Thread: Airodump Not Capturing WPA Handshake

Airodump Not Capturing WPA Handshake

I've had success with capturing WPA handshakes in the past and successfully checking them against wordlists with aircrack-ng. Although I am now running into an issue with Airodump not capturing the handshakes after deauthing clients.

Sometimes after running airodump, specifying BSSID and channel it will say WPA handshake : *BSSID* but after checking against wordlist that contains the password that I know should have been captured on that SSID, it does not find the key. I'm assuming there is an issue here as I also have trouble identifying clients in general when running airodump. I may only see one or two clients when there are several known connected.

If I start a deauth against a client I know is connected (even if it is not showing when running airodump) I will see that client pop up in airodump with its lost packets from deauth, but never capture a handshake no matter how many times I try.

I've tried killing processes with airmon-ng check kill before starting.

Also confirmed packet injection working with aireplay-ng -9 wlan0mon

Unsure on next steps of getting this working again, any help appreciated.

Thanks,
    Steve

It's kind of hard to evaluate your current situation but I can only give tips from my own experience.
    You say you don't get handshakes after deauthing. What PWR is it against the bssid? How's the weather? Rainy, snowy? There's a lot of factors involved in getting handshakes but since you already know the password I can only assume it's in your home. If you are too close to the AP you will lose some packets, try getting away a few meters, so don't hug the AP.

Then you have APs who use 5 ghz. As far as I know, you have to specify this in airodump with the --band argument (I believe it's --band a).
    About aircrack and wordlist. I think I did as you, added my own wpa2 password to the list and it didn't find it. I couldn't find out why that is.
    But use Hashcat instead. It's sooooo much better and uses your GPU for calculating plus have tons of rules you can download from the internet (which is basically human patterns in conjunction with a wordlist)

There's also driver issues. Not all network cards can inject packets while monitoring at the same time. Are you sure your network card is supported for this?
    Even if your network card driver is supported, some vendor drivers are buggy (even after all these years) and will work half of the time...

Hi,

I an also having the same issue also.

sudo airodump-ng wlan1
    Code:
     CH 12 ][ Elapsed: 54 s ][ 2023-01-30 05:26                                                                                                                      BSSID              PWR  Beacons    #Data, #/s  CH   MB   ENC CIPHER  AUTH ESSI

BSSID              STATION            PWR   Rate    Lost    Frames  Notes  Pro
    Also reaver and bully does not find the stations

sudo airmon-ng --verbose
    Code:
    Distributor ID: Kali
    Description:    Kali GNU/Linux Rolling
    Release:        2022.4
    Codename:       kali-rolling

Linux kali-raspberry-pi 5.15.44-Re4son-v7l+ #1 SMP Debian kali-pi (2022-07-03) armv7l GNU/Linux
    Regulatory Domain set to 99, see 'iw reg get' for details
    Regulatory Domain set to TR, see 'iw reg get' for details

K indicates driver is from 5.15.44-Re4son-v7l+
    V indicates driver comes directly from the vendor, almost certainly a bad thing
    S indicates driver comes from the staging tree, these drivers are meant for reference not actual use, BEWARE
    ? indicates we do not know where the driver comes from... report this

X[PHY]Interface         Driver[Stack]-FirmwareRev               Chipset        Extended Info
    K[phy0]wlan0            brcmfmac[mac80211]-01-88ee44ea  Broadcom 43430         mode managed
    ?[phy1]wlan1            rtl8821cu[mac80211]-24.8                Realtek Semiconductor Corp. 802.11ac NIC                                        mode monitor