PDA

View Full Version : Authentication is required to run /usr/bin/x-terminal-emulator as root

Aishwarya Selvarajan_06
2022-03-16, 17:41
I am a newbee to Kali Linux. I am using kali-linux-2021.4a-installer-amd64.iso in Oracle VM Virtual Box. I have configured Kali Linux as per the official documentation, where I was supposed to provide a password for non root user. After successful configuration, I have found 3 Terminal emulators: root terminal emulator, powershell, terminal emulator. Whenever I wanted to install using apt-get I used root terminal emulator, which prompts me for Authentication. Kali allowed this login to root terminal emulator using the non user password for few number of times and I was able to install few packages. Suddenly when I try to provide this same password, I get Authentication failure.

Now, is this the problem that the root has not been enabled? If I need to enable the root do I need to reconfigure the kali?
I have tried resetting the password by changing ro to rw and providing init=/bin/bash. But it doesn't work.

Any kind of help is appreciated.

Hamzee
2022-07-18, 06:00
I am a newbee to Kali Linux. I am using kali-linux-2021.4a-installer-amd64.iso in Oracle VM Virtual Box. I have configured Kali Linux as per the official documentation, where I was supposed to provide a password for non root user. After successful configuration, I have found 3 Terminal emulators: root terminal emulator, powershell, terminal emulator. Whenever I wanted to install using apt-get I used root terminal emulator, which prompts me for Authentication. Kali allowed this login to root terminal emulator using the non user password for few number of times and I was able to install few packages. Suddenly when I try to provide this same password, I get Authentication failure.

Now, is this the problem that the root has not been enabled? If I need to enable the root do I need to reconfigure the kali?
I have tried resetting the password by changing ro to rw and providing init=/bin/bash. But it doesn't work.

Hello,

A little more of information would be required, but I think that you're trying to run the "Root terminal" from the applications menu in gnome, that should load gksu asking for your root password and then is when you see the error, is like that?

If you open a terminal (https://theusblog.net/how-to-hack-wifi-using-terminal-emulator-in-android/) as normal user type su put the root password and press enter, do you get any errors? Is your user added to the wheel group? Do you remember with what you played at the command line?

Looking forward to hearing from you

Trihexagonal
2022-07-24, 08:49

Use Qterminal or xterm and run these from your user account. No need to enable the root account:

sudo apt update
sudo apt upgrade