Thread: nvidia and intel hd graphic card

nvidia and intel hd graphic card

hi,

i am having difficulties in installing the nvidia driver to my laptop. i tried the debian way and as well the nvidia driver from nvidia,
    whats more i googled and tried many other solutions from ubuntu mint and our forum... but no luck.
    installation goes without error but when i reboot or restart the gdm then i have a black screen and cursor blinks nothing else. i tried X -configure and starting the gdm with that but it didnt help, i tried nvidia-xconfig but again no luck.
    i fallowed this post an http://forums.kali.org/showthread.ph...ghlight=nvidia
    i installed nvidia drivers from this post and tried bumblebee, but nvidia drivers wont load while bumblebee running and as far as i know,
    we can run only the optirun app. but i just want to install nvidia drivers. i have used bt all release from begining and i had never problem with nvidia.
    this time i am really upset and dont know what to do anymore. could anyone help me please? has anyone had same issue? i appreciate your help! thank you!

my laptop has hybrid video card intel and nvidia. it is 64 bit. i installed kali 1.0.3 amd64 as uefi without problem. i cannot configure from the bios hybrid video card selection because there isnt that option. here is the lspci

intel hd 4000 hd and nvidia gt 640m le 2 gb

kaliuser:~$ lspci | grep VGA
    00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation 3rd Gen Core processor Graphics Controller (rev 09)
    01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: NVIDIA Corporation Device 0fd3 (rev a1)

Quote Originally Posted by strokerace View Post
    I have used linux for many years, to this date, I have never had to install drivers for a video card. They are installed when the distro is installed. So most like you are having an issue because the drivers are installed already.

What alot people are getting confused with here, is you may not get the exact same driver install for your cards. You will get a generic driver that will work for your vid card. Mojority of the features will be working, and some may not. Even when you have a card specific driver, so of your features of the card still may not work. Remember, you are taking something that was designed for a windows platform and running it on a linux distro.

i dont want to use nvidia open src nouveau, why should i? i want to use nvidia driver like normally, i am linux user since many years too! yes my computer is designed for windows, but dont you think that linux is much much
    improved? i believe! i use correct driver version! which computer is made for linux? rassberry?

I will spell it out for you. You are SOL as you can't do what you want it to do as you don't understand what you have.

Unfortunately, this generally doesn't work right now in Ubuntu.

X isn't configured to load two different vendors' driver packages (in this case, xserver-xorg-video-intel and fglrx or xserverg-xorg-video-ati) simultaneously. There are many posts on this forum asking about this, and it's not likely that Ubuntu will be able to implement this feature the way it is on Windows. I posted a bug report on Launchpad and was told that it may make it into the next version of nouveau, the open-source nVidia driver, but nVidia is the one vendor whose proprietary drivers are almost always preferable, so that doesn't necessarily help very much (and it doesn't help AMD+Intel users at all).

On top of this, most new mid-to-high-end video cards manufactured from 2012 onwards support 4+ displays, so that may decrease the priority of this feature going forward.

You may be able to hack something together that uses two separate instances of X (such that you wouldn't be able to drag applications between the Intel and AMD displays) but it'd require not using XRANDR (meaning you'd lose the Display configuration program in newer versions of Ubuntu, along with several other more user-friendly implementations like hotplugging displays), so I can't really recommend it unless you have years of Xorg.conf editing under your belt. If you're willing to drop a little bit of cash, you'd probably have better luck buying a second cheap AMD card that can be plugged into a spare PCI slot (e.g. http://www.club-3d.com/index.php/pro...s-edition.html) and using that instead of the Intel graphics, as it will likely work concurrently with the other one.

what are you talking about? i use kali not ubuntu! kali is debian not ubuntu! you are not helpful at all! please leave my thread! i just need help to set up and run propely nvidia drivers thats all!

READ THE **** ARTICAL. IT SAYS THEY DON"T WORK. Further more, if you knew anything about Linux, you wouldn't be here asking basic questions to a simple solution that can be found in a simple google search. That is why the inventor of google launched in 2001 so people can search for answers.
    I don't see any reason to be that harsh. You should see what happens in other distro forums. I am personally just happy BT/Kali finally managed to create a stable enough environment to attract more people into it.(noob or not, more people means more issues reported, more issues resolved and less time spent troubleshooting bugs and workarounds in the next distro). So offense or hard feelings.

@kaliuser
    Your post is a bit vague and I am not too sure exactly what you're looking for. However this is my understanding:
    You installed Kali and Nvidia Gfx drivers. Now when you boot into kali, you get that blinking cursor in the top right and nothing happens.

My solution is based on this assumption.
    So 1st problem is you need to login. To do so, press ATL CTRL F2/F3/F[x] where x is the Functions keys and one of them would give you a login prompt. Login as root.
    Rename /etc/X11/xorg.conf to /etc/X11/xorg.conf.old.
    Reboot
    You now should be able to login in GUI.

Once logged in: follow the instructions below and see if you see any improvement.
    http://docs.kali.org/general-use/ins...-on-kali-linux

If not follow this simple Google search page, try one solution at a time from Kali Forum, then move onto Debian Forum.

https://www.google.com.au/search?q=n...ient=firefox-a

I wouldn't follow instructions specific to UBUNTU distro as some of the packages are different and will end up breaking more stuff than you expect. Anytime you see the blinking cursor and you're unable to login, press ATL CTRL F2/F3/F[x] where x is the Functions keys and rename /etc/X11/xorg.conf file.

Also know this, Kali users are usually more advanced and probably not going to help with Gfx issues as most uses Text based versions(no GUI) for actual work. If you are not comfortable with Kali and think you might break things and end up more time fixing them than actually working, maybe try them in a VMWare/VirtualBox environment before trying them into a real environment. Hope this helps.