Thread: Live USB slower with larger USB drive capacity and persistence?

Live USB slower with larger USB drive capacity and persistence?

I have Kali installed on a PNY 64 GB USB 2.0 thumb drive. I set up persistence using the instructions on kali.org. Works as advertised, but when I boot to it using persistence it is sluggish as heck. apt-get update, apt-get upgrad, launching iceweasel, all very noticbly slower. If I shutdown and reboot into the live USB without persistence the response time is greatly improved. Thinking it might have something to do with the 64GB capacity, I repeated the process using a 16 GB USB 2.0 thumb drive. When booting with persistence it still seems sluggish though maybe not as bad as the 64 GB thumb drive.

Is this normal behavior when running persistence? Anyone else seeing this?

I've run into the same thing with an 8 GB thumb drive. Perhaps it's related to read/write speeds on the drive? I ended up getting fed up and doing a hard drive install.

Quote Originally Posted by 64nickel View Post
    I have Kali installed on a PNY 64 GB USB 2.0 thumb drive. I set up persistence using the instructions on kali.org. Works as advertised, but when I boot to it using persistence it is sluggish as heck. apt-get update, apt-get upgrad, launching iceweasel, all very noticbly slower. If I shutdown and reboot into the live USB without persistence the response time is greatly improved. Thinking it might have something to do with the 64GB capacity, I repeated the process using a 16 GB USB 2.0 thumb drive. When booting with persistence it still seems sluggish though maybe not as bad as the 64 GB thumb drive.

Hey 64nickel,
    I know this may sound strange - and I have no explanation for it - but, a friend of mine bought a 32GB PNY (the little red ones) and had significant speed problems also.
    From time to time it even freeze.
    He went back to Staples and exchanged it for their tiny 32GB one (it's a Sandisk "white-label"). It works like a charm now.
    From reviews I read the PNY and the Staples have similar writing/read speeds...so, I don't see the reason.

Best regards,

Quote Originally Posted by 64nickel View Post

I try persistence on Kali linux,WiFiSlax,Ubuntu 14.04 and all work slow.
    So i think it is a linux problem not a hardware problem.

A year later, I have actually just moved over to Kali from BT5. This is an extremely frustrating situation. Im glad that you guys have tried other USB devices as I was about to go out and get a "better" pen drive. The pen drive install is very slow in my experience and would like to know if anyone has otherwise to say...You'll know what I mean if read/write freezes your install constantly and you cant do a **** thing with kali. iceweasel, writing files, tabbing for folder shortcuts etc.

I am using a 32gb Lexar and thought it was due to the size of disk being larger than my previous 16gb but it looks like its the linux distro with Kali. My BT5r3 did NOT have this issue. Theres some reading on the topic here http://askubuntu.com/questions/12211...ck-really-slow

The issue seems to be from the caching and I have confirmed my resources were no overwhelmed during the freeze ups. This is pretty darn annoying since it forces us to install to disk and leaves the security of a pen drive install useless...

Anyone have a different experience they can share?

Cheers..

Hi

I experienced the same problem
    Two usb pens, 8gb and 32 gb, both with Kali Linux with persistence.
    The installation on 8gb is faster than the installation on 32 gb (a lot of freezings), despite the fact that 32gb pen is faster than 8gb (measured with hdparm)
    The problem seems linked to the size of usb
    Any idea ?
    Thanks and regards, Luca