PDA

View Full Version : Upgrading from backtrack to kali (dual boot)

Swblk
2013-05-17, 19:51
Hello guys,

I am not sure if is this ok with forum rules, but im going to ask anyway. I was using Backtrack during study at university just for fun and learning so i am not much skilled in administration and installing and this kind of stuff.

Few weeks ago, i did get a job, in company that runs linux (gentoo) on all machines, so im getting more familiar with linux every day, and i decided to replacve old backtrak with new kali :)

But, I have one problem with installation. Backtrack is still on my HDD and im not sure how to remove it. I searched over internet and found several ways how to remove linux from dual boot, but they are quite different, so i would like to ask you gus, if you could give me some advices or share some experience from removing backtrack when you were upgrading your OS to new version.

ATM, I am running ASUS PRO64J series with Windows 7 as main OS, which i would like to keep as main OS (with about 400GB of HHd space) and as second OS i have atm Backtrack 5 r3, KDE.

My backtrack is atm kinda broken, as i was installing new graphic driver and im stuck with text mode only. And i have no data on Backtrack partition that will cause any troubles if lost, but that cant be said about Win7 :)

So, could please anyone share some info about removing backtrack (or any other similar linux) from your dual boot? :)

PS: I hope that this thread is not against any rules of those forums.

Swblk
2013-05-19, 14:01
Hello, its me again, I couldn't wait any longer so i decided to try one method.

Atm i am writing this post from Kali, KDE. But i thought that some ppl might be interested in my feedback.

I used an EasyBCD application to pure my PC from BackTrack, it was the easiest way that i found, and I think easiest way is usualy best, so i picked up this one. This application does one thing, it rewrite linux GRUB with default Windows boot menu (and it has much more possibilities which i did not used, yet). After that, i just deleted in Windows HDD managmenet window linux partitions..

After that, creating bootable DVD and installing Kali was just matter of time. Than i played abit with installing KDE, but i have now working Kali with KDE.

BUT, there is always some BUT, and here are mine BUT's, which i need help with.

1.) wifi management.
While in GNOME, i have no troubles with switching wifi networks and stuff, but once I am in KDE, I have no control of my wifi connection. I have searched every menu in settings that I was able to find, several commnads that I know from other linuxes (gentoo, ubuntu), but i was not able to find any wifi managing application :(

2.) disk keeps working.
This is not so visible, but its much more annoying. My HDD keep working, like hes trying to do something so hard, that is slow down my system and even time to time freeze whole PC, And this is doing in both, Win and Linux OS. I have runned Win's scan disc, but it did not find anything wrong. I am affraid that I have damaged disc or something while deleting BackTrack partitions, or have chosen some wrong option while installing Kali.

Everything else looks fine so far, kali looks great and i really like it :)

Edit: Im running both Win 7 and Kali in 64-bit version.

maverik35
2013-05-19, 19:00
Sorry I'm late on your question.

I would suggest (little late I belive) to erase the partition completly and create a new one with ext4 Filesystem, leave the swap partition untouched. Then use text installation from menu when booting from kali..Just use the partition you newly created...

One piece of advice: When using linux, use only linux, forget about the windows world and avoid all GUI guided app specially when dealing with grub. Start there...

Question 1: Wifi management
Well, have you installed or already installed the network-manager or wicd package?...The gnome version is the official one. The KDE has been made by some users building it based on the wiki, but some packages are missing, so you might need to install them after installing the KDE version, among others could be the Network Manager or wicd. In the wiki is all about including more packages before creating the live distro if interested. But some KDE distros are here provided by some users.

Question 2: I strongly suggest to delete partition, and create a new one for kali with ext4 filesystem as I stated above. Leave the swap partition alone, just delete the one with BT5 and create a new one.

Use the text mode installation after booting from live Kali, but at the menu, not after entering the kali distro, AT the MENU, my friend.

Luck.

Swblk
2013-05-19, 19:17
So, reinstall, well, "repating is mother of wishom" :)

Thanks for advice, gonna put here my results when its done.