Thread: Alfa AWUS036H no connection

Alfa AWUS036H no connection

Hey guys. I just installed the latest version of Kali 32 bit onto my HDD. I ran apt-get update and apt-get upgrade. All went well (and I did this via LAN). However, when I try to connect wirelessly with my Alfa AWUD036H v5 (genuine rtl8187l), I can connect to my network (~ -50 rssi) and I get an ip but am unable to connect to the Internet. I have a NETGEAR WNDR3400v2 router with WPA2. Any ideas with what's wrong?

If you can connect to your wireless network and have an IP so your card is working fine on Kali.

Time to do some network troubleshooting. Check DNS, Routing (gateway set?), ARP table being populated etc...

Have you tried restarting your network manager?

Code:
    /etc/init.d/network-manager restart
    I had similar issues and it turned out to be a routing problem when you have LAN and Wifi connected at the sametime. Also "schwermie" is correct, do some basic troubleshooting. Good luck.

Thanks for the replies. Before I installed Kali I had windows 7 and previously vista and before XP. I formatted the hard drive just to get a clean install, reinstalled Windows 7 professional 32 bit and Kali 32 bit and all works well now. No idea what te problem was but thanks for the advice!