Results 1 to 15 of 15

Thread: Installing vmware 9 into kali Linux

  1. #1
    Join Date
    2013-Mar
    Posts
    31

    Installing vmware 9 into kali Linux

    Hi,

    I'm trying to get working vmware workstation 9 into Kali but no luck though. It asks again and again for Kernel Headers 3.7-trunk-amd64. It needs that to compile his own modules into kernel.

    What I've already done:

    1. I've downloaded and unpacked the kernel-sources 3.7.

    2. I've tried to point vmware out to the /usr/src/linux-source-3.7 location.

    Any ideas from this point further?

    Thanks much,

    -J

  2. #2
    Join Date
    2013-Mar
    Posts
    31

    [SOLVED] : Installing vmware 9 into kali Linux

    Guys,

    I've succesed. Here are the stepts:

    1. Use the Kali linux sources fix

    2. Do a apt-get update && apt-get dist-upgrade && apt-get install linux-headers

    3. You also have to copy the version.h which is located in /lib/modules/3.7-trunk-amd64/build/include/generated/uapi/linux/ to /lib/modules/3.7-trunk-amd64/build/include/linux.

    4. From this point you can install the vmware 9 for linux and launch it. Once it starts it will compile automatically his modules and voila, job done.

    Good luck

  3. #3
    Join Date
    2013-Mar
    Posts
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by Amidamaru View Post
    Guys,

    I've succesed. Here are the stepts:

    1. Use the Kali linux sources fix

    2. Do a apt-get update && apt-get dist-upgrade && apt-get install linux-headers

    3. You also have to copy the version.h which is located in /lib/modules/3.7-trunk-amd64/build/include/generated/uapi/linux/ to /lib/modules/3.7-trunk-amd64/build/include/linux.

    4. From this point you can install the vmware 9 for linux and launch it. Once it starts it will compile automatically his modules and voila, job done.

    Good luck
    I tried the above but only apt update seems to pull any new packages. Dist-upgrade doesn't seem to pull any packages while linux-headers can't find the location. Is apt-get install linux-headers correct? I also don't have a build/include/generated/uapi/linux directory but I'm assuming this is due to my issue with the linux-headers.

    Any ideas?

  4. #4
    Join Date
    2013-Mar
    Posts
    57
    Thank you for your guide! working like a charm

  5. #5
    Join Date
    2013-Mar
    Posts
    31
    Quote Originally Posted by Fr0st View Post
    I tried the above but only apt update seems to pull any new packages. Dist-upgrade doesn't seem to pull any packages while linux-headers can't find the location. Is apt-get install linux-headers correct? I also don't have a build/include/generated/uapi/linux directory but I'm assuming this is due to my issue with the linux-headers.

    Any ideas?
    Did you fix yours Kali repos?

    if Not check this out: http://docs.kali.org/frequently-asked-questions

    However reading additional resources my sources.list file looks like that:

    deb [arch=i386,amd64,armel,armhf] http://http.kali.org/kali kali-dev main contrib non-free
    deb [arch=i386,amd64,armel,armhf] http://http.kali.org/kali kali-dev main/debian-installer
    deb-src http://http.kali.org/kali kali-dev main contrib non-free

    deb [arch=i386,amd64,armel,armhf] http://http.kali.org/kali kali main contrib non-free
    deb [arch=i386,amd64,armel,armhf] http://http.kali.org/kali kali main/debian-installer
    deb-src http://http.kali.org/kali kali main contrib non-free

    deb [arch=i386,amd64,armel,armhf] http://security.kali.org/kali-security kali/updates main contrib non-free
    deb-src http://security.kali.org/kali-security kali/updates main contrib non-free
    Last edited by Amidamaru; 2013-03-18 at 13:18.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    2013-Mar
    Posts
    2

    [Solved] needed to alter

    Quote Originally Posted by Amidamaru View Post
    Did you fix yours Kali repos?

    if Not check this out: http://docs.kali.org/frequently-asked-questions

    However reading additional resources my sources.list file looks like that:

    deb [arch=i386,amd64,armel,armhf] http://http.kali.org/kali kali-dev main contrib non-free
    deb [arch=i386,amd64,armel,armhf] http://http.kali.org/kali kali-dev main/debian-installer
    deb-src http://http.kali.org/kali kali-dev main contrib non-free

    deb [arch=i386,amd64,armel,armhf] http://http.kali.org/kali kali main contrib non-free
    deb [arch=i386,amd64,armel,armhf] http://http.kali.org/kali kali main/debian-installer
    deb-src http://http.kali.org/kali kali main contrib non-free

    deb [arch=i386,amd64,armel,armhf] http://security.kali.org/kali-security kali/updates main contrib non-free
    deb-src http://security.kali.org/kali-security kali/updates main contrib non-free
    I was able to fix my issue, before I installed VMware Workstation, I did the following:

    1. echo cups enabled >> /usr/sbin/update-rc.d
    2. echo vmware-tools enabled >> /usr/sbin/update-rc.d
    3. apt-get install gcc make linux-headers-$(uname -r)

  7. #7
    Join Date
    2013-Mar
    Posts
    1
    Guys!
    I got some issues. I have already installed the linux-headers-(uname -r),and the vmware-workstation. But i can't open any virtual machine. the vmware-workstation will not launched at all. It just got into black screen and I can just use alt+ctrl+f7 to get back into my desktop .........any ideas?

  8. #8
    Join Date
    2013-Mar
    Posts
    2
    Add the following repositories in /etc/apt/sources.list

    deb http://http.kali.org/kali kali main contrib non-free
    deb-src http://http.kali.org/kali kali main contrib non-free
    deb http://security.kali.org/kali-security kali/updates main contrib non-free
    deb-src http://security.kali.org/kali-security kali/updates main contrib non-free

  9. #9
    Join Date
    2013-Mar
    Posts
    1
    Even after doing all the things in this thread I had to create the links Zhe mentions in this thread http://askubuntu.com/questions/40979...install-vmware

  10. #10
    Join Date
    2013-Mar
    Posts
    1
    Thank you Amidamaru, your solution worked perfectly.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    2013-May
    Posts
    7
    good, thanks!

  12. #12
    Join Date
    2013-Jul
    Posts
    1
    Hello

    When you get error "kernel headers 3.7-trunk-amd64 were not found" on Kali Linux when install VMWare 9.0.1. Put this command in terminal...

    Code:
    ln -s /usr/src/linux-headers-3.7-trunk-amd64/include/generated/uapi/linux/version.h /usr/src/linux-headers-3.7-trunk-amd64/include/linux/version.h
    then open VMWare Workstation again.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    2013-Oct
    Posts
    1
    Awesome man! works like a charm! thanks a lot

  14. #14
    Join Date
    2014-Feb
    Posts
    5
    Sharing my experience so others won't spend days troubleshooting...

    I had similar issues when installing VMWare Workstation VMware-Workstation-Full-9.0.0-812388.x86_64 on Linux kali 3.12-kali1-amd64 #1 SMP Debian 3.12.6-2kali1 (2014-01-06) x86_64 GNU/Linux.

    I initially had the missing package issue which I solved by adding one more deb-src line to the repository /etc/apt/sources.list.
    Then I bumped into kernel header issue which I worked around by linking version.h.
    After that, the installation completed by launching the Workstation cannot go through due to fail to build vmblock, vmci, and vmnet. I was stuck here.

    I had a feeling that VMware Workstation 9.0 was released prior to Kali thus some missing files. So I figured -- might as well use the latest version of VMware.
    I uninstalled VMware Workstation 9.0 and installed VMware-Workstation-Full-10.0.1-1379776.x86_64.
    To my delight, NO problem at all!
    Now I'm running my GUEST OS'es W2K8R2 imported from my VMware Workstation 8 for Windows. Also created a new GUEST OS for DSL! Now starts the fun.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    2015-Feb
    Posts
    7
    For Workstation/Player 11 This command worked for me
    apt-get install linux-headers-$(uname -r)

Similar Threads

  1. Problems installing VMWare on Kali Linux
    By DisneyCrack in forum TroubleShooting Archive
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 2015-08-20, 07:16

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •