Thread: Need Help Installing Kali Linux on USB Drive

Need Help Installing Kali Linux on USB Drive

Hello everyone,
    I hope you're doing well. I'm currently attempting to install Kali Linux onto a USB drive using the installer image. However, I've encountered a persistent issue during the installation process that prevents the creation of partitions. I've exhausted my troubleshooting efforts and would greatly appreciate your assistance in resolving this matter.

Here are the relevant details regarding my setup:

USB Drive:
    Model: Xiaomi USB 3.0 Pen Drive 2TB Flash Drives Portable SSD Memory Computer Transmission USB Flash Disk
    Laptop:
    Model: HP 255 G9 Notebook
    Processor: AMD Ryzen 3 5425U with Radeon Graphics (2.70 GHz)
    RAM: 8.00 GB
    Kali Linux ISO Image:
    Version: Kali complete offline installation with customization
    Rufus:
    I've attempted various combinations of data systems using Rufus, including all available options.
    UEFI Configuration:
    I've checked my UEFI settings, and it appears that there are no secure keys in the bin. As a result, I assume that my secure boot is disabled.

Despite my efforts, I'm unable to progress beyond the partition creation stage during the Kali Linux installation onto the USB drive. I've tried multiple approaches, but the issue persists. I'm reaching out to the community for guidance and solutions to overcome this obstacle.
    If you require any additional information about my setup or the steps I've taken so far, please let me know. Any insights or suggestions you can provide would be immensely helpful.

Thank you in advance for your time and assistance.

Best regards,
    DarkPassenger23

What?s likely happening is that you are trying to make a partition on the same drive that you are running the .iso from. This won?t work. To solve this problem you will need to reformat that drive and install the ?live? image again and start from scratch.

My guess is that you?ve been selecting the ?install? option once you?ve booted with your USB stick. You need to select the ?Live? option. There will be no other installation steps required, it?s ready to go. Since you?re running into issues with partitioning, I would wager that you are trying to set up some sort of persistence. This is real easy. Go to this page: https://www.kali.org/docs/usb/usb-persistence/ and follow the instructions exactly as they are described.

There is a little snippet that I found could be explained a bit better. ?Check the connected usb drives with the command lsblk and modify the device name in the usb variable before running the commands. When I did lsblk, my usb stick was listed as sdf. So, take step 2 for example, I needed to change the command from usb=/dev/sdb to usb=/dev/sdf. Other than that, you can pretty much copy and paste the commands exactly as they are as long as you remember to change it to match your usb. Once you?re done, you boot into your usb and select Live with persistence and you?ll be good to go.

The guide I linked to assumes you are doing this on a Linux based system. Unfortunately, I don?t know how to do this on windows.

Thank you for effort to help me, but I was able to solve my problem... I attempted to install "bare metal" version of kali linux on the same installation USB... I installed it from USB on my external HD and now works like a charm... Thanks anyway...