PDA

View Full Version : Sound outputs through wrong audio device on 2022.2 Live AMD64

Reindeer
2022-08-03, 02:56
Hi:

I'm a relative newbie to Linux, but I'll do the work if you point me in the right direction.

Asus M5AR97 v2.0 motherboard.
Sound chip: Realtek 887 HD Audio

I made a bootable USB flash drive and Kali boots fine. So far, most of what I tried works okay except for sound.
Sound plays through my speakerphone, instead of through my onboard Realtek 887.

I checked the Pulseaudio settings, and the Realtek does appear to be listed in there. However, when I try to configure sound settings to do playback through the sound card, it plays nothing. Needless to say, a speakerphone is not a good device to listen to video content. Pulseaudio is not what you'd call a user-friendly interface. Very confusing, IMO.

Can anyone suggest how to fix this?

Thanks

Fred Sheehan
2022-08-11, 20:34
https://unix.stackexchange.com/questions/238731/how-to-get-realtek-alc887-5-1-sound-detected-in-debian

Reindeer
2022-09-05, 20:55
https://unix.stackexchange.com/questions/238731/how-to-get-realtek-alc887-5-1-sound-detected-in-debian

Unfortunately, that didn't work for me. Any other suggestions?

Fred Sheehan
2022-09-07, 23:45
sudo apt install pavucontrol

That will give you a nice user friendly volume control that you can change settings easily, you need to change your output device to anaqlogue output type probably..

Pulse audio defaults to HDA and sometimes this gives no sound

another possible fix would be to tell Pulse audio what device to use for HDA sound..

creating a file at /etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base.conf:

options snd_hda_realtek index=1

or

options snd-hda-realtek model=generic

if nothing else works..
load up alsamixer (in a terminal type alsamixer hit return key) and use F6 to switch between soundcards to find the one with analogue output.

Reindeer
2022-09-09, 22:16
if nothing else works..
load up alsamixer (in a terminal type alsamixer hit return key) and use F6 to switch between soundcards to find the one with analogue output.

This, loading alsamixer and changing the setting worked. THANKS!