Thread: How do I recover my Kali Installation?

Exclamation How do I recover my Kali Installation?

Basically I took my current harddrive and shrank it in half so Kali and Windows could dual boot. Then I installed Kali and a few days later Windows crashed and the only solution was to re-install Windows on top of the old installation. Now I cannot load my Kali installation because Windows replaced the GRUB boot loader with its own. So I'm wondering is there a way recover the Kali installation without having to repartition the drives again?

Yes absolutely. Download EasyBCD for free from their website. After you install it edit your current boot settings and add a Linux (GRUB) bootloader pointing to your Kali installation. This is extremely easy to do with the EasyBCD Gui and shouldn't even take 5 minutes of your time after you have it installed. There's other ways to accomplish this like reinstalling GRUB or editing the grub.cfg but if you're dual booting with Windows this is the best option in my opinion for having 2 or more completely separate OS installations without having any of them relying on each other to boot up.

I'm happy to report that I fixed the problem. Using EasyBCD really helped, thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by kpoeticg View Post
    Yes absolutely. Download EasyBCD for free from their website. After you install it edit your current boot settings and add a Linux (GRUB) bootloader pointing to your Kali installation. This is extremely easy to do with the EasyBCD Gui and shouldn't even take 5 minutes of your time after you have it installed. There's other ways to accomplish this like reinstalling GRUB or editing the grub.cfg but if you're dual booting with Windows this is the best option in my opinion for having 2 or more completely separate OS installations without having any of them relying on each other to boot up.
    I have tried this to no avail. All I get after boot is a blank screen.