Thread: Installation Dependency Conflict 2022.1 installer ISO

Installation Dependency Conflict 2022.1 installer ISO

Hello, I am new to Kali but know more than enough about the various Linux distro's to know that I do not know much of anything in truth.

The core issue is that a fresh/clean install using the kali-linux-2022.1-installer-amd64.iso completes at a blank screen and blinking cursor.

Using CTL + ALT + F3 to obtain TTY access there was a running instance to log into and examine logs. /var/log/messages indicated ?lightdm? failed due to there not being a /var/lib/lightdm/data directory.

lightdm[468]: Could not enumerate user data directory /var/lib/lightdm/data: Error opening directory '/v
    ar/lib/lightdm/data': No such file or directory

A remediation attempt via purging and installing lightdm still had the missing /var/lib/lightdm/data directory. Manually creating the missing directory eliminated the lightdm missing directory error yet booting still resulted in a blank screen with blinking cursor. The logs now contained about a missing service regarding users and accounts.

lightdm[472]: Error getting user list from org.freedesktop.Accounts: GDBus.Errorrg.freedesktop.DBus.Er
    ror.ServiceUnknown: The name org.freedesktop.Accounts was not provided by any .service files

The dpkg utility indicated the package ?accountsservice? was not installed.

# dpkg -s accountsservice
    dpkg-query: package ?accountsservice? is not installed and no information is available

My next step was to attempt installing the accountsservice package:

# apt install accountsservice
    Reading package lists...
    Building dependency tree...
    Reading state information...
    Some packages could not be installed. This may mean that you have
    requested an impossible situation or if you are using the unstable
    distribution that some required packages have not yet been created
    or been moved out of Incoming.
    The following information may help to resolve the situation:

The following packages have unmet dependencies:
    libc6-dev : Breaks: binutils (< 2.38) but 2.37-10.1 is to be installed

The following packages have unmet dependencies:
    libc6-dev : Breaks: binutils (< 2.38) but 2.37-10.1 is to be installed

At this current juncture it seemed like a good place to stop since any next steps I have thought of to date, I believe, put me in the land of squirreling around aimlessly trying to get something to stick which probably won?t end well??

In summary, I believe, the underlying issue is a dependency conflict. While it may not look like it on the surface I also *think* it is hardware related as the same ISO install image results in a successful Kali install when installed into a KVM based virtual machine.
    While in my searching the forum, google, and several alternate distribution forums the closest I can find are about Kali installs resulting in a blank screen with a blinking cursor however those cases all seemed to have a different source, even the one case which had the same initial observation about the missing lightdm directory.

I thought I would seek assistance in this forums if for no other reason than perhaps Hints and Prayers. That said, any assistance would be greatly appreciated?

PRETTY_NAME="Kali GNU/Linux Rolling"
    NAME="Kali GNU/Linux"
    ID=kali
    VERSION="2022.1"
    VERSION_ID="2022.1"
    VERSION_CODENAME="kali-rolling"
    ID_LIKE=debian

Hardware:

Dell Latitude 2110 Netbook

Intel Atom D510, 1.66GHz

If you've already reinstalled lightDM then you just need to reconfig it;

sudo dpkg-reconfigure lightdm

Thank you Fred. I did as you suggested but it seems as though I am still where I was in that lightdm is dies still reporting "Accounts was not provided by any .service files"

When I chased that down previously I came to think it was because the package ACCOUNTSSERVICE was missing.... and subsequent attempts to install it fail with the message on the libc6 conflict.

It is so odd particularly as there were no issues when I did the Kali installation on qemu VM, not to mention that I do not see anyone else having the issue. I can only think something with the hardware must require the use of an older lib other such code which is behind a bit. Perhaps that is a place to look. I'm not to familiar with Debian package management but it seems it shouldn't be to difficult figure out how to list all the various packages and compare the list from the physical against that of the VM...... if the number which are different versions isn't to great maybe the one which forced the train off the tracks could be determined.....

Either way thank you very much and if you see where I have erred or have any further suggestions or insight please let me know.

to see whats installed;

apt list --installed

you could make sure your lightdm has the greeter and components installed too;

sudo apt install lightdm-gtk-greeter lightdm-gtk-greeter-settings

that should allow it to be configured..