Thread: Kali linux on Lenovo G570 Fan problem

Question Kali linux on Lenovo G570 Fan problem

I have a Lenovo G570 laptop (2nd Gen Core i5, 4GB RAM, 500 GB HDD, No Graphic Card, No preinstalled OS) with Windows 8 installed on it.
    Recently I had installed Kali linux 1.0.4 also along with the windows 8 (Dual boot). Kali is working perfect. But what troubles me is that unlike in windows, my processor fan is running always. It never rests. I am afraid if it will cause some hardware trouble. Why is this happening? I dont have installed any drivers inside linux. Do I need to install any additional software or driver? If so which are them and where can I get them? I have tried the lenovo support website. But it does not have any linux drivers for my model. Please help me. I am a fan of Kali linux and i want to continue using it without any problem...
    Somebody please help... Thanks in advance...
    Last edited by sickn3ss; 2013-08-02 at 16:45.

Hi commander,

So a quick Google search does show a lot of people having issues with the fan on your model of laptop (see this link http://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Lenovo-3.../615787#M33443). Some of the drivers for the Lenovo's don't always work in Linux especially the ones around power management (ACPI) which might be causing the fan to always run.

I have a Lenovo Z580 which doesn't play well with Linux, to be honest I run Kali in a VM as it gives me a bit more flexibility and I don't have to worry about dual boot machines. You might find that's a better solution for yourself if you install virtualbox and create yourself a Kali VM (instructions are on the forums I believe).

Hope that helps.
    OSCP, OSWP, Packet Monkey

Thanks for your response. But, I would like to stick with a permanent install of Kali for variuos reasons.

look i have the same problem .. with my DELL Studio ...

maybe you can solve your problem by sensors

open terminal and type
    sensors-detect

and if Fan are detected .. you can control it easily