Thread: IM Chat program preinstalled?

Question IM Chat program preinstalled?

I just installed Kali Linux 1.0 and I noticed that when I click on my username, the first 2 menu entries are "Avialable"/"Busy", as if I was running an IM chat program.
    Since I don't plan to use it, I'd like to remove it. What's its name?

Quote Originally Posted by blackdoor View Post
    I just installed Kali Linux 1.0 and I noticed that when I click on my username, the first 2 menu entries are "Avialable"/"Busy", as if I was running an IM chat program.
    Since I don't plan to use it, I'd like to remove it. What's its name?
    Seriously, no answer to this yet?

Why did the Kali team bother to include a weird, integrated chat program that is enabled by default? What ports does it leave open? Doesn't this IMMEDIATELY peg a box as a Kali Linux box if it is port scanned? (and why the **** is the hostname sent to DHCP by default as "kali?")

I would drop the silly "the quieter you are quote" when you put out a distro with built in chat that can't be disabled and automatic updates already enabled. **** idiots.
    Last edited by g0tmi1k; 2014-04-01 at 08:36. Reason: swearing

I found Kali thanks to my interest in the anonymous Linux distro Tails. If tails didn't have aircrack-ng, I don't know if I would have ever considered digging into the finer aspects of network security. So, it's only natural that I would like to see the pre-installed IM chat removed from Kali as well. It would be another major plus to the Kali project! And, as cited above, it would better suit the Kali motto "The quieter you become, the more you are able to hear."

A solution would be greatly appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by shirtsmiths View Post
    Seriously, no answer to this yet?

Why did the Kali team bother to include a weird, integrated chat program that is enabled by default? What ports does it leave open? Doesn't this IMMEDIATELY peg a box as a Kali Linux box if it is port scanned? (and why the **** is the hostname sent to DHCP by default as "kali?")

I would drop the silly "the quieter you are quote" when you put out a distro with built in chat that can't be disabled and automatic updates already enabled. **** idiots.
    Its not the kali team's fault your an idiot. "weird, integrated chat program" try standard, included in every linux, messaging. look up gnome session presence.

the quieter YOU are, the better off we would all be
    Last edited by g0tmi1k; 2014-04-01 at 08:36.