Thread: "Kali" duration Persistence Live USB install possible?

"Kali" duration Persistence Live USB install possible?

Hello,

Is it possible kali as persistent USB try installing with full disk encryption to be used on another computer system, with the possibility to maintain, install packages. (like a standart Full-Disk-Encryption on Harddisk)

Hello duck-duck,

I hope I doesn't got you wrong. If I understand, you would like to use Kali with full disk encryption, through a USB Stick.
    That's exactly what I do since long... Using a USB Stick with BT/Kali/etc. like a normal Harddisk.

Therefore, you just need to boot through a liveDVD (or liveUSB) and use the normal "Install / Graphic Install" method.
    You then just have to select the USB drive as installation destination (as you would do with the Harddisk install).
    Works like a charm!

Best

3. Hi duck-duck. Yes it is possible and should be fairly easy to implement disk encryption as well. I can imagine doing this several ways, one way we will need two USBs. One for a Live USB, and the other to make a Live USB with Encryption.. (Though I'm sure there is a better way to do this, I would love others to chime in this as well
    First go ahead and make your live USB, and then use the install to another USB where you would want to make it encrypted. Choose the LVM FUll disk encryption and then choose your 2nd USB that you would like Kali to be installed to. I believe that will do what you want.

However, if you only have one USB to work with then you might need to do it like the following;
    For making your Live Persistence USB follow this guide.
    http://docs.kali.org/installation/ka...ve-usb-install

You then might have to migrate the to a new partition into another encrypted partition?
    I have to research it a bit to be honest.

Another question I would like to pose is why is it suggested to use the new USB installation method as opposed to Unetbootin, which has the option to add persistence automatically?

no, I meant a "persitence Live USB" with with full disk encryption not install. install goes I've already done on the pc.
    That i can take my 32bit Perstistent usb, so I enabled it on every USB device (computer) can use.
    can add extensions and still.
    as an expandable stretcher live iso, only encrypted.

hope that was explained better,
    my english is not the best

Hi duck-duck,
    That was exactly what I was talking about.
    I use a 32GB Pen, on which I installed Kali, on any PC I want.
    It's fast, stable and above all persistant.

You can also use "USB Universal Installer" and allocate some space for persistance (a very limited space).
    Forget this second option and use the first (I also describe in a previouse post).
    Charonsecurity also pointed this out very well.

Sorry if I'm still misunderstanding you.

Best,

thank you, I had misunderstood.
    my english not the best.
    ok will try it.

One thing...
    I'm deciding on the best method myself for using a USB SD. 'Live CD' with persistent or an actual install onto the SD.
    Should I do persistent live CD mode versus an actual install onto a SD ?
    I know that constant writes like a drive to an SD will kill it sooner. I wanted install it so that way I could have the latest and greatest system updates.

I have both and will test boot times.. it seems that for some reason the install on SD version is slower. Also will need to turn off swapdrive/cach writes if it is doing it on the SD and use Ram instead.

Anyone can respond on that... Thanks

I keep on having a problem with encrypting and separating the partitions during install.
    I first tried a 8GB stick to install Kali, I ran the install and selected LVM with encryption on the next part I had to pick whether to keep /tmp, /boot... together, I picked split them into different partitions. The erasing when past without any problems but during the system install I keep on facing errors.
    I then tried a 16GB stick and still had the same problem.
    Now I am going to try the install with just encryption and not to separate the partitions, I am waiting for it to finish install and I will let you guys know. If it works I am going to report this problem to [email protected].

Link to instructions for persistent encrypted USB and GRUB installation fix

Instructions for a live, persistent, encrypted usb drive installation are here: http://docs.kali.org/installation/ka...d-disk-install

I followed that step by step with great results *except*: the way I installed grub, I now have to have my usb drive in the computer to boot to either Windows on my hard drive or Kali Linux on the usb. In other words, now I can't boot my computer without the usb drive. Without the drive, my computer goes into grub rescue mode. (Different issue from thread, but beware.)

EDIT: Fixed the GRUB install problem with help from this thread: http://forums.kali.org/showthread.ph...=4132#post4132
    Last edited by CoachBug; 2013-04-16 at 22:28. Reason: Update with solution