Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Troubleshooting Wireless Drivers

Hi All,

I've read through the troubleshooting guide and still can't seem to work out my issue. My guess at the moment is its a power issue.

I have a Alfa Networks AWUS036H 1MW wireless card which I don't seem to be able to get to work on the latest version of Kali for the Raspberry Pi.

From dmesg everything seems to be fine, in fact the output is the same as the output I get if I plug it into my laptop, which it works on.

usb 1-1.3.5: Product: RTL8187_Wireless
    usb 1-1.3.5: Manufacturer: Manufacturer_Realtek_RTL8187_
    usb 1-1.3.5: SerialNumber: 00C0CA40CFBC
    cfg80211: Calling CRDA to update world regulatory domain
    ieee80211 phy0: Selected rate control algorithm 'minstrel_ht'
    ieee80211 phy0: hwaddr 00:c0:ca:40:cf:bc, RTL8187vB (default) V1 + rtl8225z2, rfkill mask 2
    rtl8187: Customer ID is 0xFF
    Registered led device: rtl8187-phy0::radio
    Registered led device: rtl8187-phy0::tx
    Registered led device: rtl8187-phy0::rx
    rtl8187: wireless switch is on
    usbcore: registered new interface driver rtl8187

However when I run ifconfig or iwconfig wlan0 has no wireless extensions. The lights on my card are not on either. So I thought it was a power issue.

I purchased the 'Zipp' usb hub listed last on the list here 'http://elinux.org/RPi_Powered_USB_Hubs' but the same issue exists.

Anyone have any ideas?

Hi,

I've got a problem reconnecting my device (TP-LINK TL-WN821N version 4, so it is a realtek chip). The first connection after booting works with:

ifconfig wlan0 up
    wpa_supplicant-B -c /etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant.conf -Dwext -iwlan0
    dhclient wlan0
    After shutting down wlan via

killall wpa_supplicant
    ifconfig wlan0 down
    dhclient -r wlan0
    It will never be able to connect again. Only after rebooting my system.

dmesg will contain a message like

IPv6 (NETDEV_UP): wlan0: link is not ready

I have not tried in kali but I have tried the same wifi adapter on my pi and it will not work unless i use a powered usb hub so that could be the issue although no idea why your current but might not be working. if i dont use the hub my wifi adapter acts the same way

Quote Originally Posted by Bobg View Post
    Hi All,

I've read through the troubleshooting guide and still can't seem to work out my issue. My guess at the moment is its a power issue.

I have a Alfa Networks AWUS036H 1MW wireless card which I don't seem to be able to get to work on the latest version of Kali for the Raspberry Pi.

From dmesg everything seems to be fine, in fact the output is the same as the output I get if I plug it into my laptop, which it works on.

usb 1-1.3.5: Product: RTL8187_Wireless
    usb 1-1.3.5: Manufacturer: Manufacturer_Realtek_RTL8187_
    usb 1-1.3.5: SerialNumber: 00C0CA40CFBC
    cfg80211: Calling CRDA to update world regulatory domain
    ieee80211 phy0: Selected rate control algorithm 'minstrel_ht'
    ieee80211 phy0: hwaddr 00:c0:ca:40:cf:bc, RTL8187vB (default) V1 + rtl8225z2, rfkill mask 2
    rtl8187: Customer ID is 0xFF
    Registered led device: rtl8187-phy0::radio
    Registered led device: rtl8187-phy0::tx
    Registered led device: rtl8187-phy0::rx
    rtl8187: wireless switch is on
    usbcore: registered new interface driver rtl8187

However when I run ifconfig or iwconfig wlan0 has no wireless extensions. The lights on my card are not on either. So I thought it was a power issue.

I purchased the 'Zipp' usb hub listed last on the list here 'http://elinux.org/RPi_Powered_USB_Hubs' but the same issue exists.

Anyone have any ideas?
    Last edited by jjd; 2013-10-03 at 05:04 AM.

Hi
    after last update I have problem with my AWUS036H ( rtl8187 b), it be fixed in channel and will not change when i run wash og airodump-ng, it is ok with monitore mode and works problem free in network manager.( i mean it can find all AP in different channels), I tried to copy old driver from "3.7-trunk-amd64" to "3.10-3-amd64" but it make that system cannot find wlan0 (rtl8187) at all. is it only me that have this problem? is this a bug?

Hi,

I have just purchased a new unbranded USB to use on the vmware image I downloaded from the website, as the old belkin wasn't giving me the range I required.

The chipset is a realtek 8191 although when plugged into Vm it displays 8191Su.

I have the linux drivers for this item and have used the install.sh provided (for end users who are not familiar with Linux system) like me and seemed to install ok.

iwconfig lists it as being present but it will not start with airmon-ng start wlan1.

My Questions are as follows

1. Is this chipset supported - I have read that it is under the 8192 drivers?
    2. If it is supported - Is there a driver that i can download with instructions pertinent to kali-linux ?
    3. If the above is "don't waste your time" - Is the Atheros AR5008 compatable?

I have downloaded the backports-3.11.6-1 file but cannot get it to install so if there is a glimmer of hope
    that this may work could someone help me with the correct syntax to get this installed I am having a
    problem with the ./scripts/driver-select section.

I have today tried the instructions from a livecd 32 bit edition at https://forums.kali.org/archive/index.php/t-127.html but this too failed

Another quick update - after using the dmesg command I have discovered that the usb is using the r8712u: DriverVersion: v7_0.20100831 (don't know if this is relevant) and a msg at the bottom of the list stating ADDRCONF(NETDEV_UP): wlan0: link is not ready.

Somebody please please please help me - this is daein ma heid in!
    Rab.
    Last edited by flyinghaggis; 2013-10-31 at 05:53 PM. Reason: Attempt Update

I got 1 TP-W8200ND wirelless USB adapter //chipset: RTL8192CU// and does not work on Backtrack 5 R3 Kali... ima new in this and i cant speak english neither... someone can help me?

I am looking for an up-to-date status report on the Realtek RTL8723AE wireless adapter. The last information around was dated the beginning of August. Does anyone know if there is a newer set of driver software for Linux available from Realtek anywhere that ACTUALLY WORKS without having to be bodged?

Many thanks,
    Mark.

It seems like everyone on here is have just as much trouble as I did (am) with Realtek. From what I have been able to tell so far is that little to none of the rtl based wifi cards work as is. However if you have been using linux long enough, and feel up to it. Most of the cards issues seem to be able to be resolved by ways of rebuilding the kernel. I am still sort of new to linux/Kali myself. I finally figure it out though

So, if you are having an issue with Realtek not working, no monitor mode capability, no interface...etc. The list goes on.. Try checking out https://github.com/chunkeey/rtl8192su for issues with the r8712u module. That's the one that I had and this seems to be the only source of real progress I have been able to find. Someone let me know if they have heard anything otherwise.
    As for all other Realtek firmware/driver problems a good place I can think to start would be: http://wireless.kernel.org/en/users/Drivers That is a link to the device and driver compatibility for all the devices that their kernel covers. For Realtek specifically, check out http://wireless.kernel.org/en/users/Drivers/rtl819x

I realize that this is no quick fix, or even an answer at all for that matter. Hopefully it might save someone a good amount of time. I wish that I could be more helpful. If anyone has questions, I will try to help in any way that I can.

Im using the driver from cd that came with "Asus usb-n13" 802.11b/g/n I know it works because I used it without flaw on KDE kali yesterday. I ended up goofing trying to get cuda working with nvidia driver and had to do a full reinstall of Kali. Now just using gnome kali bleeding-edge and I get this error and it doesn't show up using lspci | grep -i wifi

Thanks for helping a noob. I'm still learning
    Code:
    ##################################################
    Compile make driver ok!!
    Authentication requested [root] for remove driver:
    Error: Module 8192cu is not currently loaded
    Authentication requested [root] for insert driver:
    Error: could not insert module 8192cu.ko: Unknown symbol in module
    Authentication requested [root] for install driver:
    install -p -m 644 8192cu.ko  /lib/modules/3.7-trunk-amd64/kernel/drivers/net/wireless/
    /sbin/depmod -a 3.7-trunk-amd64
    The Setup Script is completed !
    Code:
    Interface	Chipset		Driver

wlan1		Unknown 	rtl8192cu - [phy3]
    wlan0		Unknown 	rtl8192se - [phy0]
    Code:
    lspci | grep -i wireless
    07:00.0 Network controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL8191SEvB Wireless LAN Controller (rev 10)
    I am using the latest linux headers linux-headers-3.7-trunk-amd64 - Header files for Linux 3.7-trunk-amd64
    I think the problem may be I need back compadible headers if so how can I do this. Thanks

Little update. I finally got it working and was able to succefully inject and capture traffic. I don't know why but unplugging and replugging till it reads phy9+ it will work anything lower than that and I cannot see any networks I know are there.

Code:
    Interface	Chipset		Driver

mon0		Unknown 	rtl8192cu - [phy9]
    wlan1		Unknown 	rtl8192cu - [phy9]
    wlan0		Unknown 	rtl8192se - [phy0]
    I also got Cuda working not that its much better on this pc but a good learning experiance.

Code:
    pyrit list_cores
    Pyrit 0.4.0 (C) 2008-2011 Lukas Lueg http://pyrit.googlecode.com
    This code is distributed under the GNU General Public License v3+

The following cores seem available...
    #1:  'CUDA-Device #1 'GeForce 310M''
    #2:  'CPU-Core (SSE2)'
    #3:  'CPU-Core (SSE2)'
    #4:  'CPU-Core (SSE2)'
    #5:  'CPU-Core (SSE2)'
    #6:  'CPU-Core (SSE2)'
    #7:  'CPU-Core (SSE2)'
    #8:  'CPU-Core (SSE2)'
    Any Ideas on the [Phy] thing or if you want lsmod or somthing let me know. Cheers