Thread: kali post install alienware m14x r1

kali post install alienware m14x r1

Hi everyone. I just installed Kali on an alienware m14x r1 and noticed that almost everything is working out of the box. I've installed bumblebee and the nvidia drivers to take advantage of the optimus technology. Just wondering what else people had to do for drivers and multi monitor support. I seem to have a slight issue with the trackpad not reading two finger scrolling and I can't seem to get my second display to work. Any nudges in the right direction would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

If you want to get two finger scrolling working, I had success with the following method:

Go to Applications >> System Tools >> Add/Remove Software (package manager)
    You want to search and install a package called 'synaptik'

Once you've done that, go into Applications >> System Tools >> Preferences >> System Settings
    Find the 'Mouse and Touchpad' icon and select it. Here you should notice a new tab has arrived called touchpad whereas previously there was only 'Mouse'.

Select the options you need for 'Enable mouse clicks with touchpad' and 'Two finger scrolling'

This works on my Alienware M14XR2

Sorry to revive and old threat, but my m14x r2 will be here next week. I was wondering if anyone has had any luck operating just on Kali or if there are more people that are dual booting Win7 to get the most functionality of out their alienware.

Quote Originally Posted by mrcriter View Post
    Sorry to revive and old threat, but my m14x r2 will be here next week. I was wondering if anyone has had any luck operating just on Kali or if there are more people that are dual booting Win7 to get the most functionality of out their alienware.
    Yes, have been running solely on Kali since I bought it, however, you can only edit your color options in windows so you should set up your color scheme first before nuking that Microshit.
    I have played around with several different setups, though, and the best setup for penetration testing it to have windows remain as you primary system, have a dedicated Kali on a USB flash drive persistent and a version in VMware as well.
    There are still too many good tools out there that run on Windows and that don't work in a VM.

My 2c anyway.

This method worked Great for me...except one caveat. The scrolling is reverse from what I'm used to. Some touchpad configurations I've seen allow the option to reverse the scrolling direction, but this one doesn't seem to. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.