Results 1 to 16 of 16

Thread: PAE-kernel? I have a dilemma.

  1. #1
    Join Date
    2013-Mar
    Posts
    6

    PAE-kernel? I have a dilemma.

    I have this old Compaq NX 6110 laptop that I've been using for the past many years for BackTrack. I've upgraded the RAM to 1 gig and it worked quite nicely and responsive after disabling most of the KDE desktop effects. Recently I saw the Kali release announcement and decided to give it a go. I have not yet performed the installation, but the installer seemed to work fine while testing it. So I decided to try the live image instead and was greeted by this message:

    This kernel requires the following features not present on the CPU:
    pae
    Unable to boot - please use a kernel appropriate for your CPU.
    So now I have a dilemma, what do I do?

    Can I still somehow run Kali on this old piece of junk? I.e. is there a supported non-pae kernel available in the repos?
    Or do I simply go and purchase a newer laptop?

    ~Shat

  2. #2
    Join Date
    2013-Feb
    Posts
    225
    You could probably use live-build to create a kali iso with a "normal" 486 kernel.

    root@kali:~# apt-cache search linux-image-3.7
    ...
    linux-image-3.7-trunk-486 - Linux 3.7 for older PCs
    linux-image-3.7-trunk-686-pae - Linux 3.7 for modern PCs

    I haven't tried this yet, but see no reason it shouldn't work.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    2013-Mar
    Location
    Somewhere in the hell
    Posts
    15
    You can download at here.

    Samiux
    While you do not know attack, how can you know about defense? (未知攻,焉知防?)
    Think like a criminal and act as a professional.
    Not only Try Harder but also Try Smarter!

  4. #4
    Join Date
    2013-Mar
    Posts
    6
    Thanks for the article. I'll perform the conversion when I have some free time...

    By the way, is there a way to install Kali to an encrypted HDD with LVM by using the existing installer with manual configuration? I can't seem to convince it to accept my setup. I'm trying to put the /boot partition on an usb flash key while having the rest of the system installed on a LVM within a fully encrypted HDD. The installer refuses to encrypt /dev/sda, instead it wants to create a partition table and encrypt a partition i.e. /dev/sda1.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    2013-Mar
    Posts
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by Shatter View Post
    Thanks for the article. I'll perform the conversion when I have some free time...

    By the way, is there a way to install Kali to an encrypted HDD with LVM by using the existing installer with manual configuration? I can't seem to convince it to accept my setup. I'm trying to put the /boot partition on an usb flash key while having the rest of the system installed on a LVM within a fully encrypted HDD. The installer refuses to encrypt /dev/sda, instead it wants to create a partition table and encrypt a partition i.e. /dev/sda1.
    I am having a very similar issue. I only have a ThinkPad X31 with a Pentium M Processor(400MHz FSB), so I can't install Kali Linux on my machine. Unfortunately, samiux was banned and his solution was deleted before I could take a look at it. Can you let me know what the solution was, Shatter? I really want to have this up and running, but I can't even use the disc in Forensic Mode without a compatible processor. I want to give Kali a whirl, so I look forward to seeing the conversion solution. Thanks in advance!

  6. #6
    Join Date
    2013-Apr
    Posts
    4
    That is not very good, the same problem here with Pentium M. Any workarounds please?

  7. #7
    Join Date
    2013-Mar
    Posts
    6
    I bought a newer laptop.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    2013-Apr
    Posts
    4
    Hehe not an option here, X31 is still quite a usable machine

  9. #9
    Join Date
    2013-Mar
    Posts
    9
    Quote Originally Posted by mcmurphy View Post
    That is not very good, the same problem here with Pentium M. Any workarounds please?
    Already provided, read above.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    2013-Apr
    Posts
    4
    I don't know how I have managed to miss it. Thanks.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    2013-May
    Location
    SC, USA
    Posts
    1
    Hi, this is my first post. If you go to "settings" in virtual box menu, go to "system", then click on "processor" tab, you'll see a box that says "Enable PAE/NX"; check this box and it will fix the pae booting error. Hope this helps!
    HP Probook 6560b 8GB RAM 128GB SSD

  12. #12
    Join Date
    2014-Mar
    Posts
    49
    Is there a pre-compiled ISO available? I have an older UMPC I want to use, and buying a new laptop is not the solution I'm looking for. Or would I be better off using Backtrack, which works fine?

  13. #13
    Join Date
    2014-Aug
    Posts
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by RChadwick View Post
    Is there a pre-compiled ISO available? I have an older UMPC I want to use, and buying a new laptop is not the solution I'm looking for. Or would I be better off using Backtrack, which works fine?
    I am in the same boat as the others. I have an older R51 ThinkPad that is a perfectly capable machine for my uses. I tried to use a Backtrack CD I have had for a while, but since it is not maintained anymore I could not apt-get update nor install reaver. Which led me to Kali. I DLed a huge ISO via torrent, copied it over to USB stick only to find out it won't boot on my machine. And I don't want to take hours to recompile from source as given in the instructions above (although appreciated) if I can possibly avoid it. Any other options?

  14. #14
    Join Date
    2015-Sep
    Posts
    2

    Same dilemma. PAE-kernel?

    Quote Originally Posted by muts View Post
    You could probably use live-build to create a kali iso with a "normal" 486 kernel.

    root@kali:~# apt-cache search linux-image-3.7
    ...
    linux-image-3.7-trunk-486 - Linux 3.7 for older PCs
    linux-image-3.7-trunk-686-pae - Linux 3.7 for modern PCs

    I haven't tried this yet, but see no reason it shouldn't work.
    If I run a Live Kali on a non-PAE CPU, what you wil think it wil happening? I think it will not run. Any other ideas?

  15. #15
    Join Date
    2015-Sep
    Posts
    2
    You could probably use live-build to create a kali iso with a "normal" 486 kernel.

    root@kali:~# apt-cache search linux-image-3.7
    ...
    linux-image-3.7-trunk-486 - Linux 3.7 for older PCs
    linux-image-3.7-trunk-686-pae - Linux 3.7 for modern PCs

    I haven't tried this yet, but see no reason it shouldn't work.
    It seems logic to not run/work Kali Live on non-PAE CPU unless if find a non-PAE kernel build. So any other solutions?

  16. #16
    Join Date
    2015-Oct
    Posts
    1

    non PAE kernal install

    Quote Originally Posted by S3th View Post
    It seems logic to not run/work Kali Live on non-PAE CPU unless if find a non-PAE kernel build. So any other solutions?
    Download Kali 2.0, boot from DVD. When main boot screen opens, select install option, but instead of hitting "enter", hit "tab". This will give you a command line with boot instructions. At the end, add "forcepae -- forcepae". Then hit "enter". This should install the kernel.

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 12
    Last Post: 2017-03-05, 03:28
  2. Replies: 6
    Last Post: 2014-01-15, 21:00

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •