Hey all!

I am a newb, and after hours (and hours) of searching for answers to this online, and not finding a real solution I decided to create a how-to of the steps I took to get Cuda and Pyrit working on my machines.

To start off I have 2 machines:

Phenom II 980 BE / GTX 570
FX-8150 / GTX 680

I have tested this on both machines.

Second, the starting point to these instructions is a clean install of 1.0.4 i386 (It should work the same with x64, but since the 32-bit version has PAE, I didn't feel the need to run a 64-bit OS)

What you will need:

Nvidia Cuda Toolkit https://developer.nvidia.com/cuda-toolkit
I used the Version 5.5 Self Extracting Installer for 32-Bit OS.

pyrit http://pyrit.googlecode.com
cpyrit http://pyrit.googlecode.com

Let's get started!

First thing we need to do is to make sure the kernel headers are installed

Code:
apt-get upate && apt-get install -y linux-headers-$(uname -r)
Then we need to disable the builtin linux drivers, save the changes to grub and reboot to unload them.

Code:
sed 's/quiet/quiet nouveau.modeset=0/g' -i /etc/default/grub
update-grub
reboot
Once the computer reboots. DO NOT log back into the GDM. Instead press CTRL + ALT + F1 and log into the command prompt.

In order to install the Nvidia drivers, you need to shut down the gdm service by typing this

Code:
service gdm3 stop
Now we are ready to install the nVidia driver and Cuda Toolset.

CD to the directory that you downloaded the Nvidia drivers to and type the following commands. (this is for the version that I downloaded. If you have a different version, put the correct file name in for yours)

Code:
chmod 755 cuda-5.5.11-linux_32.run
./cuda-5.5.11-linux_32.run
At this point scroll through the EULA (space to move a page at a time, enter for a line at a time) and accept the agreement.

You will get a warning that this is not a supported version of Linux, do you want to continue. Type Y and press enter.

I took the defaults for the rest of the options.

Hopefully at this point you should (after a couple minutes) get a message saying that the install was successful. Yay!

Go ahead and type

Code:

reboot
Once your computer comes back up, you will probably see a blank black screen with a cursor flashing in the top left corner. Don't worry, it's not a bad thing, and nothing is gone.

Simply press CTRL + ALT + F1 and login.

Type the following

Code:
nvidia-xconfig
reboot
You should now be able to log in using the gdm GUI.

The hard part is done!

A few more minutes and you will be up and running with pyrit using your GPU's.!

Open a terminal shell and cd to the directory that you downloaded the pyrit files to.

Type the following to extract them. Remember to change the file name if you have a different version.

Code:
tar -xvzf pyrit-0.4.0.tar.gz
tar -xvzf cpyrit-cuda-0.4.0.tar.gz
For the sake of brevity I will just type all of the next steps into a single code box. But just understand that I am adding a couple packages that are necessary to compile / run. Then installing pyrit and cpyrit. These are the commands I used, and the files were in my /root/ directory.

Code:
apt-get install python2.7-dev python2.7-libpcap libpcap-dev

cd /pyrit-0.4.0/
python setup.py build
python setup.py install

cd

cd /cpyrit-cuda-0.4.0/
python setup.py build
python setup.py install

pyrit list_cores
If all went well, you should have a list of available processors, including your GPU(s)!!

bench_result.jpg