Hello.

I am new to Kali but I have some small experience with debian/ubuntu VPS servers.

I installed kali on USB, followed intructions to get encrypted persistence. Then I realised it kept auto-logging in, even though I made a different user. All attempts at following other people's recommendations failed so I deleted the kali user which seems to have solved it to username and password is required at bootup.

I now noticed when I try and change the background on my desktop by going to the desktop settings dialogue, there are no backgrounds. I even manually selected a folder in my own profile folder and still the image I put in there does not show up.

I am wondering if I broke something? I was able to right click the file and set it as wallpaper from there, but I am really concerned that something is wrong. If I log out and log in as root, the settings come up and I can select both backgrounds from the default folder and also my real account's folder if I select it.

I tried doing chown on the default background folder to my name and still shows nothing when I am logged in on my account.

Does anyone know what the issue may be and whether I have broken something? All I have done is the above and basic apt-get update and apt-get upgrade. I have not done anything else yet.

Thanks