PDA

View Full Version : Live-build package not found

viraniac
2013-03-14, 03:31
I am using Kali-linux 64-bit edition. I wanted to create a custom disc with mate desktop. But when I ran the comman to install live-build its showing package is missing. Please fix this.

root@kali:~# apt-get install git live-build cdebootstrap
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
Package live-build is not available, but is referred to by another package.
This may mean that the package is missing, has been obsoleted, or
is only available from another source

E: Package 'live-build' has no installation candidate
E: Unable to locate package cdebootstrap

EDIT: Alright. No replies yet, but I guess this might be because I left one key piece of information i.e. I have kali installed in a VM and was not trying this from a live dvd. I also figured out the cause of the problem and hence posting the solution here.

I checked the apt sources in the live dvd and saw that there are a total of 4 sources listed in the /etc/apt/sources.list file. When I checked the same file on the hard drive installation it only has 1 sources listed. Now thats weird. So adding the missing sources back to the hard drive installation fixed the problem.

devi1
2013-03-15, 04:23
Run apt-get update and then try again.

rehartley
2013-03-25, 01:26
Run apt-get update and then try again.

I tried that and it did not fix the problem.

devi1
2013-03-26, 05:54
My bad, I think I spoke too soon. I have noticed that whenever I have a fresh install of kali the sources are messed up (like you wrote about in your edit to the op) and I have to go to the faq on the documentation wiki, copy and paste the sources into my sources.list file and comment out whatever was in there before, then run apt-get update and after that it's able to see all the packages.

root
2013-04-03, 18:38
Also got this problem. How to fix it? OS installed as virtual machine and it 64x-bit.

charonsecurity
2013-04-06, 05:52
root, you have to update your sources.list file to include the correct sources.
http://wiki.debian.org/Derivatives/Census/Kali should point you in the right direction :)