Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: VMWare Tools in a Kali Guest

when you install make sure that you set up the mirror
    also i tried the open-vm-tools worked like it should altough i did not get auto screen resizing also of not it changed the package set that it installed to "open-vm-toolbox"

after trying again with a fresh vmware install with the graphical install i was able to install the mirror i tried first time with text install i guess it didnt pull a ip cus i got a couldnt read mirror it does a check of it

i would go with the vmware tools install just copy and paste each line as there are in the page ref'ed in the first post

I tried downloading from the official repository of open vm and when i do ./configure this is what I get.

root@kali:/open-vm-tools-9.0.0-782409# ./configure
    checking build system type... x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu
    checking host system type... x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu
    configure: error: Can't find include dir under /lib/modules/3.7-trunk-amd64
    root@kali:/open-vm-tools-9.0.0-782409#

I can't install native vmware tools either as it says

The path "" is not a valid path to the 3.7-trunk-amd64 kernel headers.
    Would you like to change it? [yes]

I am trying to run kali on vmware fusion in mac.

Could anyone point me to the right direction please.

Super Moderator
    So I know this is not a final fix, I still get perl parsing issue and it states install aborted, but it all works even with the issues. I have mouse and monitor integration as well as folder sharing with the host system

http://askubuntu.com/questions/23187...x-headers-path

Once I added the link it worked. Just make sure you change the paths to your kernel version.

Quote Originally Posted by pirat View Post
    just installed the vmwaretools and the main problem was the path of kernel and some other errors
    Please can you provide more details of your solution and what you got over the installation process as errors and how they have been pass out?

Thanks.

Super Moderator
    So here is the exact command I used for 64 Bit install:

ln -s /usr/src/linux-headers-3.7-trunk-amd64/include/generated/uapi/linux/version.h /usr/src/linux-headers-3.7-trunk-amd64/include/linux/version.h

Now I still received parsing errors, however the tools compiled and function. I now have screen & mouse integration as well as folder sharing.

I received errors stating the vmware tools couldn't be started as well as perl parsing errors throughout the script.

But in the end it seems to be function now as expected.

Quote Originally Posted by brav0hax View Post
    So here is the exact command I used for 64 Bit install:

ln -s /usr/src/linux-headers-3.7-trunk-amd64/include/generated/uapi/linux/version.h /usr/src/linux-headers-3.7-trunk-amd64/include/linux/version.h

Now I still received parsing errors, however the tools compiled and function. I now have screen & mouse

integration as well as folder sharing.

I received errors stating the vmware tools couldn't be started as well as perl parsing errors throughout the script.

But in the end it seems to be function now as expected.
    im just wondering if you even read the how to install vmware from the documentation

in the very first box for installing vmware from source is

echo cups enabled >> /usr/sbin/update-rc.d
    echo vmware-tools enabled >> /usr/sbin/update-rc.d

apt-get install gcc make linux-headers-$(uname -r)
    ln -s /usr/src/linux-headers-$(uname -r)/include/generated/uapi/linux/version.h /usr/src/linux-headers-$(uname -r)/include/linux/

as you can see it tells you to download the headers with the apt-get command and tells it which headers to get get with the "(uname -r)" command

then it adds the same link in the path
    "ln -s /usr/src/linux-headers-$(uname -r)/include/generated/uapi/linux/version.h /usr/src/linux-headers-$(uname -r)/include/linux/"

the uname being your version of headers aka x86 or x64

the reason behind the documentations telling you to use the variable of "$(uname -r)" is so that the same guy that is running the x86 wont go and try to use your link which is for the x64

also you would not have the problem of not having headers if you read the installing vmware tools 3rd line down first box

"apt-get install gcc make linux-headers-$(uname -r)"
    which is right before

ln -s /usr/src/linux-headers-$(uname -r)/include/generated/uapi/linux/version.h /usr/src/linux-headers-$(uname -r)/include/linux/

again goto the first post and read the installing vmware

I found this link helpful. If you have the VMware tools already mounted to the cdrom, start at number 6 and work your way down.

http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/mic...rnalId=1018414

After opening the VM build in VMware Player 5, VMware Player automatically installed the tools into the build. On-the-fly resizing and Unity both work great.

Super Moderator
    The actual link item was not on the page originally it was added after the fact

So anyone who looked at it say last night, that one line wasn't there.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bolexxx View Post
    If you have installed Kali in the virtual environment as a Guest machine, you may want to install VM tools to enhance the performance of your VM machine.

To read the full document, check our VMWare Tools in a Kali Guest article.

If you have any issues with this procedure, please post them in this thread.
    The referenced article suggests "apt-get install open-vm-tools" as the easiest approach. But you will get more mileage if you do: "apt-get install open-vm-tools open-vm-toolbox"
    open-vm-toolbox comes up as a suggested module, but it should be required IMHO.