Thread: Screen lock not working

Screen lock not working

Hey all,
    Minor bug cropped up when installing Kali into a new VMWare machine. When locking the screen via the menu, the screen goes black as expected, but any key press or mouse move stops the screensaver and gets you back into the session without asking for a password. I've checked gnome-session-properties and screensaver and lock is ticked as expected, and calling gnome-screensaver-command -l from the command line has the same problem. Any ideas on how to get this fixed? Thanks.

have to confim that screen lock is not working! Does other have the same issue?
    Would like to fix it

Lock Screen WORKING

Quote Originally Posted by tr00n3r View Post
    have to confim that screen lock is not working! Does other have the same issue?
    Would like to fix it
    You must create user account and create password on "System Setting"

Goodluck, my screen is LOCK.
    Cyber Security Labs
    [Check Point Special Partner --- Algosec Asia Country Mgr --- SourceFire Asia Partner --- F5 Firewall & Load Balancer --- RSA 8]

Quote Originally Posted by st3alther View Post
    You must create user account and create password on "System Setting"

Goodluck, my screen is LOCK.
    But still isn't working for root.

Yeah, I see the same problem. I have it actually installed on partition on my laptop, and can't seem to get it to really lock the screen for 'root'.

Same problem on all releases I have tested: 32 bits 64 bits VMware and Raspberry.

I've installed x64 it on my ProBook 4530s and encountering same issue. After pressing Ctrl+Alt+L it goes blank but upon pressing any key it returns back to screen.

I've tried using a standard user and it works. However when logged in as root user it doesn't work. I've updated the bug:0000245 I reported earlier.
    Last edited by sickn3ss; 2013-04-06 at 00:45.

It's not a bug. Locking screen as root user is blocked in the source code of "gnome-screensaver".

Quote Originally Posted by system_crash View Post
    It's not a bug. Locking screen as root user is blocked in the source code of "gnome-screensaver".
    No matter if it's called a bug or not, there needs to be a way to lock the screen for root.

There's a bug for it: http://bugs.kali.org/view.php?id=245

Quote Originally Posted by aru View Post
    No matter if it's called a bug or not, there needs to be a way to lock the screen for root.
    I agree with you aru. I deleted that part of code where locking is disabled for root and it works but I'm not able to unlock my screen after that, only way to unlock it is to reboot :S

Last edited by system_crash; 2013-04-10 at 14:26.

You can also install xlockmore and it will lock as root I just created a menu item that runs 'xlock -mode [whatever mode you want for the screensaver] -mousemotion'

As root, you will not be able to lock screen, why?..Due to secutity reasons.

It is not a BUG..You need to keep in mind one thing: Debian as any other linux distro is composed by metapackages, and some of them such as Gnome is developed not by Debian team, but by gnome team.

The gnome-screensaver will not lock screen as root due to security reasons. If you still have your doubts, well, refer here:
    https://live.gnome.org/GnomeScreensa..._in_as_root.3F

If you want to lock screen, gnome won't let you as stated in its page. So you might need to create a new user and then you will be able to do so.

Luck my friends.

Bug has been resolved. Do sudo apt-get update; sudo apt-get upgrade
    http://bugs.kali.org/view.php?id=245

Quote Originally Posted by system_crash View Post
    I totally agree with you, as I mentioned before and there is an explanation on why (I posted the gnome.org link).

Quote Originally Posted by aru View Post
    The most recent update seems to have fixed this. My screen locks appropriately now when left idle, and prompts for a password when waking up.

Fixed in lastest release