Thread: Sucessfully installed Kali 1.0.2, but incomplete GUI

Cool Sucessfully installed Kali 1.0.2, but incomplete GUI

Hi all,

Today I've successfully installed Kali 1.0.2 Gnome AMD64 (multi-os) on my Dell Studio laptop, but on start-up when the GUI shows up, all I see is Kali's background with the arrow of the mouse - no panels, no menus, no icons. Yet I'm able to switch TTYs easily.

I'm pretty sure the install went well, but something's missing. Any help will be very much appreciated. Meanwhile I'll keep looking for a solution. Thank you!

Hi, I have the same issue installing the AMD64 version, kali-linux-1.0.2-amd64.iso, in VirtualBox 4.2.10. The installs completes without any issues but when the system boots I get the Kali background but no prompt to login.

I increased the vCPU's to 2 and then i was able to login.

Quote Originally Posted by Fastjack View Post
    Hi all,

Today I've successfully installed Kali 1.0.2 Gnome AMD64 (multi-os) on my Dell Studio laptop, but on start-up when the GUI shows up, all I see is Kali's background with the arrow of the mouse - no panels, no menus, no icons. Yet I'm able to switch TTYs easily.

I'm pretty sure the install went well, but something's missing. Any help will be very much appreciated. Meanwhile I'll keep looking for a solution. Thank you!

I am not sure this is the issue, but how much harddrive space did you give the VM?

Please refer to this post: http://forums.kali.org/showthread.ph...in-Virtual-Box

Thx Brav0hax,

This post is where i found the comment re: vCPU's

http://forums.kali.org/showthread.ph...ght=virtualbox.

this corrected the issue i was having of only seeing the background but no prompt to login.

Same issue, 64bit Kali 1.0.2 on VMware Workstation 9.0.2. Background and mouse visible but no login prompt. As suggested above moving from a single vCPU to 2 seems to correct it.

Quote Originally Posted by Fastjack View Post
    Hi all,

Are you using VM install?..Need to post complete info.

successful virtual box kali on dell inspiron 17r windows 8.. run v box with windows 7 compatibility , Linux, debian 64, give sufficient virtual ram and hdd space... only thing is I haven't got around using fern wifi inside v box.. any one?