Thread: Disk confusions while Dual booting Kali Linux with windows

Disk confusions while Dual booting Kali Linux with windows

I've been trying to install the Kali Linux but the disk partition is different then the way it's showing in the windows.

SUSI1 (0,0,0) (sda) 1.8 TB ATA

#1 primary 1.0 MB
    #2 primary 524.3 MB B NTFS
    #3 primary 261.6 GB NTFS
    #4 primary 738.1 GB

And my disk type is dynamic. But it's not showing the whole disk as one, so I'm in confusion from where this partition are showing. And which should I pick in order to not lose any data and OS?

1 MB is for EFI spec unformatted
    2nd is for your 'windows recovery partition' i.e. a WIM that is used if you reset your device to factory, or repair your windows install
    3 I'm guessing thats your Windows drive? as its NTFS formatted
    4th is a primary partition, no file system, I'm guessing this is the one you created for Kali?

Kali doesn't need that much, even an 'everything' install is typically under 60 GB so 100 GB allows for anything you may want to do with it..

As your confused with the basics of disk partitioning, I would suggest you run Kali in a Virtual Machine such as WSL (Windows Subsystem for Linux), Virtual Box, or VMWare

You will find links for all of these on the main Kali page. This is the safest way for you to try Kali without breaking your Windows install!