Thread: Binwalk Plugins is not defined

Binwalk Plugins is not defined

Hi,
    I havent used Kali for a while, so I updated with the commands apt-get update apt-get-upgrade and apt-get dist-upgrade.

I want to use BinWalk but I get this error:
    Code:
    root@kali:~/usb/Phison_PS2251# binwalk 2261FW30753.BIN 
    Traceback (most recent call last):
      File "/usr/bin/binwalk", line 536, in <module>
        main()
      File "/usr/bin/binwalk", line 481, in main
        plugins_blacklist=plugin_blacklist)
      File "/usr/lib/pymodules/python2.7/binwalk/__init__.py", line 306, in scan
        self.plugins = Plugins(self, whitelist=plugins_whitelist, blacklist=plugins_blacklist)
    NameError: global name 'Plugins' is not defined
    I have:
    updated kali
    Checked the dependancies of binwalk at the wiki and they are installed.
    apt-get remove binwalk, then apt-get install binwalk (didnt think this would do anything but tried it )

Has anyone else had this issue, or can point me straight please?
    cheers

Same issue here
    Using Kali x86 1.0.3, with & without bleeding edge - fully up-to-date each time

Code:
    root@kali ~$ wget http://www.tp-link.com/resources/software/TL-WA801ND_V2_130121.zip                                                                                                                    
    --2013-07-24 12:03:17--  http://www.tp-link.com/resources/software/TL-WA801ND_V2_130121.zip
    Resolving www.tp-link.com (www.tp-link.com)... 50.62.149.47
    Connecting to www.tp-link.com (www.tp-link.com)|50.62.149.47|:80... connected.
    HTTP request sent, awaiting response... 200 OK
    Length: 3597282 (3.4M) [application/x-zip-compressed]
    Saving to: `TL-WA801ND_V2_130121.zip'

100%[===============================================================================================================================================================>] 3,597,282    512K/s   in 7.7s    

2013-07-24 12:03:25 (459 KB/s) - `TL-WA801ND_V2_130121.zip' saved [3597282/3597282]

root@kali ~$ unzip TL-WA801ND_V2_130121.zip                                                                                                                                                             
    Archive:  TL-WA801ND_V2_130121.zip
       creating: TL-WA801ND_V2_130121/
      inflating: TL-WA801ND_V2_130121/wa801nv2_en_3_13_30_up_boot(130121).bin  
    root@kali ~$ cd TL-WA801ND_V2_130121                                                                                                                                                                    
    root@kali ~/TL-WA801ND_V2_130121$ binwalk -B wa801nv2_en_3_13_30_up_boot\(130121\).bin                                                                                                                     
    Traceback (most recent call last):
      File "/usr/bin/binwalk", line 536, in <module>
        main()
      File "/usr/bin/binwalk", line 481, in main
        plugins_blacklist=plugin_blacklist)
      File "/usr/lib/pymodules/python2.7/binwalk/__init__.py", line 306, in scan
        self.plugins = Plugins(self, whitelist=plugins_whitelist, blacklist=plugins_blacklist)
    NameError: global name 'Plugins' is not defined
    root@kali ~/TL-WA801ND_V2_130121$

Code:
    root@kali ~$ binwalk 2>&1 | head                                                                                                                                                                        

Binwalk v1.2.1
    Craig Heffner, http://www.devttys0.com

Usage: binwalk [OPTIONS] [FILE1] [FILE2] [FILE3] ...

Signature Analysis:
    	-B, --binwalk                 Perform a file signature scan (default)
    	-R, --raw-bytes=<string>      Search for a custom signature
    	-A, --opcodes                 Scan for executable code signatures
    root@kali ~$
    I think this should make its way onto http://bugs.kali.org if it hasn't already.

Edit:
    Bug submitted: http://bugs.kali.org/view.php?id=460
    Last edited by g0tmi1k; 2013-07-25 at 15:38.

Thanks alot for going to the trouble of testing it, I appreciate that.

Seems its not me then (for a change). I don't know enough linux coding to help solve the bug though in Kali unfortunately.

I did manage to get binwalk working fine on another VM of BT5r3 after a few hours of updating that and installing it from source. IIRC the version of binwalk BT had was 0.4 something.

Worked great, though after around 4 hours of work realised these tools arent going to help with the firmware Im looking at.

Thank you for taking the time to report the issue in the first place!

The issue I believe is with package in Kali and as a result, I've submitted it to the bug tracker (didn't see anyone else reporting the issue).

Backtrack 5 has 0.4.3 its in repos (that was released in March 2012), Kali has 1.2.1 (released in April 2013).
    However I guess the better version is the one that works for you

Sorry to hear that it didn't do the trick.
    If it helps, I know that pauldotcom.com love firmware stuff, and have had a few talks about tools on their podcast so you could check their wiki.

Removing these files fixed this problem for me:
    /usr/lib/pymodules/python2.7/binwalk/plugins/__init__.py
    /usr/lib/pymodules/python2.7/binwalk/plugins/__init__.pyc
    /usr/lib/pymodules/python2.6/binwalk/plugins/__init__.py
    /usr/lib/pymodules/python2.6/binwalk/plugins/__init__.pyc

The binwalk package does not show these files in this directory, so I'm not sure how they got installed. The issue appears to be that the python import finds __init__.py in the plugins directory before the plugins.py file in the binwalk directory and thus the Plugins class does not get defined.

Many many Thanks for figuring that out, it worked for me as well.

I am now binwalking again

The issue should be fixed now. Package has been updated.

Upgraded and fixed in binwalk_1.2.2-1-1kali0.
    Source: https://bugs.kali.org/view.php?id=460