Thread: Kali Linux reboot/shutdown issues (Nvidia/Noveau)

Kali Linux reboot/shutdown issues (Nvidia/Noveau)

Greetings! Everyone,
    Being a Cyber Security student, Kali Linux plays a crucial role in my day-to-day life. So I decided to single boot Kali Linux as my only OS (bare-metal). I went for the 64-bit Installer which was recommended. Installation was easy, Kali Linux runs super stable and smooth in my system and it's apps as well. But, I'm suffering from these two specific issues since the first installation:

1. I can neither reboot nor can shutdown my system. If I attempt so, it gets frozen and stucked in the black Dragon logo screen and no matter how long i wait it just stay frozen. All i can do is force shutdown my system. Again, once i boot up it runs normal and smoothly but each time i try to restart or shutdown this issue occurs.
    2. i couldn't find any particular way to switch from my AMD to Nvidia GPU. Even though I installed the latest nvidia driver(v525.).

I seek urgent help and I'm totally depressed because of the issues addressed above. Please community, any help would be massively appreciated. Thank You.

My system: Ryzen 7 4800H, Nvidia Rtx 3050 Ti mobile, 16GB Ram and 1TB SSD (Asus Rog Strix G153iE).

Nvidia drivers when its the discreet card and you have a lower powered on board GPU can be configured this way;
    https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/NVIDIA_Optimus

The start up shutdown issue is nornally caused by 'watchdog' process which is not needed on a system you can physically reboot, its designed for remote servers to keep them 'up', now it 'might' go away once you sort the GPU issue, or you might have to do this;

watchdog error - edit;
    /etc/sysctl.conf

add;
    kernel.nmi_watchdog=0

To disable watchdog timers (both software and hardware), append nowatchdog to your boot parameters.

sudo nano /etc/default/grub

add nowatchdog to the kernel line like so:

GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet nowatchdog"

save file, then rebuild grub

rebuild grub.cfg:
sudo grub-mkconfig -o /boot/grub/grub.cfg
reboot