Thread: Installing on Dell Mini with 4GB SSD

Installing on Dell Mini with 4GB SSD

Hello all,
    I've been trying to install Kali on a Dell Mini 9 with a 4GB SSD. It fails a normal installation (I assume because of the 8GB requirement), so I'm looking for advice. Two options I've considered: making my own image and paring down to just the tools I use the most often, hoping it's under 4GB, or installing a 16GB SD card I have and moving everything but /boot, /sys, and maybe /lib and /usr over there. Any thoughts on size, speed, feasibility of all/any of this?

Thanks

2. I'd say go for the larger size. These days, they are so cheap anyways, so it would defiantly be worth the investment in the long run.
    Fact, Science and the Pursuit of Knowledge. Working to secure your networks from threats; Outside and Within.

In which case, which parts of the system would you recommend putting on the SSD?

16 gb ssd on my mini works great, I use 32 gb micro sd for data storage and downloads

Get a Sandisk extreme 8 or 16 gb. Then just install and run off of the SD card entirely. Assuming the dell can boot SD.

Or consider simply upgrading. http://www.amazon.com/Kingspec-PATA-.../dp/B008KWAV9U

Quote Originally Posted by vityav View Post
    Hello all,
    I've been trying to install Kali on a Dell Mini 9 with a 4GB SSD. It fails a normal installation (I assume because of the 8GB requirement), so I'm looking for advice. Two options I've considered: making my own image and paring down to just the tools I use the most often, hoping it's under 4GB, or installing a 16GB SD card I have and moving everything but /boot, /sys, and maybe /lib and /usr over there. Any thoughts on size, speed, feasibility of all/any of this?

Thanks
    I strongly suggest 2 things:
    1. get a larger SSD (16gb)
    2. You might end up having installation issues if you have the /usr in a separate partition. Just /, /home and swap. I've seen it here.
    /tmp? No need, every boot it gets cleaned...The /var?...Just keep the "dpkg warehouse" clean (aptitude clean and autoclean) from time to time, it will stop from growing.

The SD card I have is 16GB, so I could run off it entirely, but I would like some of the SSD speed. The computer itself was free but pretty heavily used, and I don't even know if it will still be running in a week to justify getting a new SSD for it. I'll give it a shot with the SD card this weekend to try out various configurations and report back.

It appears to run just fine with /usr and /home on the SD card and everything else on the SSD. /usr alone takes up over 7GB of space, so I didn't have any choice but to put it on the SD card anyway. I haven't had much chance to play around with it, but it's definitely up and running. Thanks for all the advice.

Why would anyone bother with a 4GB USB? It costs $12-$15 for a 16GB flash disk these days....

Quote Originally Posted by muffinman View Post
    Why would anyone bother with a 4GB USB? It costs $12-$15 for a 16GB flash disk these days....
    4GB SSD, not USB.