PDA

View Full Version : Raspberry pi 4 B dead after "apt upgrade"

UnNs
2021-10-30, 11:51
Hi, I'm new to this forum, and I'm posting as soon as possible. I ran a simple "apt upgrade" on both my two raspberry pi 4 B and then forcefully rebooted ("reboot" wasn't working so without too muck thinking used "reboot -f"), heard the fans spin abnormally fast, saw the screens diconnecting and found them dead. None of the green and red leds were responnding to power input so I immediately tested the pins: found the 5V pin emitting little to no voltage, and the 3.3V pin completely dead. After a little of research I found that this is usually due to damage to the polyfuse or the PMIC. Both the raspberry were upgrading from kali-linux-2021.1-rpi4-nexmon; on one there was a fan on 3.3V-GND and the other a different fan on 5V-GND. They used different power sources, and were bought on different years and places. So I guess it was some sort of error due to the upgrade and reboot, that led to an overload of the GPIO pins, and killed them. I'm posting for the hope not of recovering my raspberrys but for someone to look if there is an issue that could damage more than just mine. Sorry for my bad english and excuse me if I posted in the wrong place.