Thread: Alfa AWUS036ACH wireless card attached, but no wlan0 interface detected.

Alfa AWUS036ACH wireless card attached, but no wlan0 interface detected.

I am using an Alfa AWUS036ACH wireless adapter with Kali Linux in Virtualbox. My current kernel version is 6.4.0-kali3-amd64. In Virtualbox settings, I selected USB 3.0 and attached the Realtek 802.11n NIC filter.

First I ran sudo apt update and wlan0 was present when I ran iwconfig. But after I ran sudo apt upgrade and restarted, wlan0 is no longer present as an interface, even though it's attached in the Virtualbox session.

I also have guest additions installed. Can anyone explain why the wireless adapter is not available after upgrading? I can revert to a previous snapshot and it works again, but as soon as I upgrade and restart, it's not available anymore. I also tried restarting my host machine, FYI.

Solved: Had to reinstall the driver and reboot, after upgrading: sudo apt install realtek-rtl88xxau-dkms
    Last edited by loby; 2023-09-02 at 17:23.

dont just restart, shut down. remove adapter. restart, then plug in adapter and 'attach' it to Kali again.

Solved, just had to run the below command to install the driver and reboot the VM.

sudo apt install realtek-rtl88xxau-dkms