Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Using Kali as main operating system?

i installed kde on it and i'm using it as my main OS, i love it...the reason it's not recommended it's because everything is running under root, but you could just create regular user and use that account for everyday and switch to root for pen testing.

now that i have it customized to my liking i'm loving it everyday more and more
    A goal without a plan is just a wish.

I've been using Linux as my primary OS for 7 years now. I've switched many distributions and now I am using Kali as my primary OS. Although Kali wasn't intended for primary OS but I don't see any issue in using it instead of Ubuntu/Fedora/Arch. I still have my Win7 on dual boot for gaming and lots of VMs (XP, Win7, Win8, Kali, BackTrack, Ubuntu, FreeBSD) for my dirty work.

Welcome all, newbie here.
    I read that Kali is based on Debian. Does it mean that all debian packages (~30k) are avalible on Kali? What repository Kali use? Debian Stable or Testing? I'm asking because I'm considering to use Kali as main OS but Debian Stable has to old packages.
    Thanks

I appreciate everyones responses Good info here. It does run verrrryyyy smooth. Even though i'm using quite outdated hardware :/ Abit Fatal1ty mobo and a amd athlon x64 2.4ghz....runs like a bat out of hades mad props to the Kali developers!

Just install Debian for everyday use and put Kali on a nice usb device so you can hack your bank from your ram.

Im also using Kali on my T60 as Primary OS. Yes its a good System and it shows Developer-work
    Last edited by Medice; 04-16-2013 at 10:29 PM.
    [B]Systems:[/B]
    [COLOR="#FF0000"]1. Lenovo Thinkpad T60 - 3,5 GB DDR2 - 60GB SSD - T2400[/COLOR]: Kali-Linux (x86 HDD) 1.0.2
    [COLOR="#0000FF"]2. Intel Q8200 - 4GB - 500GB SATA2 - ATI Radeon HD6570 Windows 8 Pro MCE[/COLOR]

:D

Yeah... I'm not real keen on running a Pentesting distro as a main OS.. I run it only for its intended purpose. And as for speed, I'd much rather use the Arch system I configured. It's never peaked over 600mb of RAM and I use it for just about everything (gaming and business on my Win7 machine). But hey, that's what works for me.

I made a dual boot set-up with a "normal" user account for everyday use.

I switch between Win7 & Kali by rebooting whenever necessary, but I would like to get to know Kali (and debian for that matter) so I try to stay within the Kali boot as often as possible.

Making a Win7 VM that you access from Kali in VMware is also a nice way.

I know that a lot of people would recommend against using Kali as a main operating system, but if you make a non-root user account and just use common sense while using the OS I really can't see why that would be a problem.

As far as I know, the OS is also somewhat hardened compared to BT. Not starting services at boot if they're not required etc. So if my impression is correct this should be a fairly secure OS.

If you're running into issues with some programs not wanting to run as root try the following:

#useradd derp
    #passwd derp (follow instructions to set the password for user "derp")

add derp to the /etc/sudoers file:

#leafpad /etc/sudoers

...you should see something like:

# User privilege specification
    root ALL=(ALL:ALL) ALL
    derp ALL=(ALL:ALL)ALL <---ADD THAT AND SAVE THE FILE!

now to run other programs while logged in as root in Kali just do thus:

#sudo -U derp -l <program-name-that-doesn't-need-X-server-to-run> (use this method for services like tor

if you have something like firefox or torbrowser that needs X server for a pretty GUI use this method:

#xhost +SI:localuser:derp (this gives derp access to connect to X server)

#su derp (manuver with derp as the user)

$firefox (runs firefox as derp in the curren X environment)

Good Luck, and Have fun
    Last edited by edw00rd; 04-29-2013 at 01:56 PM.

Well I just installed it yesterday and it works perfectly as a main operating system. I use the GNOME version and installed KDE in case I want to use it. Since it uses aptitude and apt-get I've been able to install all the packages I had on Ubuntu such as docky which I'd be lost without, Google Chrome and Minecraft. I could also install Code::Blocks and it comes with a python interpreter so I could use it daily with no problem.