have no idea why it works
but thus far it has worked three out of three times.

VI

Rafikki
2016-02-11, 09:30
Hello everyone. I have a linux mint in luks encrypted. When do I start my usb live persistence encrypt kali linux boot it on my hard drive and asks me the password to my hard drive rather than the USB key ... an idea?

Rafikki
2016-02-11, 09:48
hello my usb live persistence encrypt boot in my dd or not boot in my usb... help please

godstar_godstar
2016-02-12, 19:05
Hello there!
I've installed the last version of Kali ISO to USB drive. It works well in live, BUT with many troubles: BeEF doesn't work properly, maltego doesn't launch and many others issues with different programs.
I tried installing it from live to USB, but it fails every time.
Please, I'm desperate.

jack_8
2016-02-14, 15:13
Hi, I have a working kali 2.0 bootable usb, which works on my old laptop, now I have bought a new one and when booting from usb I get to the kali selection menu correctly, I can select persistence, failsafe...it starts loading correctly but then at a certan point I get this strange pcieport error and I keep error messages.1279
Bios is American Megatrends version 302. Only thing I can think of is that this new laptop has 3.1 usb which the other one did not have.
Please let me know if further information could be helpful.
Thank you!

jfranco
2016-02-14, 16:19
Hi, I have a working kali 2.0 bootable usb, which works on my old laptop, now I have bought a new one and when booting from usb I get to the kali selection menu correctly, I can select persistence, failsafe...it starts loading correctly but then at a certan point I get this strange pcieport error and I keep error messages.1279
Bios is American Megatrends version 302. Only thing I can think of is that this new laptop has 3.1 usb which the other one did not have.
Please let me know if further information could be helpful.
Thank you!

The last time I saw an issue like this it ended up being bios related. Check to see if there is a firmware upgrade for your bios and upgrade it first before proceeding then try to run it again. The fact that it runs at all rules out your 3.1 usb theory in my mind, but I could be wrong.

jack_8
2016-02-14, 16:34
The last time I saw an issue like this it ended up being bios related. Check to see if there is a firmware upgrade for your bios and upgrade it first before proceeding then try to run it again. The fact that it runs at all rules out your 3.1 usb theory in my mind, but I could be wrong.

I have just upgraded the BIOS but the result is the same. :(
I am trying and download the new rolling version of kali just in case...but I'm not really confident that this will solve my issue.

jfranco
2016-02-14, 20:26
I have the same exact problem. Does anybody know what we're doing wrong? I just used Win32DiskImager to write the .iso file to my USB (16 GB), reset in advanced startup mode, and tried to boot from USB. It didn't work so I decided to format the USB and retry, except the USB only has 3 GB now. I'm running x64 Windows 8.1. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Is your laptop seeing the usb at all during boot? Have you gone into your BIOS settings and made sure to enable legacy mode for usb? Try that and post results please.

jfranco
2016-02-14, 20:32
Ok, please let me know if the issue is resolved with Kali rolling. Do you have the correct sources.list entries to update when you complete the install?
If not, please see below:

# Main repository for Kali Rolling Release 2016.1 (32 and 64 bit)
deb http://http.kali.org/kali kali-rolling main contrib non-free
# For source package access, uncomment the following line
# deb-src http://http.kali.org/kali kali-rolling main contrib non-free
# For bleeding edge repositories, uncomment the following line
# deb http://http.kali.org/kali kali-bleeding-edge contrib non-free main

Gh0sT.sh
2016-02-26, 03:33
You could resolve the error by repeating the steps :

Run the installer.

Open a shell (ALT + F2).

Create the directory cdrom directly on the root of the file system:

mkdir /cdrom
Note : If you got problems making the directory /cdrom, disable the CD-rom player in BIOS or disconnect the cable

Mount the USB as if it is a CD-ROM:

mount -t vfat /dev/sdb1 /cdrom
Where sdb1 is your USB device.

You could carry on installation now

Source :ubuntu and debian

another solution was :

when the Window shows CDROM couldn't be mounted ,

Unplug your USB from system and re insert it
wait for mount/ detection (usb LED glow)
Hit Continue

zaileion
2016-03-06, 17:31
just remove the usb stick, re-insert it into a different usb port and select retry.. it detects the usb and installer continues.. simple..

AlikDiana
2016-03-07, 07:48
I had the same problem with you now. And I do not know what's wrong?

summersalt
2016-03-07, 09:54
Hello everyone,

I have issues with installing Kali on my Dell inspiron N4030. I was running Linx mint on this computer with no issues. After sometime of running Kali in Virtual box, i have decided to run it as my main OS on my computer. I created a Live USB and started installation.

Computer boots into Kali Live mode perfectly, but when I start installation, after coping files, the next thing i see just before a shutdown command is sent to the computer is "running OpenSsh server".

When installation process gets to this point, my computer restarts.

Please I need help with solving this problem asap. I have tried this process 3 times and same thing repeats itself.

Am sending this post from Live mode. Thanks guys... looking forward to hearing from you.

KramLinux
2016-03-09, 21:57
Thx by the guide , I don't have CD reader and i need live usb.

Veracity
2016-03-11, 02:53
Greetings All,
A student here trying to learn about Linux for the first time. Ive read the Making A Kali Bootable USB Drive (on windows running Win32) but I am wondering am I sacrificing an entire USB drive to imaging it on a USB. I have a drive I use but its 128g and I dont want to "waste" it for installing a 4g OS. Just wondering and thanks.

MyNameIsBen
2016-03-11, 05:53
I'm trying to install Kali 2016.1 on my 2015 MacBook Air via USB install. I followed the directions on the install page, but rEFInd still won't let me boot into the Kali USB. The USB works on other computers, but not my EFI Mac.