Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Customize the Kali Desktop KDE, Gnome, Mate, XFCE, LXDE, e17, etc

I've been trying to build a few custom Kali ISOs with various alternate desktops. I've used the following command to do so, having made no modifications to the stock live-build-config setup downloaded from the git.kali.org:

./build.sh --distribution sana --variant kde --verbose

The above command worked awesome. When I installed Kali from the generated ISO, a text based Login: prompt appeared for about 2 second, then it disappeared and I was greeted by the KDE GUI Login prompt. KDE seemed to work great.

When I tried to build and ISO with the --variant mate, --variant i3wm, or --variant e17 commands, it did not work so well. I installed Kali from the generated ISOs, but upon first boot of the installed OS, all I got was the text login prompt. Even if I logged in, no graphical desktop loaded. Arn't they supposed to load automatically like Gnome and KDE do? Any suggestions as to what I might try to fix this?

Thanks,
    Riddick

I used the --variant mate option, got the text login prompt, and as soon as I logged in, the mate desktop loaded. I would also like to automate it.

This happens because a display manager is not installed -- at least for the MATE variant. An easy fix is attached. It logs you in automatically and starts X.
    Attachments Pending Approval Attachments Pending Approval

I'm looking to customize the background for a gnome build. I've tried placing the wallpaper into /includes.chroot/usr/share/images/kali-wallpaper_1920x1080.png with no success. It works great for the xfce build however.

how to install mate on kali 32 bit?
    Last edited by hcq; 2016-09-18 at 04:11 PM.

I tried to make an 32 bit LXDE Kali Linux (as an iso) ... but while downloading he said that some packages were missing. Is there any way to still get a 32 bit LXDE Kali?

can you give more details on what is missing? log, error message, anything that could help us, because for now i could only say, install the missing package :-P

"Reading package lists... Done
    Building dependency tree
    Reading state information... Done
    [2017-02-13 21:09:20] lb config
    P: Executing auto/config script.
    [2017-02-13 21:09:21] lb config noauto --distribution kali-rolling --debian-installer-distribution kali-rolling --archive-areas main contrib non-free --debootstrap-options --keyring=/usr/share/keyrings/kali-archive-keyring.gpg --keyring-packages kali-archive-keyring --updates false --backports false --source false --firmware-binary true --firmware-chroot true --mirror-bootstrap http://archive.kali.org/kali --mirror-debian-installer http://archive.kali.org/kali --mirror-binary http://http.kali.org/kali --iso-application Kali Linux --iso-publisher Kali --iso-volume Kali Live --linux-packages linux-image --memtest memtest86 --bootappend-live boot=live components splash username=root hostname=kali --bootappend-live-failsafe boot=live components username=root hostname=kali memtest noapic noapm nodma nomce nolapic nomodeset nosmp nosplash vga=normal --security false --debian-installer live --linux-flavours 486
    P: Updating config tree for a debian/kali-rolling/i386 system
    P: Symlinking hooks...
    Can't build rch image on i386 system."

First, I tried it on a 64Bit Kali, thats why it doesn't work BEFORE I asked the question here. Now its on a 32 Bit Kali and it still doesn't seems to work.