PDA

View Full Version : switching to FireFox on Kali - made simple

S4Sly
2013-03-25, 21:27
Hello all.
I understand the philosophy of Debian (all free and open source stuff, etc. not looking to argue about that, this post isn't about that).

But I needed an "up to date" Firefox for many reasons. Iceweasel is great but only at version 18.0.1, while FF is at 19.0.2.

So I tried the experimental branch of Iceweasel, ended up with version 20.0, not a stable branch, so use at your own risk. Wasn't to happy about that, so I kept on looking.

I'm an IT Sec pro, as most of u are, and I wanted the latest, up to date, stable browser that just works and that I'm used to.

There is this project called ubuntuzilla that will install FF on Kali (Debian) and that does just what I was looking for.

I just want to share how I did it (found commands on another forum, kudos to MG):

apt-get remove iceweasel
echo -e "\ndeb http://downloads.sourceforge.net/project/ubuntuzilla/mozilla/apt all main" | tee -a /etc/apt/sources.list > /dev/null
apt-key adv --recv-keys --keyserver keyserver.ubuntu.com C1289A29
apt-get update
apt-get install firefox-mozilla-build

That removed Iceweasel, added the repository for the installation, imported the required gpg key, updated my stuff and then installed the app.

All that I had left to do was to modify the icon in the launch bar to point to FF instead, with proper logo.

FF 19.0.2, now works great, no bugs. I can now go to the help menu to make sure that I have the latest patched version, before browsing.

I'm currently upgrading from BT5R3, just wanted to share my experience.

I'm not a guru, so use at your own risk.

Take care guys,
Sly