PDA

View Full Version : Installing Kali Linux .iso on VirtualBox; metapackage problem

csmith491
2022-08-13, 19:42
I've been (trying) to create Kali Linux VM on VirtualBox and, up until this point, everything was working well.

But when I get to the point of installing the metapackages (Select and install software step) it seems to download and install completely, but then gives me an error message. Error reads:

An installation step failed. You can try to run the failing item again from the menu, or skip it and choose something else. The failing step is: Select and install software

I didn't think keeping the defaults set should cause this. I'm not sure if it's a memory/storage issue (there should be plenty of space allocated) or what is happening. Should I try removing one of the selected defaults and see if it works?

I chose the bare metal option to download. I know there's an option specifically for VirtualBox, but it didn't come as an .iso file and wasn't sure if that would work. Maybe try the other one?

Fred Sheehan
2022-08-14, 13:57
Lots of users seem to have this issue with a virtual machine install, I've even had it myself in the past. Yes, choose a basic install tht doesn't need any downloads, and once Kali is installed and running, you can update it from the Kali Tweaks menu to include any software you need.