Thread: chntpw won't work (going to loop)

chntpw won't work (going to loop)

hello, I have some problem with program - chntpw.
    I have 2 notebooks with installed KaliLinux 1.0.2 x32 and x64 updated and upgraded.
    The version of chntpw is 0.99.6 -last.
    I tried to use chntpw in interactive mode (-i) on two notebooks and can't use it. I start the program: choose "1" - Edit users, then choose needet user,
    then type - "1" - clear password, then I need to quit and save changes to hev files, but programm can't quit. I have a loop.
    I also try to boot from KaliLinux Live CD - same problem, but when I have booted from BackTrack 5 R3 - All working good and I reset user pass in my both Windows 7 (x32 and x64).
    I try to purge and then install chntpw - did't help.
    Is it only my problem?
    Any ideas?

Version 0.99.6-2 has been reported to not quite working with some Windows 7 computers. The precedent version 0.99.5-0 does however work perfectly

Thank You, How can I install pervious (0.99.5-0) version? (Terminal please, because GUI packet manager don't work )

I have downloaded the .deb package from launchpad - chntpw 0.99.5-0+nmu1 (i386 binary) and run it like script (with ./chntpw) and it working! Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by root-boy View Post
    Version 0.99.6-2 has been reported to not quite working with some Windows 7 computers. The precedent version 0.99.5-0 does however work perfectly
    hi
    azz .. I had not noticed it is true!

I did the same test with win7 (booting-virtualbox) with chntpw version (inside) in Kali-live 1.0.3 (same-boot) && do not reset the passwd!
    I redid the same test with the version (chntpw) contained in BT5R3-live-WORKED BEAUTIFULLY ....

Check this link