PDA

View Full Version : Kali Login Issues

badchars
2022-02-24, 17:24
Hi all, first time poster here.

I am a regular Kali user, but I am having some new issues that I have not experienced before. I've looked long and hard for solutions but haven't had any luck, hopefully someone here can help.

I just got a new MacBook Pro (M1 Max) and I am using VMWare Fusion (Apple Silicon Tech Preview) to run Kali-Rolling 2022.1 (ARM). I had been using this flawlessly for about 2 weeks with no issues. I added some tools that regularly use, nothing too substantial. However, I powered down my VM and now I can't log in (GUI). I hit the login screen, type my credentials and that's where my luck ends. I just see the background image from the login screen, it doesn't appear to be doing anything after that. I can use CTRL+OPTION+F1 to login to the TTY but that's about as far as I've gotten... no clue what config to edit or troubleshoot beyond that. I've attempted to `apt update/upgrade`... the usual stuff. No luck.

I can revert back to my "fresh install" snapshot and run the VM again with no issues but that means I have to start over from scratch... Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance!