Thread: NetHunter on Samsung Galaxy Z Fold 3.. black screen when opening GUI, any fix/hope?

NetHunter on Samsung Galaxy Z Fold 3.. black screen when opening GUI, any fix/hope?

All,

Apologies, I'm sure I'll rehash a couple things that have been said before, but I'm kind of at my wit's end here.

Been doing a little research into NetHunter and found out recently I can run it rootless on my Z Fold 3. Got Termux installed, pulled down NH and installed it, went through the apt update/upgrade process, fixed the issue w/ PostgreSQL not being able to update, install is fully updated and NH starts fine when I run it via 'nh', and commands appear to function fine @ the CLI. Kex appears to start properly as well and creates a VNC instance on tcp/5901. When I attempt to connect to that instance via VNC client, I get the black screen that has been mentioned in the past.

I did a little digging around and read the logs being generated under ~/.vnc/kali:1.log' and noticed a lot of errors regarding the inability to launch various processes due to being unable to close file descriptors for child processes, but I'm not sure if this is a red herring of one kind or another. VNC is *definitely* running, and the logs imply a valid connection from the client. When I close the KeX desktop app, it shows a clean disconnect in the logs, it simply doesn't appear to be rendering the desktop.

I've watched multiple videos showing that a rootless install *should* be able to render a GUI to the screen, and the only other real solution that has popped up w/ any regularity was ensuring that the 'xstart' file under ~/.vnc had +x perms associated with it (for shits and giggles, I gave it 777 even thought it already had +x applied, but no joy). I'd love to be able to run this on the larger screen, but I'm kind of at a loss. I'm running Android 13 w/ OneUI v5.1 (not sure if that would cause an issue), and while I saw comments in older posts about Android 12 issues, most of the POC videos showing this working are pretty new, so I have to assume it works in Android 13 in some form or another.

I don't particularly want to have to go get another phone/device specifically to run NH, as it defeats the purpose of having Kali in my pocket in a convenient way. Does anyone have any guidance or suggestions that I might be able to review to try to run down the problem? I've got a lot of familiarity in the RHEL arena, but Debian has been something I've basically tolerated enough to use BackTrack and Kali, so digging deep into the guts of this particular distro is a little more cumbersome for me.

Thanks in advance for any help you can offer, I'll ship a frosty beverage to anyone that can do me a solid here. :-/

Update:

I broke out an old school Galaxy Note8 and factory reset it. From there, I followed the Termux/NetHunter install process used on the Fold, and when I was all done, I was able to get the GUI running on it. The problem definitely appears to be Fold specific, and I can confirm the GUI is available unrooted on another device. There were a smattering of errors listed above in the kali:1.log' file that were similar to what was in the log file for the Fold, but not nearly as many, nor did I see any issues w/ the windows manager starting, so I have to assume it has something to do with the display on these phones?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance once again.