Thread: How to get Kali Linux to not go to sleep?

How to get Kali Linux to not go to sleep?

Hello to everyone. I'm a pretty new user to kali linux and have only downloaded it yesterday on vmware in windows7. I've been trying to crack my wpa password and noticed that when I leave the system running (in process of cracking password) and leave the laptop on and go away for about 10-15 minutes, Kali linux goes to sleep and I am not sure if the cracking process with reaver is still running or not. When I click onto the page a box comes up prompting me to type in my username and password. When I type that in it logs me back on but my screens that were left open cracking the password are no longer there and everything starts freezing up a lot. The mouse is freezing and if I try to click on anything there is a massive delay before anything happens or nothing at all.

I've since had to switch back to backtrack to do my cracking and has been running perfectly and does not go to sleep when left for long periods.
    Now what I'd like to know is how can I prevent kali linux from going to sleep and closing my work that's in progress?

Any help on this issue would be appreciated.

hi there,
    did you tried disabling your screen saver on kali ? also check vmware configuration in regards of cpu usage.
    good luck and keep posted

change the power options from the Kali , it sleeps after about 20 mins by default

[b]a quick fix to prevent sleeping screen and monitor in kali linux[/b]

A QUICK FIX TO PREVENT SLEEPING SCREEN AND MONITOR IN KALI LINUX

I encounter this problem in kali 1.0.6 where I disabled the screen lock (lock and brightness)
    and prevent screen from suspending (Power Management)..but still the monitor went to sleep
    Also there was no option prevent screen going in an inactive state infinitely..(lock and brightness-maximum time 1 hour)

I did some digging in xorg man pages and feel my way around with some tweaks..

turn off Energy star featUres of monitor by disabling Display Power Management Signalling (dpms) in xorg.conf
    open a terminal and do the following

root@localhost:~# leafpad /etc/X11/xorg.conf

In leafpad browse to this section
    Section "Monitor"
    Identifier "Monitor0"
    VendorName "Unknown"
    ModelName "Unknown"
    HorizSync 28.0 - 33.0
    VertRefresh 43.0 - 72.0

now append this line below "VertRefresh 43.0 - 72.0"

Option "dpms" "false"

afterwards save file
    you can also use "xset" command to do this (xset -dpms)..but you will have to disable energy everytime you reboot..atleast in kali
    after you do this...but appending the dpms lines above permanently disable dpms ... ..you can check to see if dpms is disabled.

root@localhost:~# xset q
    At the bottom of standard output you should see " DPMS is Disabled"

Now that you have done that your the monitor will not go into
    an energy saving state if mouse or keyboard is inactive....that is...you will not find your monitor saving power...power light on your monitor will always be green...one problem solved

Despite doing the above, kali linux will put the SCREEN (there is a difference between screen and monitor according to xorg man pages) to sleep when inactive
    if you go to Application--->System Tools--->Preferences---->Setting---->Brightness and Lock----> there is no option there to
    never let screen sleep...maximum inactive state time is 1 hour the screen goes inactive (blank)!.......to add this option..do.....I use leafpad to open the screen file with
    the codes in it

root@localhost:~# leafpad /usr/share/gnome-control-center/ui/screen.ui

once leapad is opened look at lines 83-86 you will see the following

<row>
    <col id="0" translatable="yes">1 hour</col>
    <col id="1">3600</col>
    </row>

below these instructions add
    <row>
    <col id="0" translatable="yes">Never</col>
    <col id="1">0</col>
    </row>

EXACTLY HOW IT IS!....save file.....
    Now go back to Application--->System Tools--->Preferences---->Setting---->Brightness and Lock---->
    and select the option "Never",the new option you create.....
    This worked for me!
    Problem..only problem you will have is that when you select 1 minute the screen will not go inactive after 1 minute
    ..if you select 2 minutes or any other options it will reset the value the boolean value "0" and after that 1 minute option
    will work fine!
    not a well done fix but it worked for me!!!

Other methods i tried include appending and setting blanktime status, suspendtime and offtime statuses in xorg.conf file to "0" but it wasn't working...i suppose i have
    disable the dpms that is why there is no need for this.....

hello this works for me add to startup-files
    see /usr/share/doc/bash/examples/startup-files

xset s off # don't activate screensaver
    xset -dpms # disable DPMS (Energy Star) features.
    xset s noblank # don't blank the video device

Is there any updates on how to set for no sleep. Dont mind the moniter going black but cant have the system suspend.
    Is this a bug?

Hi guys I have a laptop acer 3610
    I can not solve this situation that the screen goes to sleep

how can I fix?

i am using Kali linux os through the RDP, the screen is locked as showed in screenshot .

1. Buttons are in disable mode.
    2. Unable to enter the text
    3. when i close and reopen the RDP it is still remain same.

could you please help me to unlock it.kali.jpg

Hello repzeroworld,
    When I entered the first command of your post (leafpad...) in terminal, leafpad opened but nothing was written in it. It was blank.
    Last edited by Bharat; 2016-03-23 at 03:24. Reason: Spelling mistakes

go to settings(top right, where you have the wifi connection/shut down) click on privacy and set off the lock screen

Quote Originally Posted by bob79 View Post
    go to settings(top right, where you have the wifi connection/shut down) click on privacy and set off the lock screen
    Hello bob79,
    I've done what you said and now I am not seeing lockscreen again and again when the screen goes to sleep. Thank you for that.
    But I want to disable the continuous sleeping of my screen. For that I followed repzeroworld's steps. But when I entered the command : leafpad /etc/X11/xorg.conf ,
    leafpad opens with X11 xorg.conf and it is totally blank. What should I do.

Quote Originally Posted by Bharat View Post
    Hello bob79,
    I've done what you said and now I am not seeing lockscreen again and again when the screen goes to sleep. Thank you for that.
    But I want to disable the continuous sleeping of my screen. For that I followed repzeroworld's steps. But when I entered the command : leafpad /etc/X11/xorg.conf ,
    leafpad opens with X11 xorg.conf and it is totally blank. What should I do.
    that was an old post.. watch the date it was posted
    https://vimeo.com/136158400

and.. there's always our friend google. Happy hunting

for kali 2.0?

Smile this works well for a quick fix :)

Quote Originally Posted by repzeroworld View Post
    A QUICK FIX TO PREVENT SLEEPING SCREEN AND MONITOR IN KALI LINUX

I encounter this problem in kali 1.0.6 where I disabled the screen lock (lock and brightness)
    and prevent screen from suspending (Power Management)..but still the monitor went to sleep
    Also there was no option prevent screen going in an inactive state infinitely..(lock and brightness-maximum time 1 hour)

I did some digging in xorg man pages and feel my way around with some tweaks..

turn off Energy star featUres of monitor by disabling Display Power Management Signalling (dpms) in xorg.conf
    open a terminal and do the following

root@localhost:~# leafpad /etc/X11/xorg.conf

In leafpad browse to this section
    Section "Monitor"
    Identifier "Monitor0"
    VendorName "Unknown"
    ModelName "Unknown"
    HorizSync 28.0 - 33.0
    VertRefresh 43.0 - 72.0

now append this line below "VertRefresh 43.0 - 72.0"

Option "dpms" "false"

afterwards save file
    you can also use "xset" command to do this (xset -dpms)..but you will have to disable energy everytime you reboot..atleast in kali
    after you do this...but appending the dpms lines above permanently disable dpms ... ..you can check to see if dpms is disabled.

root@localhost:~# xset q
    At the bottom of standard output you should see " DPMS is Disabled"

Now that you have done that your the monitor will not go into
    an energy saving state if mouse or keyboard is inactive....that is...you will not find your monitor saving power...power light on your monitor will always be green...one problem solved

Despite doing the above, kali linux will put the SCREEN (there is a difference between screen and monitor according to xorg man pages) to sleep when inactive
    if you go to Application--->System Tools--->Preferences---->Setting---->Brightness and Lock----> there is no option there to
    never let screen sleep...maximum inactive state time is 1 hour the screen goes inactive (blank)!.......to add this option..do.....I use leafpad to open the screen file with
    the codes in it

root@localhost:~# leafpad /usr/share/gnome-control-center/ui/screen.ui

once leapad is opened look at lines 83-86 you will see the following

<row>
    <col id="0" translatable="yes">1 hour</col>
    <col id="1">3600</col>
    </row>

below these instructions add
    <row>
    <col id="0" translatable="yes">Never</col>
    <col id="1">0</col>
    </row>

EXACTLY HOW IT IS!....save file.....
    Now go back to Application--->System Tools--->Preferences---->Setting---->Brightness and Lock---->
    and select the option "Never",the new option you create.....
    This worked for me!
    Problem..only problem you will have is that when you select 1 minute the screen will not go inactive after 1 minute
    ..if you select 2 minutes or any other options it will reset the value the boolean value "0" and after that 1 minute option
    will work fine!
    not a well done fix but it worked for me!!!

Other methods i tried include appending and setting blanktime status, suspendtime and offtime statuses in xorg.conf file to "0" but it wasn't working...i suppose i have
    disable the dpms that is why there is no need for this.....
    work awesome for me and enabled me to finish off my work on photorec cheers for the post