Thread: Kali boot's in text mode No GUI at all...

Kali boot's in text mode No GUI at all...

hi guys i am using kali gnome and i have installed it on my external hdd. But when boot kali it goes to text mode and it ask me for login details when i enter my login details instead of showing GUI it Displays big terminal.

thanks

Thats exactly correct. Once you logon in try typing in startx. Had the same problem actually on my first install on my external usb and I just had to type in startx. Let me know if it works.

its not backtrack 5 to use startx command for gui in kali use gdm3 command. you can later make a symbolic link to gdm3 with the name startx. it will then give gui with startx command as well.

It might be file system errors

use fsck command then reboot, first login by entering your password

Hi, I am having the same problem, however, gdm3 doesn't work. I tried fsck and came back with an error e2fsck cannot continue, aborting

Quote Originally Posted by magrtl View Post
    Hi, I am having the same problem, however, gdm3 doesn't work. I tried fsck and came back with an error e2fsck cannot continue, aborting
    i have the same issue with you, seems that no one has solve this yet.

Quote Originally Posted by bunnu1 View Post
    hi guys i am using kali gnome and i have installed it on my external hdd. But when boot kali it goes to text mode and it ask me for login details when i enter my login details instead of showing GUI it Displays big terminal.
    thanks
    Did you try deleting xorg.conf from /etc/X11 and rebooting your PC?

bg terminali

please help to solve big terminal problem after booting the system and after entering root and password
    thanks in advance

Can you be little more explicit..I do not understand...Can you boot into login screen or just cannot get even to that point.

Has anyone resolved this problem?, I've tried all of the above but nothing seems to work?

same same.
    tried instructions in the link below but didnt work for me.
    if anyone wants to try - maybe works on your system~

http://goo.gl/Ii7V5L

login to tty1

apt-get update

apt-get upgrade -y

apt-get install -f gdm3

Done , problem slove

Yeahhh

thanks man , problem solved thanks alot

Life Saver ..Thanks alot

Quote Originally Posted by beatvol View Post
    Life Saver ..Thanks alot
    The easiest way to get this to work without going through all of that (especially if you don't have internet access get) is to enter the BIOS and go to advanced settings and look for where it says UEFI boot and change it to CSM then save and exit and it will now boot either the CD or USB if you want to get back to your original operating system then just change it back to UEFI and reboot... Problem solved!

Quote Originally Posted by Greek View Post
    login to tty1

apt-get update

apt-get upgrade -y

apt-get install -f gdm3

Done , problem slove

I try that, but kali rolling say some other drive has been installed

I had kali linux installed in a USB with persistence and it was working perfectly. Then I did:
    apt-get update && apt-get upgrade -y && apt-get dist-upgrade -y
    Then when I boot it, it automatically login to root but I can't change to another virtual console, when I try it freezes and I have to power off the hard way. I've tried starts and it says
    -bash: startx: command not found
    I've tried rm /etc/X11/xorg.conf
    rm: cannot remove '/etc/X11/xorg.conf' : No such file or directory
    when I do gdm3 it seems to be thinking but nothing happens, I have to stop it with Ctrl+C
    When I do fsck it says
    fsck from util-linux 2.28
    When I do
    apt-get update && apt-get upgrade -y && apt-get dist-upgrade -y && apt-get install -f gdm3
    It says:
    E: dpkg was interrupted, you must manually run 'dpkg --configure -a' to correct the problem.
    When I try that it says:
    dpkg: error: unable to access dpkg status area: Read-only file system

If there's no way to update an USB kali linux I would like you to point me what should I look to install kali in a part of the hard drive. Right now I have Linux Mint installed in all the hard drive.

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by bunnu1 View Post

thanks

Hi every one;

I got the same problem i googled it, I found some solution that i tried but no one worked for me.
    so just when I was trying, I remembered that Kali was always telling me that there isn't enough space, so I logged to tty1 I deleted a big file in my Downloads folder
    after rebooting and waiting some seconds, everything became Ok it shows the graphical login normally.

I did it again I downloaded a big file to downloads folder after rebooting the login doesn't show again I did the same procedure and every thing is Ok again!
    I hope this will work for others please give me a confirmation if you tried it .

all the best
    thanks