PDA

View Full Version : Dual boot issue

cygnusx-1
2021-08-10, 04:26
This has been evading me all night, and I just cannot seem to figure this out.

I'm fairly new to Kali, so I cannot explain this whatsoever. (I know many will read this and say that Kali is not a friendly OS for someone who is "new" to it, but I can navigate a linux file structure and terminal fairly well, so I'm hoping someone will be of help.

I'm running a dual boot Win10 and Kali.

During installation of Kali, I get a strange error "missing firmware during installation; iwl-debug-yoyo.bin"
It lets me continue on as normal, I'm not sure if this is related to anything, a few google searches doesn't really reveal much.

Once I'm in Kali, my wireless network adapter is nonexistant. My bluetooth is rapidly turning on and off, if I try to interact with it, it just crashes and disappears altogether as well.
I'm using an AX210NGW Intel wireless card, it was recently approved for kernel 5.10+ release according to the documentation from Intel, via https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000005511/wireless.html.
Apparently this is fairly newly supported, as it was buried in the documenation. My kernal version is 5.10.
Some people have managed to get this working, but I've tried eveything publicly listed and have failed.

I've installed the firmware as stated, tried to reinitate the wireless adapter via terminal and via reboot/restart, to no avail. It just doesn't want to work.
A few searches let me down a path of Unchecking "allow the computer to shut off the network adapter" in the Windows settings, as some have stated that it can cause issues for dual boot systems. I have disabled Windows fast start, etc. My BIOS has no "fast boot settings" enabled or available.

I'm kind of stumped, I'm going to try a fresh install with a different .iso in the meantime.. but I'm afraid that is just kicking the can at this point. I obtained the .iso directly from the kali mainpage, so I assume that is probably the best source..

Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

SterhTG
2021-10-01, 07:02
Hi,
I suppose that your kernel do not support your adapter. It is not guaranteed that your installed kernel have support. Try to install kernel from different repo - from debian unstable for example.

echo "deb http://ftp.debian.org/debian unstable main contrib non-free" > /etc/apt/sources.list.d/debian-unstable.list
apt update
apt install linux-image-5.14.0-1-amd64
reboot