PDA

View Full Version : SIGKILL sent to all processes

thenext
2013-03-30, 15:06
I downloaded kali-linux-1.0.1-i386 and created the ISO. I have attempted to install it three time and each time as GRUB is installing i receive an error that ends SIGKILL sent to all processes. The laptop will restart and then load a collection of repeating colored screens (3 shades of white, red, green, grey). I am using a DELL Inspirion 5160.

maverik35
2013-04-03, 20:19
Are you using VM? USB? DVD?

if in VM, how many partitions are you using?

thenext
2013-04-11, 04:07
Are you using VM? USB? DVD?

if in VM, how many partitions are you using?

I'm doing a fresh install over winXP, from a DVD ISO, dedicating the whole HDD. I thought it may have been a partition issue, so restored the Dell to Factory spec and installed a popular LTS version of Linux. This OS loads the log-in screen, but after entering said details, graphics lock up. As Kali runs NVIDIA package 310, I installed Kali again, this time no issues during install, but get the same problem after loading from HDD. Again, this points to a graphic issue as I can run all options from DVD, issue only occurs when booting off the HDD.

Please note: I tested the laptop immediately prior to the original Kali install, as it had sat in a cupboard for close to a year and had no issues.

So my next step: Kali has a complete NVIDIA package. I am going to nuke the HDD, update the BIOS to Dell V08 (last available for the Inspiron 5160), then reinstall Kali again. If there are any other ideas (this will take 6 hours) I'd be glad to hear them.

thenext
2013-04-18, 18:05
Guess what? I didnt realize the 5160 is 32-bit architecture