PDA

View Full Version : Persistance isn't working

Mikey
2022-07-26, 17:29
i've got Kali working on my laptop but when using the encrypted persistence version from the boot menu it loads as usual. I set up a new folder on the desktop called Holding 1 and put some text files into it. Then rebooted and when the desktop appeared there was no Holding 1 folder anywhere to be seen.

So the encrypted persistence isn't working for me. Or am I doing something wrong here.

I'd be grateful if some one would explane to me why I can't save my data so when I reboot I don't have to go over the same stuff again because its already there. I wanted to get this sorted out as I have still not got the WiFi working either. I don't want to have to repeat that setup more than once.

Thanks a lot.

Mikey.

Fred Sheehan
2022-07-26, 23:14
persistence is about creating an 'extra partition' in the empty space left on a USB drive, anything you save to this 'extra partition' will be 'persistent' but not the OS partition as this is 'fixed'

WiFi is usually drivers issues, not all 'just work'.

If you want ease of use, try using version of Kali in a VM with an external USB WiFi adapter, you get a Kali system you can use as you would expect able to update and save files etc, and no driver issues, and you can just 'pause' a VM exactly where you are and when you return it is exactly as you left it.

Mikey
2022-07-27, 09:41
Hi
As I couldn't figure this out on the laptop I've installed Kali in virtual box on my desktop machine instead. I had a **** of a time trying to figure out how to change the Virtualisation to enabled as it was under a different name in my bios.

Anyway its up and running in virtual box so I can play around with it for a while.

As its in VB will it have the same affect when I start Private Internet Access on my desktop and it will be hidden from view like everything else.

Thanks for answering my first question btw.

Cheers.

Mikey.

Fred Sheehan
2022-07-28, 10:16
Kali in a VM will get a virtual 'Ethernet' connection and depending on your main VB settings, usually its own IP address on your network as well, in this respect it will act as if its a real device from a functional point of view.

The only caveates, is it will be running a virtual GPU so any hash cracking will revert to using the CPU, and if you want to do any WiFi scanning or attacking you will need an external WiFi adapter, but I believe you already have this :)