Thread: First Impressions

First Impressions

Hi guys,
    I just wanna say that Kali rocks! I like it more than Backtrack 5(although big respect to those that put hard work into it too!). As it runs much faster in virtualbox, on my old laptop. Gonna read the docs, and start practising!

Cheers

Yeah, really nice job. I think restructuring and changing to Debian was very good and correct idea.

Let's hope it'll prove it's usefulness. Thanks.

Which one did you load on your virutalbox? did you do the 64 or the 32 bit one?

I notice the 64 runs okay ... The 32 runs okay also but the only problem I see is updating the system. it's really slow when it comes down to that. I have a pretty fast connection so don't really know why it's slow when updating the OS.

Me too loved Kali Linux, Keep up the good work guys

Simple....

I must say I really like the new interface and the move to debian. It feels snappy and it looks sleek. That being said
    - Personally, I don't like the fact that all the tools have moved from /pentest/whatever. It's especially confusing when you want to configure a tool or wanna play with it more. Having each tool in its own nicely structure directory (and directory tree) made it oh so much easier to work with everything (especially if you're not a mouse fan)
    - am I missing something or why does it seem like metasploit isn't updating from git anymore ?

Malakai, I've been usingn Kali.32 on VBox.
    The only problem is on the login screen. It looks like it is beeing resized to 1080 while my display is 768.
    After the login everything comes back to normal size.
    Beside this, it runs sweet.

So far I love it, I haven't had this much fun in months! Thank you for the amazing work.

Still checking out how Kali Linux turns out. But so far it has been impressive. Easy access to all the tools and the looks is somehow pretty cool as well. Hopefully we'll see more themes in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by Jay View Post
    I must say I really like the new interface and the move to debian. It feels snappy and it looks sleek. That being said
    - Personally, I don't like the fact that all the tools have moved from /pentest/whatever. It's especially confusing when you want to configure a tool or wanna play with it more. Having each tool in its own nicely structure directory (and directory tree) made it oh so much easier to work with everything (especially if you're not a mouse fan)
    - am I missing something or why does it seem like metasploit isn't updating from git anymore ?
    I could not agree with you more. While I love majority of everything in Kali Linux, I am a little bothered by having everything inside of /usr/share directory. While pentesting, it was pretty convenient to navigate to something such as /pentest/enumeration/snmp and just look at all the available CLI SNMP tools there as opposed to having to browse to it by the GUI.

Aside from that, I think the only small difference was that terminator (a customizable gnome terminal providing features such as splitting horizontally, vertically, etc.) didn't appear to display fonts properly. Not sure if this is just something with display driver compatibility or what, but now I'm using the regular gnome terminal because of this.

I'm finding that I'm continuously trying to find a lab to work on just so I can use Kali Linux a bit more. Haha.

Everything is in the path and accessible directly because the Kali Linux use the FHS compliant . I like Kali Linux much.

Kali is the best distro I have seen! Its faster and as far as I can tell more compatible then backtrack 5. The only dislikes Is theres no proxy manager like in previous version (or maybe I havent found it) and with the pentest folder but I can get use to it.
    Thank you all very much.

I like it a lot, I currently have it running in a live CD on my laptop and so far I'm not dissapointed. All of the same tools I used on BT5 works without error here as well. Only problem I've had that has cut me back majorly is how I can't close my laptop lid and then resume my session with opening the lid as the screen stays black and I have to force a poweroff then reboot but other than that it is insanely good, much quicker as well.

After a couple of Days using Kali, I must say it is a breathe of fresh air. Its clean, logical and vary versatile. Good Work

I like Kali and the only minor issue I have with Kali is that it is not EFI bootable out of the box but that easily fixed.
    Last edited by bofh28; 2013-03-21 at 00:18. Reason: fixed a mistake in posting
    I like the bleeding edge, but I don't like blood loss!

Is there a way to edit the appearance a bit,unless I'm missing something but I can't edit the the top toolbar at all,remove icons etc... Other than that it runs very smooth..

Love it.

And suddenly BT seems a bit immacture. No more programs for the sake of having them, you guys really cleaned it up.

I also can't thank you enough for giving wicd the cold shouler, or the "bad password" response if you will.

This is the first time ever that I have changed my principal distro and I have installed Kali in my hard drive. The reason is the new philosophy of the project and the change from Ubuntu to Debian Wheezy and the made optimizations. This project is the most important of their class and it's growing even more with time.

Great job, besides no KDE edition I'm building it on my own during testing that one with Gnome. I could bare with Gnome, if there is Aero Snap feature. Right now I have no idea how to enable it, can't find any info on Debian/Gnome forums and when I'm working with many windows it's killer-feature for me.

If there is a way to enable it, pls msg me.

Also good first impression, very snappy as a 64bit VBox Guest.

Only issue I've had thus far is with sqlmap (one of my fav tools) bing a bit out of date in the distro, and the default sqlmap --update not working due to lack of .git (likely by design). I saw another post that indicated that self-updating tools will not be supported, but that tool changes so frequently I like to keep it up-to-date. So I created a seperate git clone and will use that version instead of the one in the dist, no biggie...

As others had mentioned do miss /pentest and it's going to take a bit to adapt, but adaptation is a requires skill for life...

Thanks for everyone's work on this project!

over 90,000 Downloads says it all...
    + many long nights trying to get use to the new system.

funny but for me the smallest but most vital change was the native move to network-manager (: makes life simpler.

Quote Originally Posted by semy View Post
    Great job, besides no KDE edition I'm building it on my own during testing that one with Gnome. I could bare with Gnome, if there is Aero Snap feature. Right now I have no idea how to enable it, can't find any info on Debian/Gnome forums and when I'm working with many windows it's killer-feature for me.

I noted that if you download the mini iso, it's about 20mib, than you can choose a different gui from the advanced options during the setup.

Anyway i really like Kali and i think this is the right way. Thanks.

Really enjoying it, thank you very much for the hard work put into making it happen!

No KDE makes me sad!

Quote Originally Posted by semy View Post

First let me just say awesome job guys! This is one of the smoothest running and easiest installing builds that has been released. However here are some gripes. KDE is a fairly standard Linux desktop and I prefer it as well. It's a shame that there are no prebuilt isos. Also where is Compiz? I don't want to have to recompile the whole distro and Compiz every time I want to use KDE and Compiz. As far as the roll your own Mini ISO goes there should be a manual for that showing how to build and select variants and include all the standard/default release pentesting tools. Something at least that says what the core tools are and which packages you need to setup the desktop like Xorg and what not. It would be kind of cool to build an Icewm version of Kali. Other than that its fairly solid! I like the use of the 3.7 Kernel. I don't really know of any other distros using a recent Kernel. Finally some Broadcom support without having to recompile the whole Kernel. All networking should be modularized by default!

this is crazy, the makers of back|track are themselves behind the kali. And you make them laugh.

Quote Originally Posted by Malachai View Post
    I notice the 64 runs okay ... The 32 runs okay also but the only problem I see is updating the system. it's really slow when it comes down to that. I have a pretty fast connection so don't really know why it's slow when updating the OS.
    install apt-fast

Very nice; i Like!

First impression: ***!?!
    After 2 weeks: I'm so in luuurve ~♡~

Iv tested and its great, snappier than BT.

Its evolution baby !!!

Very nice; i Like!

Hey,

am impressed by Kali
    Can be considered a upgrade to Backtrack 5
    it's up to the task
    However, personal point of view,
    for some reason never liked gnome.
    will upgrade my laptop asap, that is, when successful in compiling my personal version of it
    KDE and some other stuff.

Great work none the less

Ref: First Impressions

Very happy with Kali. A big thank you to TH3CR@CK3R.

0pt1k

The interface is rock solid. My only complaint (which is trivial) are the fonts in the shell. I can't figure out how to change them.