Thread: Kali on Chromebook

Kali on Chromebook

Hi,
    I've tried all the guides and read all the forum topics to get Kali on a Chromebook but it still doesn't work.
    The Chromebook is a Samsung XE500C21.
    Ive put my BIOS in dev mode, copied the img to a sdcard with dd, repaired with cgpt.
    At the "sad face screen" OS verification is turned off I hit CTRL+U.
    After a couple of seconds I get a new screen with the message "The device you inserted does not contain Chrome OS."

Tried other sd cards, USB sticks even tried win32diskimager to write the img file to the sd card or USB stick. Nothing worked, keep getting the same screen.
    Any suggestions?

The XE500C21 has an Intel Atom processor. I think, the image you're trying to use was made for an ARM processor. I'm not sure if there is a x86 image that will work with your Chromebook or not, but I'm sure the ARM version will not work. Sorry if this is no help, but at least you know why it doesn't work.

Quote Originally Posted by blksun813 View Post
    The XE500C21 has an Intel Atom processor. I think, the image you're trying to use was made for an ARM processor. I'm not sure if there is a x86 image that will work with your Chromebook or not, but I'm sure the ARM version will not work. Sorry if this is no help, but at least you know why it doesn't work.
    There are so many chromebooks out there. I was hoping they would list a specific model number that it works with. I'm looking at a XE303C12 XE303C12 and it says it has an Exynos 5250 processor which is supposedly by Samsung and also an ARM? I'm confused. Also I prefer a Samsung because it will boot off of SD card or USB as opposed to the HP which only boots off USB. I wonder how hard it would be to build a version for the XE500C21

If the XE500C21 is x86 based, then it shouldn't be too difficult to build, but that's definitely not ARM related, you probably want to try a different forum subgroup

This what I did, and i Got it to work

http://grephaxs.com/chromebook-insta...-with-crouton/