PDA

View Full Version : Install Issues, Please help!

DannyFilthMF
2022-03-16, 17:03
No ethernet card detected and no WiFi DELL Latitude 5510
I am trying to install Kali on my Latitude 5510.

I went through the following steps:
1. I downloaded kali linux using the torrent version at this link https://cdimage.kali.org/kali-2021.4...ller-amd64.iso
2. I used Rufus to create a bootable usb drive using the downloaded iso
3. I rebooted and started installing the iso

I faced 3 problems during installation:

1. The Network Card was not detected and I was prompted with the following message:
"Some of your hardware needs non-free firmware files to operate. The firmware can be loaded from removable media, such as USB stick or floppy.
The missing firmware files are: (There was a big list of drivers here I was unable to copy)
If you have such media available now, insert it, and continue.
Load missing firmware from removable media? (No, Yes)"

2. The network card was not listed and I could not choose any network card manually

3. Installing the following (Xfce, --top10 -- the most 10 popular tools, --default-- recommended tools) showed an error and could not be installed.

Solutions I tried:

I did the following:

1. As advised in many forums, I just chose No when loading missing firmwares. I read many forums telling that we can install the missing files later after booting.

2. The installation continued and when I could not choose any network drive from the list, I chose: No network adapter

3. I chose defaults only and the installation continued

Problems
The machine boots successfuly and I could open Kali linux. However, as expected, WiFi was not connected -obviously because the network drive was not installed-
The suggested solutions for this were connecting throught an ethernet cable which I tried but since there was no network card dectected during install I have no connection.

Many solutions suggest that I need to do some commands like: apt get update and apt get upgrade. This sounds great but I do not have internet on my machine. No WiFi and no ethernet cable connected.

Some of the linux commands such as "ifconfig" are not working as well. I assume this is because not being able to install the default or top10 tools during installation.

I am stuck now and I can not find more help any where.

afiadi
2022-03-21, 09:24
For number 1 as my experienced you must flash iso kali linux if you use windows flash it with rufus then when you click start message will appear and choose DD image. Don't forge to disable antivirus including windows defender before make usb bootable kali linux. After flash just restart don't open your flashdisk in windows explorer. restart and boot from your usb live kali linux.
For number 2 you must note what is your network ethernet and wifi card, you can know it from windows device manager or from usb live kali linux, open terminal and type sudo lshw -class network -short
For number 3 maybe you need internet connection, if you failed in number 2 you can use usb tethering from your smartphone.