Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Customize the Kali Desktop KDE, Gnome, Mate, XFCE, LXDE, e17, etc

Quote Originally Posted by nix View Post
    are there any plans on having a downloadeble KDE iso?
    I know... how friggin terrible is gnome! gotta close windows via the task panel :@@:

no need to use someone botched iso just because it has kde on it, just...

apt-get install synaptic

then locate the desktop manager of your choice, eg type KDE into the search box after you've started synaptic.

Install the common files for KDE Desktop... during unpacking and installing you will have a configuration window pop up...

after KDE is installed reboot and from the drop-down box on the logon screen select kde plasma.

once you're one the plasma desktop you can install wicd and then purge network manager and gnome.

apt-get install wicd
    apt-get purge network-manager
    apt-get autoremove gdm3
    apt-get autoremove –purge gnome*

then magically the year you're living in is 2013 again and not 1985

I've put together a KDE build manually. Is it possible to use the same format you described with XFCE?

Quote Originally Posted by phlegm View Post
    I know... how friggin terrible is gnome! gotta close windows via the task panel :@@:

no need to use someone botched iso just because it has kde on it, just...

apt-get install synaptic

then locate the desktop manager of your choice, eg type KDE into the search box after you've started synaptic.

Install the common files for KDE Desktop... during unpacking and installing you will have a configuration window pop up...

after KDE is installed reboot and from the drop-down box on the logon screen select kde plasma.

once you're one the plasma desktop you can install wicd and then purge network manager and gnome.

apt-get install wicd
    apt-get purge network-manager
    apt-get autoremove gdm3
    apt-get autoremove –purge gnome*

then magically the year you're living in is 2013 again and not 1985

They put together a guide to do it yourself and people still complain about no KDE version!?
    Ubuntu only comes with Gnome, someone else made it with KDE and packaged it as Kubuntu. You're all well within your rights to go ahead and do the same thing, rather than expect the dev team to do everything for you.
    On a separate note; I'm thinking of making a DWM build

Or at least a Non PAE release of KDE or Gnome I'm sure theres alot of people running older machines like me

I have a KDE build. I followed the instructions

Quote Originally Posted by muts View Post
    To build your own Kali ISO image with a custom Desktop Environment, start by following the build your own Kali ISO guide. Before building your ISO, edit config/package-lists/kali.list.chroot to contain the following entries to install the desktop environment of your choice:

To read the full document, check our Customize the Kali Desktop article.

If you have any issues with this procedure, please post them in this thread.

Thank you Muts for the quality info. I do however have one thing to add that would have saved me literally a handful of hours.

Make sure you have A LOT of disk space available.

I ran through the procedures and everything was cool aside from the two hour download of all the updated programs. I installed Kali in virtualbox and figured the finished ISO would be about the same size or smaller than the original ISO. SO guessed 18 GB would be sufficient. It wasn't and I had now spent 2 hours waiting for all the updates. Oh well, chalk that up to trial and error. I deleted the virtual disk and create 24 GB Virtual disk. I then started the hybrid.iso creation process and waited another 2 hours for downloads to finish. Only to find out that I still ran out of disk space. !!! *smashes head against wall*

Third time was a charm, I deleted the 24GB virtual disk and created a 34GB virtual drive. I woke up the next day and found my LXDE-Kali hybrid.ISO.

I tested the ISO and it works great "SO FAR".

Again, thank you for the quality links on how to change from gnome to a lighter weight OS.

But it would have been nice to know ahead of time how much disk space I would need to have available. This reply is simply here to hopefully let others know so they don't spend 6-7 hours downloading updated for no good reason.

I apologize in advance if this has been discussed elsewhere, but I did research this as best I could.

Other distributions that use Gnome (Ubuntu, Fedora, etc.) have a...shiny version that uses a Mac-esque Spotlight or Windows 7 indexing search. For example, on Fedora, I can press the "Windows" button on my keyboard and it will tile all my open windows and put me at a search bar that I can use to just type "Terminal" (for example) and it will open Terminal instead of having to dig through menus.

I read in the Customize the Kali Desktop (http://docs.kali.org/live-build/cust...op-environment) documentation, but it alludes to building a custom ISO. I already have Kali installed so can I just run apt-get for
    Code:
    gnome-core
    kali-defaults
    kali-root-login
    desktop-base

I have a question regarding KDE desktop.

How well does it work in a live USB? Does it adapt to all machines anywhere anytime?

...ok that was 2 questions.

Quote Originally Posted by Quest View Post
    How well does it work in a live USB? Does it adapt to all machines anywhere anytime?
    Personally I love the KDE Build I made. I have had no problems with it, and so far was worked well on every machine I've used it on. It's quite fast and responsive too. I amde an i386 version. Can use it as a live USB, as well as having the options to install it.
    Fact, Science and the Pursuit of Knowledge. Working to secure your networks from threats; Outside and Within.

I just used "apt-get install xfce4" and afterd it istalled "xfce4-goodies" later on you can delete gnome with the remove and purge i choose not to.