PDA

View Full Version : Encrypted persistance not working only when mounting IMG in VMWARE

djesys
2022-04-07, 11:20
Hey,
I have a MBP and successfully run KALI from a usb-stick with encrypted persistence in DUAL BOOT and VMWARE USB-BOOT.
I made a backup of the stick using DD.

Now, I set up a new VM, which boots from DVD, on which I mounted the Kali-Image (backup.img).

Grub starts, but upon choosing "Encrypted persistence" as usual, it skips the PW entry and I end up in a live system without persistence.
I don?t know what to make if this. If I DD the image back to Drive and boot from it, it asks for the LUKS-PW.

Why is it skipping the PW entry when running the image in vmware ?

Thanks !

Fred Sheehan
2022-08-03, 00:42
you said you 'bbot it from DVD' in which case its treated as an unchangeable ISO so how could you have persistence that would imply 'keeping changes'

djesys
2022-08-08, 02:45
How else would I run the Vmware from the image ? Mounting as a DVD seems the only option. I tried Floppy, but it complained about size.

Fred Sheehan
2022-08-09, 08:59
I think your missing the point, to have persistence you would need to be able to write to it, a DVD by definition is a fixed image (ISO), i.e. unchangeable so cannot be written too..

So it can only run 'as a Live Image' i.e. as if from a burned DVD ISO.. an .img is only a virtual disk of a fixed media.