Thread: Issues adding a deb file to the live image

Angry Issues adding a deb file to the live image

Good Evening all,

I'm trying to build a custom ISO/Live disk by following the documentation here https://www.kali.org/docs/developmen...stom-kali-iso/

This works fine for a standard image and also if I edit the package lists so all good there. The issue I have is I'm trying to include Nessus in an image but it does not seem to work.

I created the following folder structure:

┌──(root㉿kali-build)-[/home/live-build-config/kali-config]
    └─# tree variant-tvm
    variant-tvm
    ├── hooks
    │ └── live
    │ └── remove-bloat-from-recommended-packages.chroot
    ├── package-lists
    │ └── kali.list.chroot
    └── packages.chroot
    └── nessus.deb

(the variant-tvm is a exact copy of the variant-xfc4 folder)

When I first tried this I got an error that the Nessus package was not compliant so I have since repackaged it as per this

https://gist.github.com/kafkaesqu3/8...679222edc464ac

However when i run

./build.sh --variant=tvm --verbose

it compiles etc fine and I don't see any errors but when booting the image to the live image Nessus has not been installed.

Maybe I'm doing something wrong? I followed this https://www.kali.org/docs/developmen...ng-live-build/ specifically 0x06 where it shows how to add the package.

Can someone please help? been bagging my head against the wall trying to make this work for 3 days. I can see that the package does get copied to the config/packages folder when i run the build script.

Thanks in advance, and if I'm doing something stupid then do feel free to point it out

Based on the information you provided, it seems like you're on the right track, but there might be a few things you can double-check to ensure that Nessus is included properly:

Verify the package name: Make sure that the package name you're using in your package list (kali.list.chroot) matches the actual package name of Nessus. It's possible that the package name might be different from what you expect.

Check the package version: Ensure that the Nessus package you have is compatible with the version of Kali Linux you're using. If there's a mismatch in package versions, it could cause issues during the installation process.

Confirm the package location: Ensure that the nessus.deb file is placed in the correct location within the packages.chroot directory. Double-check the path to the file and verify that it matches the path mentioned in your package list file.

Check the build logs: After running the build.sh script, review the build logs to see if there are any error messages or warnings related to the Nessus package. The logs might provide more insight into why the package is not being installed.

Verify the installation process: Once you boot into the live image, you can check if the Nessus package is present on the system. Open a terminal and try running the following command to see if the package is installed:

perl
    Copy code
    dpkg -l | grep nessus
    If the package is listed, it means it was successfully installed. If not, there might be an issue with the package inclusion process.

By going through these steps, you should be able to narrow down the potential issues and troubleshoot the problem with including Nessus in your custom Kali Linux ISO.
    Rahul