Thread: Pine phone pro packet injection, monitor mode, and external wireless adapters

Question Pine phone pro packet injection, monitor mode, and external wireless adapters

I'm new to pine64 I recently purchased a pine phone pro and have mobian on internal flash storage and Kali Nethunter Pro on an SD card. Everything seems to be working fine minus a few tools but I know there are likely a few wrinkles that need to be ironed out software wise. The one thing I'm kinda bummed about is I can't seem to get monitor mode and packet injection working on my internal wireless card I've read that they're working on the original pine phone but I can't seem to find any info on the subject for the pro model. Also I can't get any external wireless adapters to work either it shows that they are being read in the kernel via dmesg and lsusb but they don't show up as devices when I use iwconfig so I'm kinda confused as to why they aren't working. Am I doing something wrong or am I missing something? My external wireless adapter is Ralink rt2870/rt3070. If anyone more experienced with these devices could point me in the right direction it would be much appreciated thank you! Happy new year!

You need to add the firmware;

https://wiki.debian.org/rt2800usb

Quote Originally Posted by Fred Sheehan View Post
    You need to add the firmware;

https://wiki.debian.org/rt2800usb
    You did not test this did you ?
    Otherwise you would have known this does not work on the Pinephone Pro with Nethunter...

It sounds like you're having trouble getting monitor mode and packet injection working on your PinePhone Pro's internal wireless card, as well as on an external Ralink wireless adapter. This can be a common issue with Linux systems, and it's possible that there may be compatibility issues with your specific hardware and the drivers available for your operating system.

First, I would recommend checking to make sure that your operating system and wireless card drivers are up-to-date. You may also want to try using a different Linux distribution to see if it provides better compatibility with your hardware.

Another thing to check is whether the specific tools you're using support monitor mode and packet injection on your hardware. Some tools may require specific drivers or hardware features in order to function properly.

As for your external wireless adapter not showing up as a device when using iwconfig, it's possible that the device is not being properly recognized by the operating system or that the necessary drivers are not installed. You may want to try manually loading the drivers or installing them from a third-party source.

Any updates on if you found a solution OP? I have the same problem.